• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Been saving up and am ready for a SHTF 9mm handgun more along the tactical lines Im pretty sure I want the Sig Tac Ops.But I wanted to see I you guys had advice on anything I might of missed .What would you get?
    Texas SOT

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Full size? P226. The 229 isn't a full size.

I've got the earlier P226 that came out before the Tac Ops. Only difference is that mine doesn't have the SRT. It's a great choice.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    sig p226 or glock 17. I'm a fan of HK as well but the customer service sucks. Keep in mind with glocks if you get a g22 or a g31 you can swap barrels and mags to use .40, .357, and 9mm.

Tackleberry

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Pensacola, FL
    I would also say the SIG P226. I would also recommend a Beretta 92FS. One reason is that you can buy aftermarket magazines (Mec-Gar or PROMAG) cheaper than you can buy mags for the SIG. Both pistols are good choices. I own several SIGs, but my SHTF pistol is a Beretta 92FS with plenty of mags.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    HK P30, HK P2000, or USP9SD. I'm an HK fan. :) Customer Service has not sucked in the past couple years, those who have used customer service recently have been very satisfied, myself included.

gerritm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    seabrook, tx
    Want something different? Everybody shoots a Glock. I have a couple of Tanfoglio EAA Witness 9mm pistols. Full size Witness Match is around $500-$600. Comes from the factory with a match grade barrel, excellent trigger, and a rail and a Limited Pro @$800. They are great shooters, very accurate and reliable. I have several thousand rounds thru both of mine. They are shipping now with the new Mec-Gar mags that make them work even better. Other suggestion is a Beretta 92F or the equivalent civilian pistol. Another is the Kimber in 9mm, right around a thousand.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Might have to save up a bit more, but my STI Tactical 5.0 in 9mm is a tack driver. Feels like cheating when the sights don't come off the target.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Another Glock vote here. Shop around and you'll have 3-400 bucks left for ammo!

That STI 9mm mentioned above is sweet, but a tad spendy. I love their stuff.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    Wow OK I was up at Cabelas and fondled the Sig Tacops, bieng a Glock man I really wasnt impressed I know this sounds weird but when I dry fired it it felt klunky when the hammer dropped.It also felt like holding a coke can .I do have a G22 and like the idea of a conversion barrel how a viridian laser light combo?

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    My favorite 9 is my Hi-Power. I have to keep it hidden because it's my wife & daughter's favorite too.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I would also say the SIG P226. I would also recommend a Beretta 92FS. One reason is that you can buy aftermarket magazines (Mec-Gar or PROMAG) cheaper than you can buy mags for the SIG. Both pistols are good choices. I own several SIGs, but my SHTF pistol is a Beretta 92FS with plenty of mags.

Avoid Promag. Their reputation is less than solid. Mec-Gar is the OEM supplier for Sig mags. In fact, the two that came with my P226 are marked with both the Sig logo and the Mec-Gar logo. ;)

Honestly, Mec-Gar is affordable enough, there isn't any real reason to go with anything but them to keep your Sig fed. 20 round Mec-Gar magazines for the 226 are under $30 if you look around. And they get less expensive as the capacity drops. There is a point where trying to save money becomes cheapness.

Top Bottom