Patriot Mobile

Best Low Cost Solutions to Fortify Garage Door Against Tornado Level Winds?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I have two multi section garage doors, one double and one single. I am looking for a cheap but effective way to secure them against blowing in during a nearby tornado event. With the understanding that if I am at ground zero it won't matter much, I am really looking to keep them from blowing in should winds hit around 100 mph.

My initial thoughts are to put steel u-bolts in the middle of each section then run a heavy piece of pipe through the u-bolts into a hole in the concrete floor and lock it into the header at the top with a heavy duty bracket. Basically, this is the same setup that I have seen selling for $200 only they use square tubing.

Any other ideas to accomplish the same thing without wasting good ammo money?
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Open them during the storm.

That isn't meant to come off as a smart ass answer either. Garage doors are about as tough as a beer can.

Cracking the door open a little during a storm may be enough to keep the wind from crashing it in.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    When hurricane Ike blew thru Houston we had some very high straight line winds and that didn't damage our garage doors. Blew out glass in the buildings downtown and fences. The garage doors are are pretty well framed in by the tracks on the sides and a lip or threshold on the floor. The only weak place is the top and middle. You might support yours with 45 degree 2x4s from the middle to the floor. And at the top.

You can get some pretty elaborate setups and over engineer bracing to support what is a $200 door. You might just let them blow in once and when they don't call it good. Like you said a direct hit will take them and the house so it won't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom