Target Sports

Beginner .22s: Cricket, Henry, Remington....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    So you have the Cricket for about $100. I thought it looked a little cheap.

The Henry is around $200. I like it much more, seemed to be much better quality. Twice as much though, so it should be.

But now I've seen the Remington 514 Youth on the net. They go for about $130, maybe around $100 on sale at Academy sometime.

Anybody have an opinion on any of these? Especially interested in the Remington if it's better than the Cricket.
    Hurley's Gold

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    I suspect by the OP's cosniderations that he is not wanting to go with a semi-auto...a bolt or lever action being a much better platform for beginners.

Other considerations:

As light and compact as possible: trainer for a small child.

As light and compact as possible: maybe used as a secondary gun for "pot" meat once they grow into something bigger, "survival" rifle, etc.

Quality: maybe they'll want to pass it down to their child one day.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I am going to suggest 180 from you guys.
    Get him a ruger 10-22 with a telescoping stock and a red dot sight.
    Start him off with you hand loading into the chamber. Once he's safe let him single load using a magazine.
    Later load up the mag and let him go to town.

He will have an enjoy the gun his entire life. Mod it endlessly and he will never outgrow it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ever try loading a single round into the chamber of a 60 or 795?
    The 60 can be a pain, but for the 795 just pop the mag out, put one round in, and then put it back in. I don't see what the issue is with training new shooters on a semi auto anyways. You're going to be right there with them helping them practice anyways. Just instruct them to pull the trigger once.

The 795 I have has a synthetic stock and is quite light. Any kid old enough to shoot should be able to hold it. As far as longevity; one of my 60's was my dad's that he bought in the early 70s. Can't even hazard a guess on how many rounds through it. Lots... Still shoots great. The 10/22 with an adjustable stock isn't a bad idea either. That way the rifle can grow as they do and it can also be comfortably used by all members of the family.

bloodstainedking

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I am going to suggest 180 from you guys.
    Get him a ruger 10-22 with a telescoping stock and a red dot sight.
    Start him off with you hand loading into the chamber. Once he's safe let him single load using a magazine.
    Later load up the mag and let him go to town.

He will have an enjoy the gun his entire life. Mod it endlessly and he will never outgrow it.

Best reply. Why waste money on starter rifle when you can get them one that will grow with them their whole lives.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I don't see what the issue is with training new shooters on a semi auto anyways.

Didn't really intend to make it come across like such a big deal. I started on a semi-auto .22 when I was 6, and my son started on a semi-auto when he was five. :)

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    The crickets were better when they were Chipmunks. I bought two before I had kids, I had a gunshop and put them away. Ended up with three kids...opps. The Chipmunks were the same gun but these both had nice burled walnut stocks and shot pretty well.

If I was looking for a kids gun, long term I'd buy something more solid, something they can use in their teens an later. The T/C or Remington.

Top Bottom