• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • netstorm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    I'm in Travis county right now, but want to move somewhere more gun friendly. Which county around here is best to buy property to have a private range?
    Lynx Defense

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Make sure you don't buy land inside the jurisdiction of a municipality. If you want to be protected in case of future municipal expansion buy at least 50 acres.

netstorm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    I really like the west side of the 35 the best, does anyone know if the dripping springs area is far enough out, with about 10 acres, or is it still too close in?

bjones4545

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Marshall Ford Texas
    Anywhere close to Austin, within 60 miles or so, you'll be paying on the average $4500 to $10,000 or more per acre. The further away from Austin, San Antonio and other larger cities the less expensive the land will be. If the land has water, especially live water (water year round, not just after it rains {which is called seasonal} ) it will cost even more $$$.

Buy as much land as you can.

A modest size lot in un-incorporated Tavis County can sustain a private shooting range. YouTube - 1911 Les Baer Thunder Ranch Commanche Special.MPG

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Dripping springs is still too close in my opinion we are working our way out there and it is just a matter of time till the cookie cutter Austin neighborhoods have spread to it. Johnson city has some awesome land however it is not cheap, look at DOSS, I was just bow hunting there this weekend and it is beautiful. I also love Bandera tx. For south Kennedy and Karnes city are very gun friendly and hold "dove day" or something like that a dove festival for opening south zone day. I Spend most of my time on a ranch between Goliad and karnes and I can tell you if you like to hunt it is the spot. I have gone quail and dove hunting in the same day then followed that up with a coyote hunt(And I am talking limits that area is in the dove migration corridor). There are also pig, turkey, and nice sized deer out there. I have also spent time up by Golthwaite and that is some nice country as well. My dad lives in Alpine, Tx and I spent a lot of time out that way when I was younger. If you wanna get off the map you can find spreads down there that you are not sure if you are on the moon or not but there is also very beautiful country as well and Big Bend National park.

There are a lot of places to look but I can telly you what I like... good hunting, good privacy, yet not so far out you can't go into a local spot to have a beer. Which is why I love Bandera as they have a music venue and recreate wild west shootouts on the streets at high noon from time to time!

My two cents! Good luck

netstorm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Texas
    Hey, thanks for all the input guys. I actually work from home, and own an internet company so it doesn't really matter as long as I can get decent internet service. Is it possible to get cable internet, or would I need satellite? I've checked out a few places, but still feel they are too close to town. I'm thinking that west of San Antonio may be a good choice, and do like the idea of the Bandera area. Is driftwood, or blanco far enough out?

My Fiancé loves being close to the big city for shopping, so I was trying to find something within maybe 30 minutes, but I'm not sure that's possible. I'm wondering if being closer in if building an indoor range would be a better solution, and sound dampening it. Does anyone know if thats possible in any of the counties, or would that require special permits?

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    West of 35 is nicer but more expensive unless you get out past Marble Falls to the West. Land out there gets cheaper. I'd stay away from Dripping Springs if possible. They are doing everything they can to become another Round Rock out there. If you don't mind going South East, Caldwell county (Lockhart area) still has some bargains land wise to be had.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    West of 35 is nicer but more expensive unless you get out past Marble Falls to the West. Land out there gets cheaper. I'd stay away from Dripping Springs if possible. They are doing everything they can to become another Round Rock out there. If you don't mind going South East, Caldwell county (Lockhart area) still has some bargains land wise to be had.

Yeah good ol' round rock... I cant stand it here! I hang around cedar park and leander more so than rr. I live off of sam bass by 1431. Im betting cedar park takes us in the next 4-5 years. They already have half of brushy creek south.

Roniatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Austin TX
    Williamson County??? Really? That police department is just a thinly veiled modern day Gestapo. MOST NOTABLY, in my personal experience when it comes to their shady interpretation of handgun laws. Don't get me wrong, I know people have vastly different experiences. Kurt, Round Rock etc are all excellent "towns" and they have exponentially better schools than AISD. In my case it probably didn't help that I was driving too fast in a red Camaro with the stereo blasting Waylon. He wasn't too impressed with the tattoos either. ;) But he had no probable cause to get into my trunk. And when he did... bingo. Couldn't charge me with anything specifically but he sure held me for "questioning" for hours. He even threatened to confiscate my gun. He didn't though, thank God.

I'd say stay outta Comal County, too. I've never had a problem but plenty of my friends have.

Maybe try the Dripping Springs/Wimberly area. And I agree with Mr Redneck. West Texas rules!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kennethreyes
    Top Bottom