• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    They may have been limited as to where and when they could drop one or more anchors due to underwater pipes and cables! And, the two pilots on board would have been fully cognizant of those limitations.

This is what happened in the Straits of Mackinac just 6 years ago.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I never said that the move had anything to do with the container ship wreck.

You sound like @majormadmax and take whatever someone says and make a mockery of it.

So. a question I have for you two is.....if dropping the (I'm not a sailor so the terminology I'm using is all from a layman}
    rear/back anchor makes the front of the ship go left towards the pylons, why didn't the captain drop the front
    anchor to make the ship go between the pylons instead of to them?

I’d recommend checking out a channel called “What’s going on in Shipping” to get more information on the timeline of events and when which anchors were dropped, along with the effects of dropping those anchors.

Anything I say about why another anchor was or wasn’t dropped would be an uneducated guess.

As far as making a mockery of what you said: The comment was deserving of mockery. If you felt the movie had nothing to do with this topic you wouldn’t have posted about it here. So you either have a case of Bidenitis and say random nonsense unrelated to the subject matter, or you do/did think it’s somehow related and are too ashamed to actually admit it so you fall back on “look at this thing. I’m not saying it’s worth looking at, but you should definitely look at it”. I’m fine with being open minded. But I won’t be so open minded that my brain falls out.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    I’d recommend checking out a channel called “What’s going on in Shipping” to get more information on the timeline of events and when which anchors were dropped, along with the effects of dropping those anchors.

Anything I say about why another anchor was or wasn’t dropped would be an uneducated guess.

As far as making a mockery of what you said: The comment was deserving of mockery. If you felt the movie had nothing to do with this topic you wouldn’t have posted about it here. So you either have a case of Bidenitis and say random nonsense unrelated to the subject matter, or you do/did think it’s somehow related and are too ashamed to actually admit it so you fall back on “look at this thing. I’m not saying it’s worth looking at, but you should definitely look at it”. I’m fine with being open minded. But I won’t be so open minded that my brain falls out.

I'd recommend that you start at the 1st post here and keep reading until you find the post that says "dropping the rear anchor would cause the ship to go the the left."

Without you being an expert, everything you say is an uneducated guess. Just like most of us.

I didn't say the movie had anything to do with the ship hitting the pylon. It was just a post that I saw on a different form
    about a ship wreck movie that one of our countries worst haters was involved in. Open minded? if ,almost, one
    disagrees with you, you have to put them down and make a mockery of what they say. if your fine with being open
    minded, you sure as hell don't show it.

You, and a few others, 99 % of your post is pretending you know what the truth is and what isn't You need to keep an
    open mind and stop yourself from thinking you know everything.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd recommend that you start at the 1st post here and keep reading until you find the post that says "dropping the rear anchor would cause the ship to go the the left."

Without you being an expert, everything you say is an uneducated guess. Just like most of us.

I didn't say the movie had anything to do with the ship hitting the pylon. It was just a post that I saw on a different form
    about a ship wreck movie that one of our countries worst haters was involved in. Open minded? if ,almost, one
    disagrees with you, you have to put them down and make a mockery of what they say. if your fine with being open
    minded, you sure as hell don't show it.

You, and a few others, 99 % of your post is pretending you know what the truth is and what isn't You need to keep an

So you spread manure from some other forum to another without looking in to it at all? That makes anything you post suspect of being nonsense.

I’ve read this thread from the beginning and know what was said here. I offered you a more reliable source for the information though. That’s where we differ. You are spreading garbage about bad movies, I’m offering reliable sources. And surprise, you have no interest in the reliable source.

Curious where you draw the line with your open mind. Are you also open minded when it comes to men pretending to be women? If not, you are no different than the accusation you just made against me. Only difference is my Bullshit meter has a better calibration.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    So you spread manure from some other forum to another without looking in to it at all? That makes anything you post suspect of being nonsense.

I’ve read this thread from the beginning and know what was said here. I offered you a more reliable source for the information though. That’s where we differ. You are spreading garbage about bad movies, I’m offering reliable sources. And surprise, you have no interest in the reliable source.

Curious where you draw the line with your open mind. Are you also open minded when it comes to men pretending to be women? If not, you are no different than the accusation you just made against me. Only difference is my Bullshit meter has a better calibration.

I'm sure you know what spreading manure is. You do it all the time.

You offered a more reliable source? How do you know it's more reliable? Just because because you say it is?
    You make it sound like no one knows what's going on except you and your "reliable' source. You never said
    your reliable source was on the ship and was helping the captain try to control the ship. If you had, we would
    not be having this conversation.

No one knows exactly the reason why the ship crashed into the pylon. Most everyone, including you, are stating
    why the ship crashed and you have NO idea why, except your , reliable source, said so.

Wake up, pull your head out of your ass and (try) to think that you don't know everything and just because
    you say something doesn't mean it's true.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm sure you know what spreading manure is. You do it all the time.

You offered a more reliable source? How do you know it's more reliable? Just because because you say it is?
    You make it sound like no one knows what's going on except you and your "reliable' source. You never said
    your reliable source was on the ship and was helping the captain try to control the ship. If you had, we would
    not be having this conversation.

No one knows exactly the reason why the ship crashed into the pylon. Most everyone, including you, are stating
    why the ship crashed and you have NO idea why, except your , reliable source, said so.

Wake up, pull your head out of your ass and (try) to think that you don't know everything and just because
    you say something doesn't mean it's true.

I didn’t say the guy knew what happens on the ship. I said he was a reliable source for information. Being reliable means not making up grand theories. You’re beating up a straw man. You can’t find a post of mine claiming I know what happened.

But what I’m not doing is posting idiotic shit about Netflix movies because I saw it on another forum.

Hell, that’s the kind of shit I would post if I was trying to troll people. And now I realize that you probably got me. If so, I applaud you sir.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Pols already admitting that getting the port re-opened is about Baltimore economy, not national. Auto/farm Co's already stated they are bypassing and OK. Lot of containers will need re-routing by truck to a port.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

Wow, either someone is an expert or they're completely ignorant on a subject?!?

Maybe that's your problem, you think everyone is as uneducated as you are!

For one, I know a lot of people in the US Navy, either present or in the past, to include a fair number of Surface Warfare Officers.

We have had numerous conversations on this accident and the consensus is all the same, it was an accident.

I also have access to a lot of information the general public does not see. I looked for any evidence of a terrorist attack and there was none. Zero.

So, while you can make up any explanation that tickles your little mind, those of use who use critical thinking skills and the hypothesis of competing analysis process are far more likely to figure out the truth.

You can go on believing the moon is made of cheese, thus the 1969 landing had to have been faked!

I'm not wasting my time even scrolling past your useless posts anymore, it's much easier to put you on my 'Ignore' list so they don't even show up.

Please do the same for me!

And yes, I have little tolerance for idiots!

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Wow, either someone is an expert or they're completely ignorant on a subject?!?

Maybe that's your problem, you think everyone is as uneducated as you are!

For one, I know a lot of people in the US Navy, either present or in the past, to include a fair number of Surface Warfare Officers.

We have had numerous conversations on this accident and the consensus is all the same, it was an accident.

I also have access to a lot of information the general public does not see. I looked for any evidence of a terrorist attack and there was none. Zero.

So, while you can make up any explanation that tickles your little mind, those of use who use critical thinking skills and the hypothesis of competing analysis process are far more likely to figure out the truth.

You can go on believing the moon is made of cheese, thus the 1969 landing had to have been faked!

I'm not wasting my time even scrolling past your useless posts anymore, it's much easier to put you on my 'Ignore' list so they don't even show up.

Please do the same for me!

And yes, I have little tolerance for idiots!

And there you go. You and all of your "people" agree that it was an accident and none of you were on the ship nor
    did you have any people on the ship. all you and your educated cronies are doing is speculating about what happened.

I can't tell you where my source is located or what my source does. this information is way above you and your
    peoples pay grade.

As you said... y'all have had NUMEROUS CONVERSATIONS of this accident and all of you agreed it was
    just an accident.

I never said it was a terrorist attack. Your the one who can't read and comprehend the written word. Just because
    you and your people? say a certain thing happened or didn't happen does NOT make it the truth.

And thanks for putting me on ignore.

Oh! and by the way. it's swiss and in a field in West Texas.

ETA.... My wife and I have had numerous conversations on this subject and our consensus is that none of us
    knows who or why this accident happened. All any of us can do is speculate. This includes you and your people.

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK, let's walk through this deliberate attack theory...

If that were the case, why did the terrorists wait until a time where there was minimum traffic on the Key Bridge?

By its very definition, terrorism is "the calculated use of violence, or the threat of violence, to attain political goals through fear, intimidation or coercion. It usually involves a criminal act, often symbolic in nature, and is intended to influence an audience beyond the immediate victims."

What political goals trying to be reached here? Was it in response to the US warning Russia of the Moscow attacks? With all the financial aid this country is providing Ukraine, would Zelenskyy risk that? Impacting the US economy? The Port of Baltimore is not the largest port on the East Coast. The ports of New York and New Jersey are. Baltimore averages about 50 million tons of goods valued at about $80 billion a year, but those goods can easily be redirected to other ports along the East Coast. If it was indeed a terrorist attack to impact imports, why didn't it occur on the West Coast where a greater majority of goods arrive from Asia? If that was the intent, the attackers didn't do their homework when picking targets!

What is the symbolism of the Key Bridge? Obviously, the World Trade Center and Pentagon (plus the White House if you believe that was Flight 93's target) have huge symbolism, and I've heard a theory Wall Street was another target (Mayor Giuliani urged financial industry personnel to return quickly to the greater Wall Street area after the attack. The U.S. stock market remained shuttered until Sept. 17, its most prolonged closure since the Great Depression). While the Key Bridge means a lot to those in Baltimore, most Americans weren't aware of its presence or role in ground transportation on the East Coast.

Lastly, how has the "attack" influenced its intended target audience? Other than exaggerated claims, thanks to factual reporting most realize it was simply a maritime accident caused by a power outage. It's not the first ship to hit a bridge, and it won't be the last. There is a chance it will have a slight impact on the US economy but that already fluctuates so much daily that it will likely go unnoticed if it does even happen.

Lastly, for any terrorist attack to have credence, those responsible for it will claim credit. That didn't happen in Baltimore, so what is the point of carrying out an attack if no one knows who did it? There is zero credible evidence of it being a terrorist attack, and the theories it was are unfounded. Such events are always fodder for fringe figures, many of them on the far right, to amplify their world views that often feature shadowy cabals or major unseen threats. It's also food for those social media "influencers" who prey on the ignorance of their followers to spew such theories. For those claiming it was a cyberattack, please explain how it was conducted given the lack of connectivity aboard the vessel (it has no Internet). Also share how the attacker was able to breach the ship's power and navigation systems, which would be separate from any communication networks.

So, dismissing the claims of the uninitiated, this event does not meet any of the criteria for a terrorist attack; and that conclusion is supported by a lack of evidence. According to Heuer's Analysis of Competing Hypotheses (ACH), for any possibility to be considered, it must have evidence and arguments (including assumptions and logical deductions) for and against. Each piece of evidence is examined individually against all possible hypotheses, then after refinement the analyst draws tentative conclusions about the relative likelihood of each. Less consistency implies a lower likelihood, and the least consistent hypotheses are eliminated.

Given the lack of true "evidence" supporting it, the conspiracy theory that the Key Bridge accident was a terrorist attack simply does not survive the scrutiny of Heure's ACH!

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Well, barge hit a bridge in Ok this week end. HiPo says just an accident but no given reason for the mishap. Buttboy will have it checked out.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    If that were the case, why did the terrorists wait until a time where there was minimum traffic on the Key Bridge?

The way they hide the terrorism is by making it not look like terrorism. They are sneaky that way, right? The terrorists that tend to survive longer are the ones that don't call attention to themselves. With that said, not all terrorism is designed for maximal damage.

Maybe this was the only ship they could control in the window of opportunity?

Maybe the ship was off schedule?

Maybe this was a secondary target because the primary was unavailable or unattainable? Maybe the primary attack actually failed to occur and this was just a supportive attack?

What political goals trying to be reached here? Was it in response to the US warning Russia of the Moscow attacks? With all the financial aid this country is providing Ukraine, would Zelenskyy risk that? Impacting the US economy?

First, it should be pointed out that not all terrorism is based on political goals. There is also social terrorism, such as the burning of Black churches

Until we know who did it, knowing the actual political or social/societal goals likely will not be possible. With that in mind, it is also important to understand that political or social goals may not be the only goals involved. For all we know, this is a proof of concept terrorist attack. The terrorists are using this to gather intel on the effectiveness of what they did, the civilian response and response capabilities, and federal government's response times as well. Who knows?

If we go with some of the more paranoid people's claims, this isn't the goal of the attack as much as the distraction caused by the attack. The terrorists are merely using this event to hide other activities that will lead up to them accomplishing their goals, you know, like this just being Step 1 of a multi-phase program. Maybe while the bridge disaster was going on and all services were looking to the bridge, a semisubmersible surfaced a few miles down shore and offloaded a terrorist cell onto US land...which was the whole goal of the operation with the bridge.

What is the symbolism of the Key Bridge?
    The bridge may not be the symbol, but the port itself and the easiest way to shut down a port like Baltimore is to shut down access. If terrorists did it, then they accomplished at least one goal. Maybe the US as a country was the symbol and giving us a black eye was the goal? It may be symbolic to them to show their peers that it could be done. The question is when it comes to symbolism, to you need to know all of the target audience(s).

What was the symbolism of the Boston Marathon bombing? What was the symbolism of the Sunset Limited that was derailed by terrorists? Sometimes, what is damaged isn't the symbolic goal.

Was this domestic terrorism or international?

Lastly, how has the "attack" influenced its intended target audience?

Well, a few million Americans already "KNOW" this was a terrorist attack and are vapidly trying to convince others.

Lastly, for any terrorist attack to have credence, those responsible for it will claim credit. That didn't happen in Baltimore, so what is the point of carrying out an attack if no one knows who did it?

Kind of heavy handed on the "Lastlies," but this is probably the only question I don't actually have a problem with. Not all terrorists claim their attacks or claim them at or near the time of the attack. "Credence" isn't always any sort of goal and it isn't a trait of terrorism. A terroristic attack can occur without credence to the cause and still be a terror attack.

The Oklahoma City Bombing wasn't claimed by the perps. Americans did then what they are doing now and pulling stuff out of their asses. Americans were convinced the bombing in OKC was by terrorists (specifically, Middle Eastern Terrorists). This worked in the actual terrorists' favor who were white guys. Their goals weren't known until AFTER their capture.

Even more confusing is the fact that often is the case that multiple groups will take credit for an attack and given reasons for why they did it, despite the fact that they weren't the ones to do it and the reasons & goals expressed by them were not the reasons and goals of the people who actually carried out the attack.

-------------------

I know it is hard for many people to believe, you and I not being among them, but accidents do sometimes happen. People are sometimes incompetent. Do any of y'all recall the brief period of panic that occurred in NYC when that plane crashed...into a neighborhood shortly after 9/11? Seems like EVERYONE knew it was terrorists. Al Queda even claimed credit. It wasn't. The plane hit wake turbulence and the first officer over corrected and literally over stressed the plane to failure...and this was not the first such event of this happening to Airbus 300s and a flight directive had to be released concerning operation of the aircraft in such circumstances, but everyone 'knew' it was terrorism until it was determined that it wasn't. Funny how that works.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    So, what do you bunch of bar stool think tank types think about the following:

1) NTSB says that there is 2 minutes of data missing from the little black bow they took off the Dali.

2) There is talk that the 'Pilot' is a black woman.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    1) NTSB says that there is 2 minutes of data missing from the little black bow they took off the Dali.

Already been addressed in this thread - the missing data from the data recorder is consistent with the time the ship had no power. No power to run the lights and engines, no power to run the data recorder and no data to record. The voice recorder did keep working.

2) There is talk that the 'Pilot' is a black woman.

Not sure why "Pilot" is in quotes, it's the job description. Also not sure what the pilot's race and gender have to do with anything. Nobody can steer a cargo ship with no power, and nobody can stop one on a dime. To reverse the screw you apparently have to kill the engine, switch gears, then start the engine back up...and on a single screw ship (which that one is) that'll cause you to yaw to the side exactly as it did. If it had happened a few hundred feet earlier, it would be a close call that didn't even make the news.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Already been addressed in this thread - the missing data from the data recorder is consistent with the time the ship had no power. No power to run the lights and engines, no power to run the data recorder and no data to record. The voice recorder did keep working.

Not sure why "Pilot" is in quotes, it's the job description. Also not sure what the pilot's race and gender have to do with anything. Nobody can steer a cargo ship with no power, and nobody can stop one on a dime. To reverse the screw you apparently have to kill the engine, switch gears, then start the engine back up...and on a single screw ship (which that one is) that'll cause you to yaw to the side exactly as it did. If it had happened a few hundred feet earlier, it would be a close call that didn't even make the news.

Thank you for bringing common sense to the party.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio

Don't you need to go and invent another imaginary cartridge?

Top Bottom