• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    All this talk lately about using spreadsheets to update info on TGT posters has me wondering.

What is the best spreadsheet program?

Excel%20running%20screaming.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    The best free spreadsheet comes with the free office suite called Libre Office. The suite contains equivelent programs for everything in Microsoft Office. It will read and write all of the same formats. The included drawing program is excellent.

You can download Libre Office from:
    https://www.libreoffice.org

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy Office after using it.

Last edited:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    The best free spreadsheet comes with the free office suite called Libre Office. The suite contains equivelent programs for everything in Microsoft Office. It will read and write all of the same formats. The included drawing program is excellent.

You can download Libre Office from:
    https://www.libreoffice.org

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would buy Office after using it.

thanks for that link. going to check out base soon

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/base/

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Libre office sucks. My company screwed me by making me use libre office. I had an old coworker make me some macro scripts to make my job a lot easier. They used excell language. The company forced libre office on me now all the scripting he did is now useless. He is no longer with the company so now I have to enter a bunch of shit. And have to transfer all that shit over to a spread sheet. With his scripting all I had to do was hit click on a button and boom all my shit was on a spread sheet I could save and email off. Libre office ruined my life.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    The one I've got. Seriously though, I did things with Lotus 123 that made engineers cry in delight. Stuck with Excel now. I have to get Microsoft to fix bugs in it because they don't know how to do a Gaussian reduction on a matrix anymore. That has happened twice so far.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    The one I've got. Seriously though, I did things with Lotus 123 that made engineers cry in delight. Stuck with Excel now. I have to get Microsoft to fix bugs in it because they don't know how to do a Gaussian reduction on a matrix anymore. That has happened twice so far.

Is a Gaussian reduction handy for keeping info on TGT members?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Libre office ruined my life.
    No, relying on unapproved macros that didn't come from the company is what ruined your productivity. There's a reason that big organizations don't like people going off the reservation with little programming projects.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    No, relying on unapproved macros that didn't come from the company is what ruined your productivity. There's a reason that big organizations don't like people going off the reservation with little programming projects.
    Makes sense, but they heaven come up with macros to help us so he did what he did. I'm not a computer guy, I'm an inside salesman. All I did was use his macros to take stuff from our program and put on a spreadsheet. He did show me how to maintain the macros that compared pricing profiles to certain promotions and use certain pricing for preloaded equipment match ups. Just the time he saved us increased sales tremendously. But I see where you're coming from. I'm basically computer illiterate.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Now we're getting somewhere!! What colors do y'all use for malcontent posters, suspected commies, un-American yahoos?

That's privileged information and your attempt at circumventing proper security protocols has been noted on the spreadsheet.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My spreadsheet is hosted on a servo and protected via an Internet security team. It is updated by myself and several other trustees who have access.

If you wish to have access to this spreadsheet you must apply for a security clearance, sign a no disclosure agreement, and pay the application fee of $299. We are running a special now that will get you half off on the first 6 months of access. That's an amazing deal at only $49.99/month.

(Application for access does not guarantee acceptance, application fee is non refundable, applying for access to the spreadsheet will be noted in the spreadsheet)

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    My spreadsheet is hosted on a servo and protected via an Internet security team. It is updated by myself and several other trustees who have access.

If you wish to have access to this spreadsheet you must apply for a security clearance, sign a no disclosure agreement, and pay the application fee of $299. We are running a special now that will get you half off on the first 6 months of access. That's an amazing deal at only $49.99/month.

(Application for access does not guarantee acceptance, application fee is non refundable, applying for access to the spreadsheet will be noted in the spreadsheet)

Careful there Youngun, you are treading mighty close to copy right infringement there.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Makes sense, but they heaven come up with macros to help us so he did what he did. I'm not a computer guy, I'm an inside salesman. All I did was use his macros to take stuff from our program and put on a spreadsheet. He did show me how to maintain the macros that compared pricing profiles to certain promotions and use certain pricing for preloaded equipment match ups. Just the time he saved us increased sales tremendously. But I see where you're coming from. I'm basically computer illiterate.
    This is exactly the sort of situation that should be addressed by a company if it listens to its people. If there's a thing (ANY thing) that saves that much time, it should be made a part of the official workflow. When your company switched to Libre, did the people who made that decision know they were breaking your workflow? They should have. They should have assigned programmer resources to make the transition without loss of functionality.

Were the SMEs (subject matter experts) idiots? I doubt it. The folks that made the decision probably didn't bother to understand the work processes they were going to impact.

Crap like this makes me crazy. One of the jobs I've had in the past involved being the person who translated between the workers and the decision-makers. I am still consistently amazed by how little each group understands the needs and goals of the other.

Sorry. Rant over. You just hit on a personal pet peeve of mine - IT changes that damage the organization out of sheer ignorance on the part of the decision-makers. I could write a book...but I won't do it here.

Top Bottom