• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    OK, I have been wanting to hog hunt for a while. I now have a rifle capable of doing it. I know I need to get my hunting license and safety course out of the way as well. I was curious what the best time of the year for hunting hogs is. Or is there an actual best time or are they always out in numbers? I know that they can be hunted year round (no particular hunting season) but wasn't sure if they were more likely to be seen in a certain time of year or at a certain time of the day.

Thanks for any input.
    DK Firearms

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I see them all year. I prefer to hunt them when it's cool out, as it's more pleasant to be outside slugging after them than when it's 110 degrees.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    In the summer you're more likely to find them in a muddy watering hole in the middle of the day.

We built watering holes specifically for that in the middle of thick brush. Then we'd "ambush" them with AKs, shotguns and pistols (based on the flavor of the day). You gotta be careful to not shoot each other or take a tusk (safety first), but it's a ton of fun.

You can trap them or shoot them from under a feeder year round. Night time is best. When there's been a full moon they're less likely to be out and about during the day since they're up longer at night feeding.

Another really fun way is to hunt them on horse back with hog dogs. Most folks don't do this because it takes a lot of time to train dogs and horses. If you shoot off of an untrained horse you will end up on your back side.

One last fun idea...you'll need a corn feeder with timer not light sensor, small bunker/truck bed, spear, pillow/mat. Set the timer to go off at the same time each night. Place an old truck bed (without tires/axles-flat on the ground) close to the feeder (corn should be bouncing off it, it's so close). Lay down with your spear (hence the pillow) and wait for dark/feeder to spin off. When the hogs come in, jump up and spear a hog.

Mostly, have fun and be safe. If something feels unsafe, STOP. A hog isn't worth getting hurt over.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Tend to see them out and about more during the summer down in my neck of the woods. As hot as it is in the day we've typically just gone out at night but I haven't been in years. I'm actually planning to go clean up the ranch here before too long though.

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    If you intend to eat them it is generally considered best to harvest them after a freeze or two. They tend to have fewer parasites on them. However you can harvest them year round if you take the proper precautions.

If you just want to shoot them, there is no "best" time of the year. You just have to adjust to their habits of that time of year.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I was hoping to harvest for food. What are the proper precautions? Using Google, several sites came up, but I didn't know if you had a specific site or precautions that were good to take. I am hoping to find some people to go with to show me the ropes, as I have never been hunting before. Always wanted to and just haven't had the opportunity.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    My experience in West Texas showed they come out mostly in the evening and night time. But we had feeders and night vision.

I've heard that the meat is better in the winter versus the summer, is this true? Anybody heard of this? Or do you guys eat the hog meat year round?

I've seen this to be the case in animals such as rabbits and coyotes in AZ due to the ticks and other diseases that fester on the animals during the summer, then die off in the winter (or the sickly animals die off in the winter I guess).

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Honestly I process them similar to a deer. Gut them and skin them after getting back to camp (barn at the ranch), quarter it and pack in ice. Leave it on ice for a few days to a week, draining off bloody water and keeping it cold and full of ice. Then rinse it and either wrap it up or process how you wish and put it in the freezer. I can't say that i've noticed a difference between winter and summer meat but have heard the same rumors about it being better in winter. If you're hunting them for meat, don't go for the hogzilla...go for one of the smaller 80-150 pound ones as they're better for eating. Mostly we just hunt them for population control on the ranch though.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    Great to hear it from someone who actually does process the meat. I envy you, I'd love to go through the whole the hunt/gut/skin/jerk process of hunting, rather than the shoot/drag/leave for buzzards process.

I wonder if the whole summer/winter story is for those outsiders who are PETA minded and don't understand the need for population control.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Definitely. Smaller ones are much better.

The only thing I ever did different to butcher them in the summer was to wash them off real good before cleaning them.

Update: I have seen worms on some animals in the summer, but mostly just rabbits-never pigs. Just look at them when you're cleaning them. If something looks iffy don't put it in the freezer.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    MexHippie,

Where do you go to hunt hog? I've been to a friend's ranch in West Texas, but would love to find a friendly spot to try out my latest hog killer.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    MexHippie,

Where do you go to hunt hog? I've been to a friend's ranch in West Texas, but would love to find a friendly spot to try out my latest hog killer.

I'd love to have people, but I haven't been able to go myself recently. If I had something close by I'd definitely have everyone out for a shoot. Now a days I just travel and work - and dream of hunting.

My family is from South Texas, we used to have a ranch north of Zapata and one outside of Sarita (where we sold guided hunts). I used to hunt constantly. Those two ranches were sold unfortunately.

I still have some family with ranch and farm land near Sarita. But I'm up north of Fort Worth now, so I rarely get down there any more - just too far. I only get a chance around Christmas these days.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    The ranch I hunt on is about 1-2 hours south of Houston. I can check with the ranch owner on whether or not a few others could hunt hogs on it as well if anyone were interested. Before I would stick my neck out there or invite anyone along though I would want to meet them and shoot with them elsewhere. Last thing I need is some yahoo accidentally shooting one of the man's heifers.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I agree with Cody and Txgunner. Cooler is best. For both you and them. Summertime, you can expect more fleas, ticks and nastiness. If you are going to eat them, smaller is better and ALWAYS a sow before a boar hog. The females meat is generally softer and they have less stink on them like the boar hogs glands produce. Down south in Pearsall, they will look at you funny if you bring them a boar hog to process. I guess they think most folks have better sense than to try to eat some big nasty male boar hog. I also agree with Mexhippie about the license, never hurts to support state conservation.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    The ranch I hunt on is about 1-2 hours south of Houston. I can check with the ranch owner on whether or not a few others could hunt hogs on it as well if anyone were interested. Before I would stick my neck out there or invite anyone along though I would want to meet them and shoot with them elsewhere. Last thing I need is some yahoo accidentally shooting one of the man's heifers.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing (shoot with guys before taking them to the ranch). If I were only closer.....

txgunner00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    Leander, Texas
    Honestly I process them similar to a deer. Gut them and skin them after getting back to camp (barn at the ranch), quarter it and pack in ice. Leave it on ice for a few days to a week, draining off bloody water and keeping it cold and full of ice. Then rinse it and either wrap it up or process how you wish and put it in the freezer. I can't say that i've noticed a difference between winter and summer meat but have heard the same rumors about it being better in winter. If you're hunting them for meat, don't go for the hogzilla...go for one of the smaller 80-150 pound ones as they're better for eating. Mostly we just hunt them for population control on the ranch though.

Pretty much sums it up. I process all my meat because I like to know exactly how it's handled and it tastes better than anything I've ever had from a processor. If you have the facilities to do so, it helps to wash it good with a water hose (I've even used a pressure washer) before cutting into it. I generally don't gut them in the field unless it will be a while before I quarter them. I use a technique for quartering where all the guts stay in the carcase and I only open up the belly just enough to "surgically" remove the tender loins.

A couple of tips you need to remember- Always cut the hide from the inside. Make a small hole and slide your knife under the hide. This reduces loose hair significantly. Keep the hide turned inside out and avoid touching the meat after toughing the hide as much as possible. Wash as much blood off of the meat as possible before it dries. Remove as much blood shot tissue as possible. If it's warm don't let the meat "hang" to drain or cool off. Get it on ice promptly. Pack the meat in a cooler with a good layer of ice under the meat first and on all sides. I use large chunks of ice I get from freezing milk jugs and breaking it up with a hatchet. Cube ice is good for filling in the holes or topping off but the chuncks last longer. I typically let the meat sit in the cooler for 5-7 days before final processing. During this time I keep all water drained off and keep the ice topped off. When final processing I keep the meat cool and allow it to drain as much as possible. You would be surprised how much more blood will come out of the quarters even after they have been draining for a week. I use colanders sitting in big stainless bowls to allow the cut meat to drain further before grinding or packing.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff but this is what I do in a nutshell. Enjoy your harvest!

Top Bottom