• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    OK, not my shot, but Tejano Scott reminded me of one my dad pulled.

When he hunted deer (in Michigan, where whitetail are bigger) with a rifle, he'd go for head shots, especially on does. We hunted for the freezer. So one day, he shoots a doe in the head, goes out to tag her, and sees a second one behind her, throat torn out by the bullet that killed the first one. He had run get another tag real quick, LOL. Dropped two in their tracks with one shot. By accident, but still pretty cool. Was only about 75 yards, but still...
    Target Sports

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    OK, not my shot, but Tejano Scott reminded me of one my dad pulled.

When he hunted deer (in Michigan, where whitetail are bigger) with a rifle, he'd go for head shots, especially on does. We hunted for the freezer. So one day, he shoots a doe in the head, goes out to tag her, and sees a second one behind her, throat torn out by the bullet that killed the first one. He had run get another tag real quick, LOL. Dropped two in their tracks with one shot. By accident, but still pretty cool. Was only about 75 yards, but still...

There was a bowhunter on our old lease that shot 3 turkey with 1 arrow on accident. Still one of the most bizarre hunting memories I remember.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There was a bowhunter on our old lease that shot 3 turkey with 1 arrow on accident. Still one of the most bizarre hunting memories I remember.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

One hell of a turkey kebob! If he'd got some peppers and potatoes between the birds, I'd have been real impressed!!

Taurus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    My Room
    I'm no hunter nor a marksman but I like shooting at the range. This is the best I got, standing, two hand hold and at 8 yards.

Sig P250c 40sw - 10 WWB 165 FMJFNs shot.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    When I was younger I used to shoot grass hoppers with my .22 all the time. Shot a dragon fly of a long peice of grass open sights at about 30 yards. Im also known to shoot squirrels at 50-55 yards with my Bow. Shot more then one buzzard off fence posts(they were tearing up stuff) at 200-250 yards with my .22 open sights. My dad bet me I couldnt.

drew02a

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    San Antonio, TX
    Best shot?

I was in Freer hunting hogs on top of an old oil tank on my buddy's property. I had my rifle setup with bipod pointed at the further away of 2 feeders and was taking a nap with my alarm to go off every 15min or so to check if anything had showed. About the second time I woke up and looked to my right and there was a big hog at the near feeder (100yds) so I picked up my 10mm Glock and aimed down the red dot sight. But having never shot anything that far away before with the Glock, I chickened out and reached for my rifle. Right about that time the hog caught my scent and wandered off into the brush. Needless to say I was pissed I hadn't just taken the shot. A few min later some rabbits showed up and stated munching on the corn. Assuming I had scared the hogs away for the evening, I took aim at a cottontail to gauge my range and blow off some steam...

Even at 100yds, the 180gr hp destroyed the rabbit! While proud I had made such a difficult shot, it only made me more upset I hadn't fired at that hog. Not to worry, we put the dead rabbit to use as coyote bait after the sun went down.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    He was moving from right to left, faster than 6mph but slower than 10mph, so I held the front of his head at the right duplex for 5 mils (Army Mildot). Comes out to ~35" of lead on his head, a little under 45" to the impact. Round was a 69 grain SMK. It's a lot to do in a few seconds, but within 300 yards, its roughly the same time to target for any round, so you really just need to take an educated guess on it's speed and lead with that info. Hogs run right around 10mph when spooked, time to target is about .13 seconds per 100, so 5 mils is about perfect regardless of range if they are running perpendicular. If they are quartered away, split it in half.

It's really written out a lot more complicated than it is. I had to look up a lot of the info I wrote, because I can't, nor can a lot of the greats, remember all of the figures, just the tricks on how to get your bullet where you want it. 5 Mils will usually do it. Even if you make 50% of the shots, it'll still really impress the guys you hunt with...

Good stuff, thanks man!

wllmwallace

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Denton, TX
    I remember going goose hunting with my grandfather in Hockley Texas back in the early 80's. He got upset because the guys hunting the paddies across from us were laying out sheets and making all kind of noise. We didn't see anything until later, and my grandfather opened up on a flight with an Ithaca Mag 10 he had, started dropping Canadian Geese right on top of the guys that pissed him off that morning. All I saw and heard were guys jumping around and cursing, trying not to get mortared by dropping 10lb geese.

One of the best shots I ever made was with a bow. My brothers and I had a tennis ball swinging on a string in front of our backyard archery target (huge orange peice of styrofoam my dad found and brought home), and I nailed it to the target.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Visited a buddy in Colorado one year. We took his Glock 10mm out for a little fun. After running through a few rounds to get used to the gun we placed some tin cans about 20 or 30 yards down range. After knocking a couple cans down, one popped up in the air then landed with the bottom facing directly towards me. I fired again putting one straight through the bottom of the can. Handed my buddy is gun back and told him that I cannot do any better than that today.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Free-handed and standing from 15 yards using a new-to-me Ruger GP100 firing .357 Magnum ammo...

GP100FirstShotCloseup-1.jpg

And my second shot...

GP100SecondShotCloseup-1.jpg

It's a helluva revolver!

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd have kept some evidence too! Good shootin'

One more...

As a kid Dad and I were dove hunting at one of the water holes near a windmill in one of the further pastures. I had brought my .22 Browning rifle along too (a favorite). We were waiting for some more doves to come in and we saw a dove on a limb about 75 yards out. I told my Dad, "Watch this" and took aim with my .22 (iron sights). He gave a little chuckle of doubt. Blam!!!! Dove dropped out of the tree. I think he was prouder of that shot than me.

Lots of great memories hunting with my Dad. I hope I get to give my kids some of the same experiences.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Took my son and a couple of his buddies hunting and camping at a friend's ranch. We were up late farting around looking for hogs, with no luck.

I woke early to pee, and there is a coyote standing about 200 yds from
    me. I get my Mini-14 out of the tent and brace it against a tree. When the coyote sees the gun he bolts.

I aimed at the tip of his nose while he was in a sprint. Roughly 200 yards on a dead run, he dropped like a rock. It was the first critter shot with that gun. But not the last. That Ruger has a few notches.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    We were camping at Little Shell on Padre Island National Seashore when the younger brother and I decided to walk over to the Laguna Madre side. We armed ourselves with .357s in case of snakes or drug runners.

When a jack rabbit exploded in front of us and was bounding through the grass at full speed, I yelled "SUPPER" and fired once with my S&W model 19 at probably 20 yards away. It did a flip in the air and skidded to a stop with the whole top of his head missing.

I was as surprised as my brother was but never let it show!

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    As a kid Dad and I were dove hunting at one of the water holes near a windmill in one of the further pastures. I had brought my .22 Browning rifle along too (a favorite). We were waiting for some more doves to come in and we saw a dove on a limb about 75 yards out. I told my Dad, "Watch this" and took aim with my .22 (iron sights). He gave a little chuckle of doubt. Blam!!!! Dove dropped out of the tree. I think he was prouder of that shot than me.

Lots of great memories hunting with my Dad. I hope I get to give my kids some of the same experiences.

This just reminded me of my first dove hunt, I was about 7 and down in the valley with my dad and uncle first time I got to try out a shotgun, I took one shot and said no daddy I'll shoot my gun and stuck to the pellet gun I had brought along. Fast forward we were basically leaving for the day and I was in the front passenger seat when my uncle stopped and pointed to a dove on the telephone line figuring a pop shot would boost my morale since they did all the real shooting that day. I rolled the window down and took aim, you heard the air rifle pop and the dove fell, then my dad and uncle almost in unison say something along the lines of damn he actually got it. Side note that shotgun that damn near knocked my shoulder out of place that day has since been passed from my father to me, nothing special about it but it was the first shotgun I'd ever fired an was passed through family and still shoots like a champ after I fixed and cleaned it up so I love it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LAKRAMER1211
    Top Bottom