• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My lady, Bonnie bought a Berretta Tomcat in 32acp. She carried it for a while until I gave her a Glock 26 9MM which is her carry gun, now. We heard all kinds of funky things about the Tomcat including cracking of frames but we never had any problems with it and it's still ticking right along.

Flash

My mother has a bobcat. Nice little gun, thought the slide bitest he heck out of my hand when I fire it. Cool design.
    Military Camp

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    Admittedly, the Beretta tomcats have a poor reputation for cracking. I wouldn't buy one myself. But, I love the 92's

I have owned a PX4 storm in the past too, and itw as a nice weapon.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The issue with 92 frames was during military testing. The SEALS cracked some slides during heavy testing. Beretta corrected the issue before the actual purchase for issue to the troops.

Most folks who complain never owned or carried one, and the "problems" they speak of are either mistaken, exaggeraged or just out right lies. I read the posts here of some who owned them and didn't like them, and that is a fair complaint. However, most are not.

Way back when most cops still carried revolvers, my department allowed officers to transition to semi-auto if we bought the gun and gear, and we had to attend a mandatory 3 day transition course. We abused the hell out of them, and there were no stoppages. We tried to creat malfunctions by loading fired brass into the magazines, but often the Beretta would chamber the round.

Low recoil, 15 round magazine, easy to handle. We had no corrosion issues, and I was on the Gulf Coast. The safety/decocker is a great tool for LE.

I was very pleased with my Beretta.

jedwil

2d Amendment Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Hilll Country
    I have been pleased with my 92SBC for more than a couple of decades. Has served me well and I prefer it to the newer DAO's. Like my old S&W 469 as well....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wanted a Beretta 92 for a long time. I'm ex Air Force and qualified on the M9, but never actually carried it. By the time I got around to owning one of my own, I had several other pistols as well. The 92 just didn't really do anything for me so I got rid of it. I prefer my Sigs more. I have nothing against the 92, it just doesn't get me excited.

I don't understand "haters" anyways. Raging on someone else's favorite thing won't make up for your penis size ;)

atxtj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I had an M9 issued to me in the army. I beat the crap out of them in my M1 and never had one not go bang when I asked it to. It sufficiently knocked down silhouettes and was comfortable when worn in shoulder rig inside the tank. Would I own one outside of the army? Nah, not really my style, too big and unwieldy for a little guy like me. But I was happy to carry one in the service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2010
    Ft. Hood/San Antonio
    Funny i see this thread today. We just went through 2 days of M9 qualifications. I am a small arms repairmen and i have worked on the weapon a few times. I think in the over 200 some work orders i have done on weapons only 2 or three were for the berretta. One time one of our m9s wouldnt decock the hammer when placed on safe (which i kinda thought was neat since i hate the m9 double action trigger pull) the other one i replace a rear sight mainly for cosmetic reasons, and i cant remember the third problem but it was something minor. Its a pretty simply weapon to detail strip, the hardest part are the tiny springs and detents in the safety in my oppinion. In my maintnance unit only officers and high ranking enlisted soldiers are givin M9's. Well during the two days of qualifications i kept hearing about how it was a innacurate weapon and what not. Saw many female soldiers (and a couple male soldiers) manage to limp wrist the gun enough to cause feeding and extraction issues that they blamed on the weapon and not their grip. So finally today i had to show off a little and run through the qualification tables with an expert rating and zero malfunctions. But to be honest i own a beretta 92and i shoot a whole lot more often then any of the officers or NCO's that were there probably. But I wanted to show them that it is a good solid weapon. the only two things i have to say negative about it is that I hate the DA/SA trigger pull, and from a service pistol standpoint that the grip is a little large for shooters with small hands. I will say it is a very accurate firearm though and a great pistol to teach a new shooter on. I have been coaching my fiance on it for about 6 months now. When she first started she was very nervous about recoil. Our first range trip i had her shooting my heritage arms rough rider revolver in .22LR. after about 100 rounds of that i switched out the cylinder to .22 mag and let her shoot a few cylinders of that before i told her. Once i told her she had been shooting a "magnum" round she felt confident enough to try the beretta. Its one of her favorite guns to shoot now and she always makes sure it finds itself into the range bag now. She also always ask's me to make sure i have plenty of rounds for it when we go shooting. And to be honest she has become quite accurate with it from 15 yards and in. As for me, I enjoy shooting it alot but will always be partial to my 1911's and my true "magnums (not the .22MAG LOL) I dont see myself ever parting with it. My model was a police trade in that i payed 335 bucks for off of jgsales.com and it came with Night sights. I installed a crimson trace lasergrip on it. And when i deploy or if i ever have to leave her home alone for any period of time i will rest easy knowing she has that close to her

Berretta M92FS 9mm.jpg

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    No hate from me!

I like shooting my personal Beretta (92FS Compact Type M), and it is a great gun to teach people how to shoot. Smooth action and very accurate. However, I would never carry it or use it during any kind of competition because of the safety. I just can't dedicate the time to get fast in its operation. My EDC is a P228 on duty and either a Glock or J-frame off duty, so I've got that muscle memory built in to draw and shoot. I can easily transition to a 1911 because its safety is very natural and intuitive for me... but I never carry my Colt either.

-Randy

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I would say a majority of the time the Beretta gets a bad wrap is due to user error and lack of maintenance. They work just fine as long as you lubricate them. I would say the number one thing I see at my job with all guns in general is that almost no one ever actually lubricates their guns. One week I had to lube like ~14-17 1911's and several other types of guns because no one takes care of their stuff. Unless it's a Glock, that's like running your engine without oil. ;) On top of that, the only other issue I see with Berettas is a LOT of the military contract produced magazines are absolute trash. There may be some decent contract mags out there, I just don't know but, all the ones I've seen were not what I would choose to use. So bottom line, keep it lubed and use good quality Mecgar mags and they run just fine.

I have only two gripes about Berettas. First is they are way too wide IMO for what they are. Second is I severely dislike a slide mounted safety. I've experienced and seen others experience accidental activation of the safety when manipulating the slide a lot, such as with clearing malfunctions. The width isn't a big deal to me. If they either just moved the safety to the frame or removed the safety all together I'd like them a lot more. All that being said, I'd really like a 9mm Vertec now after having a chance to check one out recently.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I'm actually a big fan of the 92fs. The one i have is an old police trade in and is a tack driver out to 20 yards which isn't much but great for me. The only malfunction i've had was a few misfeeds while using some seriously underpowered wolf ammo.

Top Bottom