• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I read that Ballistol can be used regularly on leather to help protect and maintain it. Has anyone done this to a leather item they own to confirm this?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Neatsfoot Oil works good for leather. Ballistol also works for leather. Ballistol is water-based (not something they overly advertise) but has a “secret” formulation that helps protect leather too. I’m a fan of both products but for leather, probably prefer the Neatsfoot Oil (derived from the same source as the leather itself).

Something about eleven herbs & spices.... on no, wait.... that has to do with a chicken recipe.... nevermind.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Depends on the type dye and finish, if any, that is on the leather and how worn it is. Tandy Leather has several preservatives that work well. If it needs to be reshaped, anything that repels water is not going to help.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm interested in this. I made a knife sheath , native American style.. with soft goat leather, but its a buttery light color but I would like something to darken it a little bit...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I'm interested in this. I made a knife sheath , native American style.. with soft goat leather, but its a buttery light color but I would like something to darken it a little bit...

Have you done that for a while? I was wanting to make a sheath from an antelope hide I have.

Any advice on how to learn that would be appreciated.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson

I used a Kiwi leather conditioner product from the shoe department. It's a tan thick liquid in a small bottle. It turned my leather IWB holster a darker shade of leather. It went from very bright, new to a shade that made it look used. It also softened it up.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Mink oil paste might be good option. Depending on what tanning method was used it can darken quite a bit r just a little. Will also help water proof.
    Have you done that for a while? I was wanting to make a sheath from an antelope hide I have.

Is the hide tanned? Hair on or off?
    There again, tandy should have some videos on that or a pattern that will work.
    If you can come to the family reunion in April, I can help you make a pattern. I do leather work.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

I only made the one.
    It was back when I was into muzzle loaders and buckskin .lol
    I'm happy with it but I'm in no position to give advice !
    20190225_184558.jpg

Attachments

• 20190225_184558.jpg
      20190225_184558.jpg
      1.3 MB · Views: 720

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have made worse. I finished these for a friend recently.
    9931e3e4c55568f1f2054333ade5a8fd.jpg

Attachments

• 9931e3e4c55568f1f2054333ade5a8fd.jpg
      9931e3e4c55568f1f2054333ade5a8fd.jpg
      73.6 KB · Views: 802

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Ballistol works on pretty much anything that touches your gun...leather, wood, metal, even use it on my Glock frames and wipe them with a clean microfiber cloth.

There are better products for specific uses but it’s kept my 30 year old leather rifle sling in good shape...and I haven’t reapplied it in several years.

I’ll send pics when I get home if I think of it...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I have made worse. I finished these for a friend recently. View attachment 164007

Nice work!

Its tanned with hair on. The back of an antelope has fairly long hair, which I didn't realize till I got these hides back. But the legs and edges have short hair, and I think would make a nice sheath.

V, that goat leather looks really nice. Pretty soft? I had goat skin gloves once, and they were really soft leather.

Top Bottom