• ...and so much more!
  • Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Getting ready to buy a 762/308 can for a 308 that I have on my list. It will spend a lot of time on a 556 until then. In your opinion what is the best one to buy? A QD mount is what I am thinking.
    DK Firearms

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    From what I've read screw-on cans are better for precision rifles and QD for everything else.

I'm hoping the AAC SDN6 I bought doesn't change the POI too drastically.

Where's Scott or HKusp1 at? They'd know.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Really depends on budget and intended use. IMO there isnt a better qd can for the money than the yhm titanium qd and for thread on the thunderbeast 30p1. The griffin armament brake attqch cans are very nice looking. When silencershop gets serial numbers from griffin I'll be ordering this one
    Recce 7 -

It will be used mainly on my bolt guns and my yhm ti will remain pulling duty on the ARs. The specwar is another nice one but the yhm is a lot lighter and imo has a btter mounting device. I do not like cans that have the capture device built into the can. Its just one more thing to go wrong.

I'll be in houston in a couple weeks if you want to check out my yhm.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You should really look at quick disconnect cans if you are getting just one. There are many makes of .308 rifles and almost as many threading options, unlike 5.56 rifles that are all mainly the same threads.

Also make sure your can is rated for what you intend to shoot. Some are only rated for subsonic ammo. If you put it on a full power .300 Win Mag you may have issues.

I am by no means an expert but I am in the market also. This is just what I have picked up so far about them.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Getting ready to buy a 762/308 can for a 308 that I have on my list. It will spend a lot of time on a 556 until then. In your opinion what is the best one to buy? A QD mount is what I am thinking.

OpsInc, Surefire SOCOM, or AAC SDN6

If you want the best you are going to have to pay for it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Chuck, after much research and deliberation, I went with the SDN-6. There are a lot of great cans out there, making the decision a really tough one. Tom went with YHM, so that was one I was really leaning towards as well (you know he knows his stuff).

Last edited:

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    The SilencerCo SpecWar 7.62 is a great can. I would say the 762SD from AAC if you could still get one of the old ones, don't like the SDN-6 as much.

I have one of each of those.

The Surefire is supposed to be a great can..... if you can find one and can afford one.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    TBAC 30P1 is a great can, especially for bolt rifles. Surefire SOCOM and AAC sdn762 can are both nice, I might be inclined to lean more towards the new SF can.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Does anyone have links to articles or videos comparing the new socom surefires to other offerings? From what I can see the surefires are about 50% more expensive and dont really get you anything but maybe more combat durability. Theyre not the lightest and not the quietest but they are the most expensive. One of my next cans will be a 5.56 mini can and they've got a few that meet my requirements.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I have 2 AAC and 3 YHM QD in 556 and 762(Ti and steel)

AR: After 5-7 mag dumps its easier to take off a near red hot YHM than an AAC

Bolt action: AAC feels good

But if I have to choose just 1 between AAC and YHM I would blindly go with YHM for the following reasons

1. Easy to remove when extremely hot
    2. Prices are a lot cheaper on YHM ( under $600 )
    3. YHM cans dont wobble after a few mag dumps
    4. FH are pretty strong
    5. I saw less POI shift on YHM than AAC both on AR and bolt action

All above are my personal experience

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    The best choice might be "whatever is in stock at the dealer". That's literally the only reason I got the 7.62 SDN6 instead of a cheaper YHM.

Wait 2.5 more months and that executive action BS will be in effect and if you can't get a CLEO sign off you'll miss your chance entirely.

How long are Form 3's running these days? Plus whatever time it takes for the manufacturer to build the things. I wouldn't count on being able to get a model that's not in stock in time before the rule change. That's if they don't retroactively screw us all anyway with that horsecrap.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom