• SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tactical denotes that, by default, they must be black gloves, or Flat Dark Earth may be acceptable in some rare cases. Multicam gloves will be acceptable once it is confirmed by the internet and various airsoft websites that SF use them. It could possibly also denote that there are picatinny rails attached to the gloves, possibly for mounting a Surefire weapon light, or other such acceptable picatinny accessory (DBAL-a2 IR Laser for pinpoint target designation at the tip of your finger). In addition, tactical could also mean that they are gloves worn by either Travis Haley or Chris Costa, or possibly current or former Delta Force or Navy SEALs. What most don't realize is that gloves have long since been phased out with top tier units. Delta and the SEALs no longer use gloves due to reduced manual dexterity. They actually spray truck bed liner on their hands; works wonders for surprise fast roping on the fly.

Okay bed time. LOL

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    1913 rails on my gloves sounds like it could be useful.

But really, I need some gloves for carbine classes and general shooting of stuff. Any serious recommendations based on experience?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Just about any good "sport/work" glove will do. I have used everything from ultrathin black golf gloves made by footjoy to mechanics gloves with a padded palm to bicycle gloves. Finding some that fit seem to be the key. Anything you get buy to as they have a way of disappearing.
    Have fun, enjoy the class. Some instructors want you to cut the index finger off the right hand. But don't do it till they tell you to as some of them don't want you to.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Honestly, the best ones I've got (and I have "a few" pairs, they're like knives or flashlights to me) are the short Nomex flight gloves. Warm, great feel and about $20 a pair on base when you can find 'em...

ksg500.jpg

You can order them online, their "technical" name is Hatch KSG500 Kevlar Shooter Glove.

Cheers! M2

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I like mechanix gloves. Costa or Haley may disapprove but I'm just a poor TX boy.

I stopped being Anyones fan boy a long time ago. It really amazes me how some shooting instructors can get bound up in their gizmos and crap. I have been blessed to have good and bad instructors and I learned things from all of them. Some require you to buy their rifle sling and others can teach you on your sling. Some want hard tactical knee pads others allow soft volleyball style pads. Some let you run a IWB pistol kit and Pocket a rifle mag. Some require a full "assault" vest and drop leg pistol holster.

I guess it comes down to form and function. If the gloves fit, protect your hands and they help you shoot bad guys then allow a student to use them. Even if you don't sell them in your Shooting schools proshop!

jr urbina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    CenTex
    I stopped being Anyones fan boy a long time ago. It really amazes me how some shooting instructors can get bound up in their gizmos and crap. I have been blessed to have good and bad instructors and I learned things from all of them. Some require you to buy their rifle sling and others can teach you on your sling. Some want hard tactical knee pads others allow soft volleyball style pads. Some let you run a IWB pistol kit and Pocket a rifle mag. Some require a full "assault" vest and drop leg pistol holster.

I guess it comes down to form and function. If the gloves fit, protect your hands and they help you shoot bad guys then allow a student to use them. Even if you don't sell them in your Shooting schools proshop!

Amen.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Some of the best, most practical shooting gloves out there are by Hatch. They make numerous styles, all intended for shooting/LEO use. The prices are reasonable and they perform well. I own 3 different pairs, the elite shooter, a neoprene shooter, and shorty pleated leather gloves. They sell them at GT dist and elsewhere on-line. Usually I practice/shoot without them buy they do serve a purpose when it gets cold out.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Thanks for the info.

I have some Hatch gloves which I like but I don't shoot with them (they are a bit thick). Those shooter gloves look good, I'll also try Mechanics.

What about Oakley? Overpriced?

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Tactical denotes that, by default, they must be black gloves, or Flat Dark Earth may be acceptable in some rare cases. Multicam gloves will be acceptable once it is confirmed by the internet and various airsoft websites that SF use them. It could possibly also denote that there are picatinny rails attached to the gloves, possibly for mounting a Surefire weapon light, or other such acceptable picatinny accessory (DBAL-a2 IR Laser for pinpoint target designation at the tip of your finger). In addition, tactical could also mean that they are gloves worn by either Travis Haley or Chris Costa, or possibly current or former Delta Force or Navy SEALs. What most don't realize is that gloves have long since been phased out with top tier units. Delta and the SEALs no longer use gloves due to reduced manual dexterity. They actually spray truck bed liner on their hands; works wonders for surprise fast roping on the fly.

Okay bed time. LOL

Now that's funny! To get my six year old to wear his cargo pants to school I told him they were "tactical" pants. He wore them! It's amazing what the word "tactical" will do for a sale.

Good question Bithabus, I'll be able to use this thread in the future for practical shooting gloves.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    If you are in Austin GT has a ton of gloves. I just bought some to use at my carbine class. Not because I needed cool tactical gloves but because I couldn't any other place in Austin that actually sold gloves that were not thick ski gloves or work gloves.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I dont wear gloves for shooting. Never liked them.
    If you have girlyhands I guess it's a must.

gloves and knee and elbow pads protect your hands not from the gun but from the shooting environment. At a real shooting school you need to watch out for things like hot or hard shooting decks coved in shale, gravel and asphalt, the odd sharp bit of metal, barbed wire and splinters. Sure, we all like to be tough but strenuous drills day after day like speed kneeling and prone require protection. It you are in pain or loosing blood and healing scratchs and scrapes you can't focus, push yourself or learn. At that point you might as well not be in the class. While I am a big proponent of training like I fight I won't turn my knee caps, elbows and hands into hamburger just to prove I am a man.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    gloves and knee and elbow pads protect your hands not from the gun but from the shooting environment. At a real shooting school you need to watch out for things like hot or hard shooting decks coved in shale, gravel and asphalt, the odd sharp bit of metal, barbed wire and splinters. Sure, we all like to be tough but strenuous drills day after day like speed kneeling and prone require protection. It you are in pain or loosing blood and healing scratchs and scrapes you can't focus, push yourself or learn. At that point you might as well not be in the class. While I am a big proponent of training like I fight I won't turn my knee caps, elbows and hands into hamburger just to prove I am a man.
    Dude you just described my stomping grounds.
    And yea I wear some knee protection and other gear, I just have hell functioning with gloved on. At works I wear real thin gloves when welding because I have to feel what im doing. I also wear thick surgical gloves when working on fuel system or oily stuff.
    Shooting, I just dont like having gloves on.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    1913 rails on my gloves sounds like it could be useful.

But really, I need some gloves for carbine classes and general shooting of stuff. Any serious recommendations based on experience?

Summer weight "Vent" model Mechanix gloves are some of the best shooting gloves I've had. I'm also a fan of their FastFit model. Both have excellent dexterity and feel - I often pick washers up off the concrete at work without taking them off. The Vent glove is going to make you sweat less and is a lot lighter because of the design of the back side. Palm and fingers are the same as the other "Original" style gloves they offer. The lighter back is going to give a little less protection if you're diving headlong into gravel, though. Automotive > The Original® Vent Glove : Mechanix Wear

The FastFit is the easiest to live with daily, though you'll get hotter than with the Vent gloves and they are a little heavier. There's no velcro to deal with, just pull them on, tug them off. They offer decent overall protection and I don't bother with anything heavier for working on cars because you wind up losing dexterity. Dexterity is slightly less than the Vent glove because of the heavier back, but is still excellent. No need to cut the trigger finger out of either glove. Automotive > FastFit® Glove : Mechanix Wear

One other option I've been introduced to is flight gloves. These are the old-school mall ninja way to go. They're very light, but made of Nomex with pig skin palms so they offer good protection and very good dexterity. With little effort I can type on my computer keyboard while wearing them.

If you want to go full tacticool, spray painting over the colorful logos on the Mechanix gloves doesn't work as well as spending a little time with a Sharpie...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom