• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Apparently had some side effects TR???...lol I think John Q Public just wants watter that does not taste shitty..IMO

Yessir, and I understand that - which is why I recommended a carbon filter. Thing is, when someone starts saying that the Berkey filter will make water safe to drink from any source.....that's not right - and THAT could get someone killed. I've seen more than one instance where water TASTED and LOOKED fine. Drinking it, though, WOULD KILL YOU.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Yessir, and I understand that - which is why I recommended a carbon filter. Thing is, when someone starts saying that the Berkey filter will make water safe to drink from any source.....that's not right - and THAT could get someone killed. I've seen more than one instance where water TASTED and LOOKED fine. Drinking it, though, WOULD KILL YOU.

I believe that also. I am glad that we have an expert in the field. I know that when I talk to people about having a 100A clean room I get some funny looks.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    I've had some conversations with TR, and he's taught me some very important things regarding residential water systems.

His Vast Knowledge and Experience with water is unrivaled.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I believe that also. I am glad that we have an expert in the field. I know that when I talk to people about having a 100A clean room I get some funny looks.

Don't EVEN say "clean room" in my presence!!! These guys build 'em - THEN remember they need things like pure water in 'em.....you ever seen the look on someone's face when you tell 'em yer gonna drill through the wall of a Class 10000 clean room?!???? One guy was really going off on me, until I asked him how the hell I was supposed to run pipe through a wall WITHOUT a hole.....sheesh!

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Don't EVEN say "clean room" in my presence!!! These guys build 'em - THEN remember they need things like pure water in 'em.....you ever seen the look on someone's face when you tell 'em yer gonna drill through the wall of a Class 10000 clean room?!???? One guy was really going off on me, until I asked him how the hell I was supposed to run pipe through a wall WITHOUT a hole.....sheesh!

I kinda figured you would get a kick out of that...lol They didn't tell you about the pipless water system?...

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

How do you know when water can kill you? Is there some sort of portable test that's available?

I ask because I've drunken water out of old wells, tanks, rivers, etc with a Katadyn, or dropped tablets and drank through a charcoal straw, etc. I'd hate to have someone (especially me) die just because they went camping or hiking with me.

ETA: I get that a true pure system is $$. I'm asking about something reasonable for common applications

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's all kinds of shit that can be present in water that normal methods won't kill off - rare, but it's there. And there's just no way of accurately testing for all of 'em in the field without a full-blown lab - and some results can take days to obtain. That's why I ONLY drink unknown water supplies when there's absolutely NO other alternative.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I appreciate your insight TR. Very helpful. I guess a lot of it comes down to what your risk tolerance is and what resources you have available.

More of calculated risk, IMO.....open mountain streams can be some of the worst in terms of contamination, as are stock tanks, etc. - but the streams are what surprises everyone, because they presume they're "pure".

Top Bottom