Join TexasGunTalk

Best skinning knife

Discussion in 'Knives, Tactical Gear, and Survival' started by bowjunky39$, Feb 2, 2020.

1. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Funny I never got your old Benchmades I thought you were going to send me!

2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I only keep quality knives. BM is sub-tier and a bunch of communists to boot.

toddnjoyce and Axxe55 like this.
  3. mitchntx

mitchntx Sarcasm Sensei TGT Supporter

Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
  4. Texasjack

Texasjack TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    It's all starts with the steel. Avoid any blade that says it's "surgical steel" (there is no such thing) or any blade that doesn't list the particular steel. Also avoid anything made in China or Pakistan or you may be getting re-melted rebar. D2 is very tough (used in dozer blades), CPM-S30V, S35VN, 154CM, or the carbon steels like 1084 and 1095, or O1 (also used in oil field drilling tools), or 5160 (which custom makers sometimes refer to as OCS or Old Chevy Spring). Buck uses 420HC, which is pretty good.

After that, it's about style. A lot of people go after a huge blade, but anyone who does much skinning will find that it's hard to maneuver a long blade and often a shorter blade works best. I've had a Buck 105 for more years than I'd like to admit and it's always done a great job (https://www.buckknives.com/knives/). Warther makes a very nice hunting knife that is just the right size. (https://warthercutlery.com/collections/outdoor-knives/products/hunting-knife)

But even the best blade is worthless if you don't keep it sharp. Tough steels are also tough to sharpen, and you have to take some time to get it sharp. Don't let it get too dull or you'll really spend a long time getting it back to useful condition. Learning how to sharpen a knife is a thing that every man should learn to do - along with driving, using tools, and shooting. Once it's sharp, you need to strop it so that you remove the wire edge, or else it won't cut for long. If you haven't sharpened for a while, go to the kitchen and sharpen all of your kitchen knives first. They probably need it and it's great practice before you do that perfect hunting knife edge.

jordanmills, Axxe55 and cvgunman like this.
  5. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
    80% finished cryo-tempered blade only bowie I scored fro Texas Knife Makers Supply and finished out. The only blade I've ever put my hands on that I can process an entire deer with and not have to stop to sharpen or grab a different knife. I mean from the triangle to vacuum seal; skin, debone, carve out steaks & roasts, cut up the stew and grind meat. I highly recommend one.

Plus+ makes for a nice shop project, not like anyone has anything better to do right now.

IMG_0061.JPG IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0063.JPG

jordanmills, Axxe55 and TxStetson like this.
  6. BMF500

BMF500 Matthew 10:34 TGT Supporter

Aug 21, 2019
    Pattison
  7. Barnacle Bill

Barnacle Bill Member

Apr 24, 2018
    Plano
    Best skinner in my opinion is the Ka Bar gamestalker

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker, and Dog Whisperer!

Dec 15, 2019
    Deep East Texas
    It's hard to beat a handmade custom knife. And to be honest, there are some really great factory made knives on the market.

But there's just something special about one that was made for you.

BMF500 likes this.
  9. AZ Refugee

AZ Refugee Active Member TGT Supporter

Sep 23, 2014
  10. KPTX

KPTX New Member TGT Supporter

Apr 5, 2020
    Grapevine, TX
    Went thru a lot over the years & just got tired of them not staying sharp while skinning one deer so now I use one of those razor blade knives with replacement blades.

Got a buddy of mine in LA that on his side hustle as a blacksmith that makes his own damascus & other high end knives but ain't bought one from him yet.