• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    We live right around "the corner" from Jimmy's and have tried them. They do make a good burger and their fries are tasty. They don' t have the selection beyond the basics that Bob's has and their atmosphere is much more basic.
    But they do good work. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the food.

Thanks, we'll have to give them a try!

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Because of the FOOLISHNESS of shutting down the US/Texas economy because of the virus, nearly every one of my favorite "little hole-in-the-wall" places to eat is GONE FOREVER. - Whenever the "virus scare" is finally over, I fear that we are going to find ourselves with ONLY the BIG CHAIN restaurants with their "mostly homogenized offerings" & FEW/NO local places.
    (For example just last Friday I was told by a former waitress that WEN WA, my favorite Chinese local "hole in the wall" cafe, will CLOSE FOREVER & LIKELY before Christmas. = She said that WEN WA has lost money nearly every month since March trying to "survive COVID19" on "take out" alone.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    They just moved down the road a bit and consolidated their three businesses...

View attachment 227275
    That's the location I'm talking about. The convenience store had a lunch counter that was just renting space. They closed. There is still hot food there but it's not a short order place anymore.

The meat market also changed owners & the original Schott cousin that owned the meat market opened in Helotes proper.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Huge opportunity to start new ones though.

Not near as easy as you would think. One of my closest friend and his family opened up a burger joint about three years ago. It lasted a little over a year before they closed it down. Food was beyond excellent. Handmade patties, buns made for them by a local bakery, grilled over mesquite wood, handmade fries and onion rings. But still they went down.

Failure rate for restaurants is over 70% that will fail in the first two years.

dennisz

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Pipe Creek, TX (Hill Country)
    Dennis

Have you tried Jimmy Burgers yet? I actually believe that was the sign we saw, not Bob's Burger Barn which is closer to Medina Lake and if I am not mistaken, used to be a Jeep shop.

I have been there, OK burger, nothing to write home about, it’s good if I don’t feel like driving far and am in a hurry.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Yes, but at what expense to hard working small business owners (who are now out of work and broke)?

oldag,

Fwiw, over 2 decades ago (when I was on AD with the Army), I owned HALF of a "pretty decent local cafe" in Hot Springs, AR.
    (About 3 years after we opened THE CAROUSEL, we sold it, as a profitable business, to a couple who "ran it into the ground" in less than a year by spending more time "on other things" than they did on "minding the store". = KEEPING a "local place" going/profitable is HARD WORK.)

I have NOT forgotten HOW to open/run such a place but after over SIX MONTHS of being "laid off", I simply do NOT have the $$$$$$$$ that it takes to open up a NICE burger/fresh-cut steak fries/draft beer place, as we had before.
    (Just about all of "the working people" in this city/county, who do NOT work for the military, the city/county or a BIG business, are BROKE after all this MESS with the virus SCARE.)

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    oldag,

Fwiw, over 2 decades ago (when I was on AD with the Army), I owned HALF of a "pretty decent local cafe" in Hot Springs, AR.
    (About 3 years after we opened THE CAROUSEL, we sold it, as a profitable business, to a couple who "ran it into the ground" in less than a year by spending more time "on other things" than they did on "minding the store". = KEEPING a "local place" going/profitable is HARD WORK.)

I have NOT forgotten HOW to open/run such a place but after over SIX MONTHS of being "laid off", I simply do NOT have the $$$$$$$$ that it takes to open up a NICE burger/fresh-cut steak fries/draft beer place, as we had before.
    (Just about all of "the working people" in this city/county, who do NOT work for the military, the city/county or a BIG business, are BROKE after all this MESS with the virus SCARE.)

yours, satx
    Very sorry to hear that. The true human toll is being ignored by all.

And yes, running a restaurant is EXTREMELY hard work and very long hours. Hard to find dependable help.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Have not yet had a chance to go out for a good burger here in Texas. I've heard Hop Doddy in Austin is really good, but haven't been there yet.

Had a few good burgers cooked by neighbors. You can special order brisket burgers from Central Market / HEB, and they are not bad at all when properly grilled.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Yes, but at what expense to hard working small business owners (who are now out of work and broke)?

Too bad for them, not much I can do to help them. But if someone started a "successful" business once they more than likely can do it again, especially now that they know the ropes. If they weren't making any money for several years even before Covid, they probably should have closed earlier and saved some money. I would imagine a lot of "Mom and Pop" joints will forever close. Others will see this as an opportunity to go it on their own.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Too bad for them, not much I can do to help them. But if someone started a "successful" business once they more than likely can do it again, especially now that they know the ropes. If they weren't making any money for several years even before Covid, they probably should have closed earlier and saved some money. I would imagine a lot of "Mom and Pop" joints will forever close. Others will see this as an opportunity to go it on their own.
    This mass hysteria impact on restaurants was impossible to see coming, and no one knows when it will end.

The typical small business owner, even though successful in the past, can go broke after six months of little revenue. And typically they will spend every dime trying to keep it alive til things get better.

And once your savings are gone, no you cannot start another no matter how successful you have been in the past. You simply don't have the startup capital required.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    This mass hysteria impact on restaurants was impossible to see coming, and no one knows when it will end.

The typical small business owner, even though successful in the past, can go broke after six months of little revenue. And typically they will spend every dime trying to keep it alive til things get better.

And once your savings are gone, no you cannot start another no matter how successful you have been in the past. You simply don't have the startup capital required.

Like I said if you are failing now or soon, not much can be done given the current situation. But there will be others willing to gamble on starting their own business later.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Have not yet had a chance to go out for a good burger here in Texas. I've heard Hop Doddy in Austin is really good, but haven't been there yet.

Had a few good burgers cooked by neighbors. You can special order brisket burgers from Central Market / HEB, and they are not bad at all when properly grilled.

Hop Daddy was very good but its been a while since I was there.
    Can't comment about present day,

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Like I said if you are failing now or soon, not much can be done given the current situation. But there will be others willing to gamble on starting their own business later.

Starting up a new restaurant from the ground, is a risky business decision. Over 70% will fail in the first two years. Even the more successful restaurants operate at very low profit margins, just to stay in business.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Very sorry to hear that. The true human toll is being ignored by all.

And yes, running a restaurant is EXTREMELY hard work and very long hours. Hard to find dependable help.

oldag,

ODDLY (mostly because we had TWO universities close by) we had LITTLE trouble keeping "wait staff' because even "back in The Dark Ages" when we had THE CAROUSEL, our waitresses were making over 100.oo per shift, just in tips.
    (We hired ONLY >18YO HS/college "PEPPY/PRETTY cheerleader-types" & told the ladies to wear the cheerleader or pep squad -style outfits of their favorite team. - MOST of them chose UofA Razorbacks or HSU Reddies outfits.)

The cooks/kitchen staff within 4 months were pretty STABLE, as we "went out of our way" to hire GOOD people & paid "above average wages".

Nonetheless, you are 100% CORRECT about the HARD WORK & LONG HOURS.

yours, satx

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I had thought several times in the past, of taking some of my investments and going into the restaurant business, and possibly going with a BBQ joint. Nothing fancy, and pretty simple.

Looking back and what I know now about the restaurant business, I'm really glad I didn't.

Would I have failed? Don't know. Could have even been a huge success. But, I glad I didn't take the risk now.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Running a restaurant is hard work.
    Local place here had a solid reputation.
    Loyal return customers.
    Good food.
    Guy running it wanted to pass it down to his daughter. Who had grown up working in the place.
    She said NO WAY!
    Dad sold it off and closed down.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom