• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Howdy gents.
    Well, in my pursuit of physical fitness, I severely pulled a muscle in my lower back doing squats.
    I can hardly sit on a toilet seat. Luckily all I have to do at work is climb into a crane.
    I figured you old codgers might have some advice on making it feel better. ;)

I've been alternating heat bands and tiger balm.

Thanks
    Target Sports

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Agreed on the no sudden movements..... I've got some allergies right now and the sneezing is KillinG my back...

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    IT DOES. The way the electric pulse stimulates it in a such a way that really does help the muscles relax.

What works well for me as well is a 30 pattern. 10 minutes of heat. 10 minutes of ICE COLD. 10 minutes of relax and do nothing. This is extremely similar to what my OT did with/for me for the chronic tennis elbow I had. Seemed to help my elbow. Might help your back.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    No whole lot of advice but be very very careful. I pulled one in my back in 02
    My friends had to carry me into the house. Locked up so bad that 4 shots of morphine
    Too two days to let me go.
    Im still in pain from that. Any thing you do from this point on can light that muscle up.
    Soak take it easy. And think about how you move lift etc.. I know this isn't much?help.
    But if you ignore these things im what you will become. One of the things I can is only drive a truck.

Cause i thought I was bullet proof. Some days i can't walk a block without tears commin.
    Prayers are with you

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I'm definitely taking it easy.
    I'm moving a crane today and had to have 2 other guys chain it for me. I keep getting the "you're too young for that" (I'm 25).

Thanks y'all. I might order one of those for me to help with this and then give it to my dad who always has back problems.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I'm moving a crane today and had to have 2 other guys chain it for me. I keep getting the "you're too young for that" (I'm 25).

Thanks y'all. I might order one of those for me to help with this and then give it to my dad who always has back problems.
    Baby that too young fo that is crazy.
    You sir are young but please don't let this haunt you for life. Find a good doc. And take whatever tests are required.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Ain't no such thing as too young.

I thought I was bullet proof for a long time. Used to do stupid things just because someone said I couldn't.

After spending the last few years in the truck I decided to prove again how tough (see: stupid) I was.

Turns out I CAN'T carry six bags of topsoil anymore, least not more than 5 steps. I'm still working through it but was lucky.

Here's a good song to think about when you want to be the winner.

It applies to much more than fighting.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Probably a light — I know it hurts like hell, but if you're moving it's minor — muscle strain due to poor form. Rest and stretching will help.

Lie back flat on the floor and raise your legs up and over your head to really stretch those thoracic muscles:
    stress_01_img0021.jpg

Next sit on the floor legs bent, place right elbow on left knee and push:
    stretching_before_9_ap_03.gif

Lying flat, lift one knee to a 90* angle and place knee on the opposite side floor:
    image019.jpg

These should help.

Once the pain subsides, try squatting with lower weight for a while and ensure you're using proper form and technique. Check your ego or you'll spend more time recovering from injury than training.

Dood trains olympians in Wichita Falls:

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Hurt my back badly when I was 20! I still feel it occasionally. My doctor then advised me to lay on the floor with my butt up against the bed and raise my legs and lay them on the bed. It helps immensely. 'Only way I could sleep for several days. It relieves the strain in the small of the back. Sounds too simple, but it does work.

Sunshine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Denton Texas
    I have some tips if you want. I rock climb and injure myself constantly!
    I know soaking in a bath is not manly for some but a Hot bath with mint, Epsom salt, and baking soda.
    There is a salve called Arnicare that helps relieve bruising and fresh turmeric and valerian root help with relaxing the muscle and is a pain relief. (I know...damn hippie juju, but it works!)
    I learned a lot about my surroundings and nature while camping/climbing, the natural Mullen plant that grows all over central/west Texas is great for your lungs!

Off my tiny soap box...

I hope you get to feeling better!

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have bad joints. When they slip, they pull muscles i did not lnow exhist. I can attest to the hot bath. Also if you lay on your side, make sur your back is straight and put a rolled oup towel between your knees. It helps, trust me.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ain't no such thing as too young.

I thought I was bullet proof for a long time
    Yep... I used to carelessly pick up engine blocks and transmissions and other heavy things. That eventually caught up to me and I over strained my back lifting a transmission up onto the workbench. Didn't think too much of the over-strained muscle at first, but later that day I bent over to pick up the laundry basket and *pop*!

I literately could not move for three days. Spent the entire time laying on the floor with my legs propped up on the couch. The only way I could sleep was to take muscle relaxers. This was about 9 years ago. My back still bothers me (constant dull pain), but there are two main things I find that helps.

1 is movement... I find my back hurts less when I'm consistently active. If I go on vacation and just lay around for three days strait my back will be hurting in no time.

2 is stretching. Some yoga stretching, using a foam roller, and an inversion table. All helps me a lot.

gunsup

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2014
    Go get a Acupunpure DR. The very thin needles work better than rubs or ointments and it lasts.

austinbirdnut

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2011
    Lat 30.495992 / Lon -97.729223
    All the above are good except that stretch with the guy twisting his low back...if you have a tear in a disc, or a even a small herniation, youre going to make it worse, guaranteed. As above, get off the heat...you dont run your finger under hot water when you smash it with a hammer, right? exactly....use ice ice ice....15off on, 45-60mins off....A LOT!!! dont fall for the "heat relaxes muscle" BS...you injured your musculo-skeletal chain and you have Inflammation!! heat will only ADD to that Inflammation, period. The chiro and TENS unit and Acupuncture are all good recs too...you cant just have a muscle issue or a joint issue, theyre all connected. LAstly, quit doing squats...no reason in the world you need them unless you are body building....Use a press machine or Do dumbell lunges all day long...better for your legs anyway and your back stays completely out of the exercise. Good luck young man...

Top Bottom