Target Sports

Barska "sniper" scope for $99, good deal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    I have had no problems with the value that you get out of a Barska. For $99 they're a decent quality and will perform well up to 300 yrds just fine.

hink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2011
    Amarillo
    Not a huge fan of the Barska.

That being said, match the quality of the scope to the quality of the rifle. If you're running a $100 rifle, then a $100 scope works. If you're running a $700 rifle, then you're going to hate a $100 scope on it. I won't go so far as to say that Barska and others in that price range are crap -- but you get what you pay for.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    No particular rifle in mind, Considered getting it for a smith and wesson 25/06 which has a bushnell right now, or possibly on some quick detach rings for my ar carbine. Also have a .243 savage with a bushy scope. The site claims the msrp is $350 which seemed alittle to good to be true but if it was a good deal i didn't want to pass it up. I'm not as concerned about the illuminated reticle, but setting the target charts for one round would make it alot easier to transition between the two. I plan to get a serbu .50 in april but i figured the lenses would fall out if i tried to mount this scope on it. lol

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    A true sniper scope will cost you 10-15 times that.
    Will this scope do anything expected of a sniper scope? No it won't.
    Can you expect it to crater within 100 rounds? Yes.
    Save your money and buy A better scope!

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    I have one of their higher end scopes, on my Ruger 10/22 works just fine there, had it on my Ruger M77 MkII for awhile as well. Not bad for the money.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are you in dire need of a cheap scope?

If they tried to sell them for $350, they could halt production because they wouldn't sell another one. MSRP is an advertising gimmick.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    By the way, if you double that $99 price tag, you can get a lower end Leupold new. A low end Leupold is 10x better than a top end Barska.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The $125-150 new Redfield's are the cheapest optic I would recommend. Pretty much everything else I've found under $200 is poor quality in comparison.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    ive used 2 barskas with decent results one on an ar and one on a mosin. both have seen well over 1000 rounds and still do pretty well.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Google Barsaka and find out where they are made (hint: NOT in the U.S.) and that should tell you all you want to know.

A decent variable, American made, medium grade scope will be in the $250 and up range. And as someone alluded to previously, the cost of a scope should figure in on the cost of the rifle. My theory is the scope should cost at least as much as the rifle. Just my two bits.

Top Bottom