• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • juan valdez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2014
    Looking to get my wife a small handgun for her car. Been looking at .380 semi and 38 spl revolver. Have two on hand for her to try but want ability for her to at least get chance to handle a few more plus maybe a compact 9mm.
    Guns on hand, borrowed, are sw bodyguard 380 and sw 38

Looking at any and everything, taurus, charter arms, Sig, sw, bersa, all the usual

Anyway are there any stores in greater S.A.which have large selection? Thinking maybe bass pro or gander might be good options for variety. Gun show next weekend I believe?
    Emphasis here is large selection not necessarily best price, customer service etc

Also I normally go to lone star handgun, used to go to a place to shoot, are there better options for variety to rent compact handguns?
    Capitol Armory ad

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Bass Pro is a terrible place to look at handguns. They literally have maybe 100 on display and they are usually overpriced. Forget about a revolver unless it's a .460 or .500. No used guns either. Gander Mtn isn't any better as far as selection, but their prices are more reasonable.

For gun browsing, you're better off going to a privately owned shop. They'll have a better selection than whatever HQ picks out for big-box stores' shelves. Private shops will have a better used market. Cabela's is an exception. Real good variety of handguns, decent used selection (not great, but decent). Sadly, since I don't live in SA (yet), I can't tell you where to go. Someone else should be along to help out

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    I would consider either a gun show or a pawn shop with big selection. There are two stores I have been to in the SA area that deal exclusively in guns, and they are Nagels' on San Pedro, and Don's Guns out in the direction of the medical center. Don's is very small, so I wouldn't suggest going there to handle a lot of different guns (heard great things about his smith work, though).

Nagel's is huge on the other hand with a big selection of everything, but they are often very busy and are more of a "come get me whenever you know what you want" type store. If you can get somebody help you, you'll stand a better chance of trying out a number of guns there.

Long_Ranger

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Kerrville, TX
    If your willing to drive you might try Young's Guns in Kerrville. People are very friendly and helpful, I've purchased several firearms there and have always felt good about my new "toys". Good Luck with the hunt.

rls210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    San Antonio
    Check out Nardis gun club. It's open to the public and has a good selection of handguns available to rent. Come in monday thru friday and for 40.00 you can rent as many guns as you want.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    I agree that Cabela's is a good place to look, but like Bass Pro, their prices suck. I would go to Gander Mountain before those places just to look.

Also try Powderhorn, Action Pawn on Marbach, and Gun Shack in Helotes.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Is that on top of the $25 for the lane or does that include the lane?

I wouldn't recommend Nardis as a first -- come back once you've narrowed down your choices to ones you want to shoot before you buy.

Their $40 is not covering range fees, which are $25 for the first shooter and $12.50 for each subsequent shooter, and $1.50 targets after the first free one. They also require you use their ammo in their rental guns, which is $20+ per caliber. If you were to go with intent I'd really recommend figuring out how to befriend and tag along with a member yourself -- Gold members get free rentals during the week and can get additional shooters in for $12.50 instead of $25 IIRC.

(Also: I haven't been in a while, but from what I remember I don't think they have much on your list except the Bersa Thunder in .380, either. Their selection is mostly geared toward full/mid-size carry pistols.)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The Premier San Antonio Gun Show is 31 May - 1 June. Come out for breakfast, more info here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/54377-2014-premier-san-antonio-gun-shows.html

If you can't make that, then SAXET is the following weekend (7-8 June). More info on that show can be found in this thread: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/san-antonio/55102-2014-saxet-gun-shows.html

Either are better than any store within 100 miles for being able to see/handle a variety of guns. Plus, if you know the right people, you can get into the Premier show for free! :D

Otherwise, I think Academy is the best choice. While they don't have the biggest selection, they usually have the best prices. I'll also second the Gun Shack in Helotes, not a huge selection either but they have great prices and are really nice folks. Gander Mountain has selection, but are too expensive. But my advice would be to go to the show, find the pistol she wants, then look on SlickGuns.com and find the best online vendor price. If someone locally can come close to that, then definitely take them up on the offer but if there is a substantial price difference, buy it online.

About the only other alternative is finding a local private seller, which usually gets you the best price but there is some risk assumed if there is anything wrong with the gun. Still, I've gotten some great deals from private sales.

Good luck!

Cheers! M2

KELEKONA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2013
    Texas
    Gander mountain and powderhorn have a good amount of guns. Nardis is open to public and is a very nice gun shop with a very friendly and knowledgeable staff. The guys at Powderhorn were very friendly and knowledgeable as well.

rls210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    San Antonio
    Yes, you'll still have to pay for a lane but if you become a member that day they will credit you the 25.00 towards you're membership.. No Nardis is open to the public also.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom