• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    I'm in need of a little help/consultation.

I received a letter from Bexar County Appraisal and they somehow upped the value of my property $20K from last years assessment. I haven't done anything to the home other than trim the tree in front and water to make the grass grow. I live in home built in 1978 in the Heritage subdivision (Potranco/Ellison). I purchased the home in 2008, and last year was the first year the value went up, but it was only $4K.

So what gives? Has anyone else's taxes gone up like this? Is it because of all the other development in the area (new walmart, cvs, strip malls)? What's the process to have them bring the value back down to market value? I see they have a form or website, but what should I expect to do? Heck, my bank is already letting me know I need to add funds to my escrow account to cover increases (extra $70/mo).

Thanks in advance.
    Hurley's Gold

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Go visit your appraisal district and speak with one of their agents (oh, I mean appraisers :green:) to find out how they came up with the substantial increase in value. If it doesn't work, go see the chief appraiser and then go to the appraisal board. You can probably go on line and find out what the houses around you and similar to your house are currently valued. Good luck ..... you're gonna' need it!

ContactLeft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I would get prices of similar homes in your neighborhood and dispute it. I'm not in Bexar County but I just disputed my increase of 10k. They were pretty friendly and didn't hassle me at all. They worked with me to bring it within a few thousand of what I thought the house should appraise for. It is worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I hope you have better luck than I did in Hays County. They looked at me and said "take a hike" (literally and figuratively.)

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Piss on my leg ... mine went up $74,268.
    Don't get me started ... housing prices have gone up, so the property taxes on them go up.

No, you can't vote out the bastards who raised your taxes, they have insulated themselves from that happening.

So, BOHICA!

ITMT, file a Protest immediately, then decide what to do. You have nothing to lose by doing so.
    Should be a form to do so with the letter from the taxing authority.
    Be aware there are companies (staffed by former government employees, imagine that) who will gladly go to bat for you, but they charge about 50% of what they save you in taxes.

IOW, you're fucked regardless.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Piss on my leg ... mine went up $74,268.
    Don't get me started ... housing prices have gone up, so the property taxes on them go up.

No, you can't vote out the bastards who raised your taxes, they have insulated themselves from that happening.

So, BOHICA!

ITMT, file a Protest immediately, then decide what to do. You have nothing to lose by doing so.
    Should be a form to do so with the letter from the taxing authority.
    Be aware there are companies (staffed by former government employees, imagine that) who will gladly go to bat for you, but they charge about 50% of what they save you in taxes.

IOW, you're $#@!ed regardless.
    sounds like you have a capped account and they raised you to the 10% max. Welcome to the club. Two years in a row.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    evidently bexar needs more money and property taxes are the way to get more

don't feel like the lone ranger - haven't heard of anyone's taxes going down (well, maybe some in baltimore and ferguson..)

the only way to do anything about property assessments is to PROTEST with your County Tax Board - you might even have an outfit who will do it for you, like "o'connon & associates" here in montgomery & harris counties (maybe elsewhere) - they do the protesting for me, every year, and if they save you from paying an additional X amount of $s, they charge 1/2 that amount - to me it's worth it

or...go on line to see how to do it yourself - bexar co tax assessor's web site probably has info - then get back on line to see what documentation you'll need for a protest

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    the only way to do anything about property assessments is to PROTEST with your County Tax Board - you might even have an outfit who will do it for you, like "o'connon & associates" here in montgomery & harris counties (maybe elsewhere) - they do the protesting for me, every year, and if they save you from paying an additional X amount of $s, they charge 1/2 that amount - to me it's worth it

or...go on line to see how to do it yourself - bexar co tax assessor's web site probably has info - then get back on line to see what documentation you'll need for a protest
    You can do your own protest, but in my case I found I was my own worst enemy in dealing with the machine and never got anywhere. So now, I too use a tax service every year. I pay 1/3 of what they save me and it is will worth it to me since they save me something every year, which I wasn't able to get done on my own. Yes, I have issues with bureaucrats, I admit it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I know some people who had issues with the Bexar County tax appraiser. Tax man said they had two living quarters on their property. The building they claimed was a living area was a wood working shop with no plumbing whatsoever.

After a long drawn out battle, my acquaintances concluded the tax men can basically do whatever they want without consequence. They are still taxed for having two living quarters. Hate to tell you but that's how it is.

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We fight this every year with Denton County and my wife has become and artist at handling these people.

Its not just your taxes that are going up its everyone in Bexar County that is/are. The key to "winning" or not paying the ransom they want to charge is actually quite simple. Go to the Bexar County website and get your comps from there. The reason this is so important is that you are using "their" data to which removes that argument that you got it from somewhere else. Find the comps that obviously benefit you the most and that will keep your taxes as low as possible. Call to make an appointment so that you'll get in front of the line rather than just sit there in the waiting room. Go in regular clothes but bring all of your data and a smile. Be so friggin nice that they'll want you to leave and I mean overly nice. Yes sir no sir shake hands smile thank you all of that goodness to make them happy. Everyone else they meet is in a piss poor mood and has been or will be yelling at them. The nice guy gets the break.

My wife gets prepared every year as they try to hit us hard and she has kept our tax rates as a "reasonable" level. We know that they will go up but we only pay what the market demands. For several years (not consecutive) we did not have an increase.

BTW- it has nothing to do with your personal property per say but rather they are using an algorithm to your numbers to come up with there's.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    My wife gets prepared every year as they try to hit us hard and she has kept our tax rates as a "reasonable" level. We know that they will go up but we only pay what the market demands. For several years (not consecutive) we did not have an increase.

Therein lies the problem. It is not the "tax rate" that has increased, it is the appraisal on the property, resulting in an increase in taxes. In effect ye olde "taxation without representation".

Elected officials, accountable to the voters, set tax rates; a quasi government body, your county appraisal district, and unaccountable to the voters, appraises/sets the supposed value of the property.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Therein lies the problem. It is not the "tax rate" that has increased, it is the appraisal on the property, resulting in an increase in taxes. In effect ye olde "taxation without representation".

Elected officials, accountable to the voters, set tax rates; a quasi government body, your county appraisal district, and unaccountable to the voters, appraises/sets the supposed value of the property.

Thanks for correcting and for listing at least the first part of what I should have said. Depending upon how the local markets are performing your real estate taxes should follow along with a proper appraisal. Where people get in trouble are the noes that do not pay attention to the appraisals that the county will automatically apply to your property if you do not go in yourself and speak with them.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You must follow the protest rules exactly. Any deviation and you are done.

You can protest on equity (e.g., my house is not valued properly compared to similar houses in the neighborhood) or market value (e.g., no way houses like mine are selling for this).

For the first case, you must look at appraised value per sq ft of similar houses in your neighborhood. If the other house has something you do not (e.g, pool, out building, covered patio, etc.), then eliminate it from your list of "comparables". Of course that works both ways if you have an extra others in the comparison do not. Look at your $/sf ft compared to the list. If you are higher, then you can protest on that the appraisal is not equitable.

For the second case, you will need to have a realtor get actual selling prices of similar homes in your neighborhood for the past year. Convert that to $/sq ft. If the other house has something you do not (e.g, pool, out building, covered patio, etc.), then eliminate it from your list of "comparables". Of course that works both ways if you have an extra others in the comparison do not. Look at your appraised value $/sf ft compared to the list of actual sales. If you are higher, then you can protest on that the appraisal it does not accurately reflect market value.

You must do your homework and follow the rules. Otherwise, don't waste your time. Take in typed information presented clearly, about six copies.

They may offer to have someone meet with you prior to the actual protest hearing. If they give adequately, fine. If not, insist on the hearing.

But I cannot overstress doing your homework and following the rules. They look for any excuse to kick you out. And if you have not done your homework and you do not give them written data, the protest board does not take you seriously.

Good luck.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just came across this....

Housing market drives property tax increase in Montgomery County - Community Impact Newspaper

"Property owners over the age of 65 and disabled veterans can qualify for tax exemptions. If a property owner qualifies for a homestead exemption, the property tax increases can be capped at 10 percent, which would grant an average homeowner the ability to pay taxes on their home as if it was worth $15,000 less, Castleschouldt said"

I am unsure if this only goes for those over 65, or everybody...

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    This issue was front-center on the SA Express news today. My appraisal went up 26% over last year. Cam's 10% cap statement is correct. Although the value can increase more than 10%, they can't hit you any harder than 10% on your homestead in one year.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom