Gun Zone Deals

Bad day at the range! Multiple case ruputres!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    The first time out of the box I passed my CHL class with it. It worked fine with American Eagle rounds and the Hydrashok I put through it. It is one of the best quality hand guns I've handled. I'm having a hard time believing it is the gun and not the misc reloads I've accumulated. Maybe I'm in denial. All I have are older defense rounds I'm getting rid of and new Remington FMJ rounds. One more trip to the range. Any more problems and I know I've got to send the gun back.
    Lynx Defense

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    The first time out of the box I passed my CHL class with it.  It worked fine with American Eagle rounds and the Hydrashok I put through it.  It is one of the best quality hand guns I've handled.  I'm having a hard time believing it is the gun and not the misc reloads I've accumulated.  Maybe I'm in denial.  All I have are older defense rounds I'm getting rid of and new Remington FMJ rounds.  One more trip to the range.  Any more problems and I know I've got to send the gun back.

I do find myself missing my S&W 659. I don't think the thing ever even jammed no matter what I shot.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    How durable are the seals in the newer Wankels?
    115,000mi and still going strong. My old 12a would have crapped out twice by now, lol. They moved the ports to the side (instead of the edge) which seems to really help extend the life of the engine. I hear tho when they finally go, there's no rebuilding them. New engine time.

Go pick up a fresh box of Winchester White Box or Federal before your next range trip to rule out ammo. If it pops the new ammo also, it's definitely time for a trip back to FN.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I had several case ruptures.

What does the rupture look like? Is it at the head, mouth, or on the body? Pictures would go a long way in diagnosing the potential issue. How you define rupture is also subjective, is the case peeling open along your feed ramp or is the body/mouth developing a crack?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Interesting, did the rupture conform to your feedramp? Double charges are a very different feel than a simple case failure. In the former, there is an excessive amount of gas, recoil, gas "cutting" on your hands, ejection of the magazine, and possibly destruction of the barrel. However, in the latter, you wouldn't feel an overt recoil, it could be less than expected depending on when the case let go, it would simply vent a slight amount into the mag well, and you'd be a little suprised, maybe pissed, but not crapping yourself.

The casing may not have been annealed properly, depending on the failure rate, they may or may not have chosed to sell them into the market. In some cases, they'll pull-down the components and release them into the secondary but that is expensive and this may be the other end.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    They were at the base. In one instance the end of the casing almost ripped off.

If you have any of the unfired reloads, check the OAL of the casing (rim to mouth) in an unfired condition. A set of calipers will be required to measure thousanths. It sounds like the cases were not trimmed to spec and the mouth is flaring beyond the chamber as the bullet exits creating a wedge effect and the extractor is ripping the case while trying to eject. This will also result in excessive chamber pressures.
    Once fired brass will stretch and should be trimmed back to spec before reloading.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That is the reason almost every gun maker will not warrant their firearms if you shoot re-loads or re-manufactured ammunition.

Trust no reloads other than your own.

Not long ago, I bought some .357 Sig re-manufactured ammo. Before I took that ammo to the range, I weighed each round on a digital reloading scale.

I did not go to the range that day, because the variation in weight was +/- Seven Grains.

When I don't have time to re-load, I buy factory ammo and have a lot-number on the box should there be a problem.

Be well.

This. I've tried gunshow reloads, and I've known someone that reloads and sells at gunshows. The only way I'd use reloads are if they come from someone I trust with my life.

Robmoo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Arlington
    I went to the range today and fired off 100 rounds of older defense loads and Remington FMJ without a hitch. I'll have to pick up some reloads from the next gunshow and give them a try.

cfell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Hill Country
    Perchance the 'reloader' folks failed to properly lube the cases causing excessive force in the resize...either way, if you know the 'vendor' who built the rounds, they MIGHT be interested in hearing your 'field report'....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    As noted by others....the only reloads I trust are my own. I'm gonna go to a range, place my favorite (and only) hand around 1-2 lbs of steel and ignite an explosive force capable of maiming or killing me.....just ain't gonna take the chance!

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    cases were not trimmed to spec and the mouth is flaring beyond the chamber as the bullet exits creating

This is a pistol round that headspaces on the mouth, it would not return to battery if the casing itself was too long. There is no way for the mouth to expand/wedge like in the classic bottleneck cartridge case because the head is already hard up against the chamber shoulder. That is exactly the condition you have with a no-go gage when reaming a pistol chamber and the only concern is firing slightly out of battery but that is not the same thing you are describing where a round headspaces off the shoulder.

Maybe the cases were too long

There is a difference in the case length and the cartridge length. Bullet jammed into the lands (OAL), a problem, but case length in a 45ACP is probably not the culprit. However, like the case above that I mentioned, rounds that have an OAL too long are more likely to prevent return to battery, it would have to be excessively marginal.

Perchance the 'reloader' folks failed to properly lube the cases causing excessive force in the resize

Work hardening in 45ACP is unlikely, especially considering that carbide dies are the norm now and especially among anyone who manufactures ammunition. There almost no way to work harden pistol brass in such a spectacular way with a single sizing under normal conditions to cause a case to fail as described. Besides, even if the manufacturer used steel dies, the brass would have stuck in the die and ripped the head off before it came out if it was hard up, anyone who has stuck brass can attest to that, particularly large diameter brass.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    This is a pistol round that headspaces on the mouth, it would not return to battery if the casing itself was too long. There is no way for the mouth to expand/wedge like in the classic bottleneck cartridge case because the head is already hard up against the chamber shoulder. That is exactly the condition you have with a no-go gage when reaming a pistol chamber and the only concern is firing slightly out of battery but that is not the same thing you are describing where a round headspaces off the shoulder.QUOTE]

If you crimp, it can. I fully understand the headspacing issues of tapered and straight walled pistol cartriges.

Top Bottom