Backup power supplies

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Ive been without power and water for a few days at my new house. Long story.

Anyways ive been making do. Flushing toilets with water ive brought from my old place. For electric ive been recharging small devices with this.

Its alright. Long term i think i could recharge with the car.

Anyways it really got me thinking.

What are your plans for power?
I dont want or need to power my whole house. Im comfortable living pretty basic but am happy to hear about all house generators too.

Discussion of supplies could include:

-Small battery chargers for small devices (how many batteries to keep on hand?)
-Big batteries
-AC/DC inverters
-Solar powered chargers for small devices
-Backup batteries like the one pictured
-Small generator
-Big geneator (how much fuel to store?)

If a guy wanted to go real basic, couldnt you just hook up a stationary bike to an alternator and a car battery?

Rambling a bit in this one. The discussion should be good if not the prompt

Vaquero

Dog faced pony soldier
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Do you have any gas appliances?
Heat?
If you have nat gas you can get by with a pretty small generator.
For DC your car is sufficient.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Ive got some small propane heaters. I think they make some models safe to use indoors (somehow). Also...as a matter of perspective to wear i grew up it just doesnt get that cold here so i dont need too much.

All electric. No gas.

Its kind of an interesting spectrum. Some want zero interruption of normal life (or may need that due to age or disability) but from my Army and hiking daze I can make due with very little and be reasonably comfortable.

I am considering getting a small generator though. What are the good brands?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
I am considering getting a small generator though. What are the good brands?

Honda. Most are very quite relatively speaking.

Vaquero

Dog faced pony soldier
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Honda is tops, and priced accordingly.
Avoid the harbor freight units.
Tractor supply or home depot, lowes have serviceable units.
3000 watts will keep your refrigerator going and some lighting. You'll need a big unit if you want heat and ac, 15,000 watt or larger.
Your water heater will require 240 volt and 2000 watts alone if you want it to run.
It really depends on your own needs.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
Heat does take a bunch of electricity to make. Id run an electric space heater before i tried to power the house unit.

Im interested in how much power to have in stored form, in batteries and with an inverter to power or charge household items vs having the capacity to make power with a generator or otherwise recharge the batteries. It comes to how much power we want and how long we think things will be down.

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
He he, went off grid over a year ago an I'm not missing the monthly bill or the outages. About 3KW of solar, and I do anything I want without thinking about it much..

Off grid, electric heat is about the worst thing you can do, way too heavy on consumption for the result.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
TGT Supporter
Mar 30, 2009
Guadalupe Co.
He he, went off grid over a year ago an I'm not missing the monthly bill or the outages. About 3KW of solar, and I do anything I want without thinking about it much..

Off grid, electric heat is about the worst thing you can do, way too heavy on consumption for the result.
That sounds like the way to go. Could you ballpark how much it takes to get you to where you are now?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2010
DFW
I would suggest propane. (in my best Hank Hill voice) You can cook with it, heat your water, and if your HVAC is gas powered, the fan won't take much juice. A 250 gallon tank of propane can last a really long time. We (3 of us) could make 100 gallons last about 4 months in the summer.

Its off the grid, and relatively cheap. And the big truck comes to your place and fills your tank. I suggest renting the tank (less than $10 a month). They do the maint for fee that way.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members