• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Tour de France day 4, yesterday some bad crashes. Roglic riding with serious road rash.
    Sagan too. Today was a great finish Cav deserved that win. He was in tears after a 6 year slump. People don't often realize how tough pro cyclists have to be, especially when doing a grand tour. My buddy Lawson Craddock rode all three weeks with a broken collarbone in 2019, Tyler Hamilton did the Giro with a broken back and collar bone (and a wrist?) a number of years ago, Landis' hip was bone on bone for the Tour in like '06 or '07

La Course (woman's race over a modified TDF stage 1 route) was pretty dang good too.

I did a small ride today, not going pro anytime soon, but it was a good nonetheless.
    c47f4f2a46adf0ecae1328e63ece7091.jpg

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    70C52B06-D4A1-4034-A931-A062B7038D05.jpeg
    No wind to speak of and I went around the event center trails a little. Pretty good climbs on the elevated paths.
    @cycleguy2300 your calorie burn is a bit higher than what your app is telling you;) couple of decent calculators out there that will go with your actual weight vs miles and speed. https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/
    The default on the app assumes you weigh 150, lol

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    View attachment 263995 No wind to speak of and I went around the event center trails a little. Pretty good climbs on the elevated paths.
    @cycleguy2300 your calorie burn is a bit higher than what your app is telling you;) couple of decent calculators out there that will go with your actual weight vs miles and speed. https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/
    The default on the app assumes you weigh 150, lol
    I think I put in my weight which bumped up the Cal counter. It works better when I use a heart rate monitor. If I find a good deal on a SRM that would be able to give me a almost perfect number.

Down to 210 this morning, I'm pretty stoked about that.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Got a little health issue right now that keeps me from riding. Drove by the COA last week. I definitely want to go ride that this summer.

Hope to get back on the bike maybe by this week's end.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Got a little health issue right now that keeps me from riding. Drove by the COA last week. I definitely want to go ride that this summer.

Hope to get back on the bike maybe by this week's end.
    Everyone gets saddle sores at some point ;)

Seriously, hope you get well enough to ride again soon.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Rode out to The Driveway again last night. I met another racer heading out there, about half way and slowed down since they were going to race and didn't want them to burn their legs before their race. I felt super good, like I was actually fit. It doesn't look impressive by the numbers because Ibwas riding pretty chill for the last half, but I felt GOOD.

It takes about two weeks for your body to fully recover and respond from prior efforts. I am finally standing on the pile of dirt next to the holes I dug doing those 100mi rides through Lockhart. That has always been the hardest part of training for me is digging a hole and being willing to loose some speed for a week or two to get faster. Maybe having a painful or slower few days doesn't seem so bad after being mostly off the bike for a few years.

a7daa43327ae9c2761980e4c19ced8e0.jpg

b1713cc645001b8e7330c3d6f3a6f2ad.jpg

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I'm doing a big ride with some fast folks tomorrow. We'll see how my legs really feel when I have some of the Elbowz (Ben Spies' bicycle team) guys setting the pace up the climbs on The Dam Loop (about 70mi RT for me). Starts 0700 from The Meteor on S Congress Ave.

Group rides are a really good way to get faster. They tend to be faster than you would ride solo, but sometimes easier (if you ride smart and stay in the draft). The combo let's you ride hard, close to or over your limit but tuck in and get a draft and recover when you get gassed. Your "20min avg effort limit" is about where your aerobic threshholdis. I.e. how hard you ride ride while primarily using your aerobic system (fat burning) and not significantly drawing power from your anaerobic metabolic pathways (sprints, weightlifting, 100m dash are anaerobic efforts which directly burn glycogen stored in your liver).
    By training at, near or just over your Aerobic Threshhold (AT, sometimes called LT for lactic theshhold, but Lactate is a metabolic byproduct and is like using CO2 buildup to measure how big a fire is) you can move the AT up, allowing you to ride faster, farther without needing as much food intake during the effort. You can only burn fat and use your glycogen stores for so long before you need to eat. I try for 1-200Kcal/hour on hard rides, for easy rides I can do 2h or 3h without needing food. The British Track Cying team changed their training a few years ago from over distance-under pace to under dist- over pace. By working the aerobic system to the max (it is still operating when you go anerobic) they were able to improve their AT and sustained power numbers by a good amount. Big, long rides like my Lockhart loops are good for fat burning and weight loss and all but I could have burned those same Kcals in 50 or 60mi of high paced efforts, even if broken into 2 or 3 rides and gotten better results for my AT. That is why Intervals (hills) are so good for getting faster. You go over pace (effort) then can recover for a bit and do it again, it helps your AT.

Having less dependence on stored glycogen when riding is helpful even in day-to-day life. You are more independent of meals, maybe you can eat a bit less or skip one here or there without feeling like death and over eating later.

We'll see how long I can hang with these guys, they're FAST!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I realize most of you have little or no interest in racing, but group rides are a ton of fun and you'd be surprised at the age and body types that can hang or even push you on some of the rides.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I realize most of you have little or no interest in racing, but group rides are a ton of fun and you'd be surprised at the age and body types that can hang or even push you on some of the rides.

When I did my birthday ride there were guys in their 60-70s that were absolutely kicking the shit out of it.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Just got home. Woo! That hurt!!!

Went Clock-wise. Got dropped going up the Dam climb then rejoined at Rudy's where they regroup. Then got dropped again going up 360 SB from Pennybacker Bridge. Chased hard and kept a few in sight till we turned off 360.

First ride with my new heart rate monitor. I don't ride with a computer, I just run Strava on my phone in my pocket.
    c876821fbf29b59f11507ee0f36deea5.jpg
    8bd92c43608c44824ebde2cc7a63889f.jpg

Top Bottom