• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    No candy ass .30 cals in this thread, this is for those of you that own some .338+ caliber guns. I want to know which ones you love the best. I need a good shoulder destroying rifle that is loud as hell, preferably in an affordable platform.

I'm wanting a CZ in .416 Rigby or .505 Gibbs REALLY badly. I am also a fan of the M77 Africa in .375 Ruger. That cartridge has some stomp to it.

I rapid fire .460 Weatherby Magnums for fun ... seriously. I need recoil to survive.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I picked up my CZ 550 at Cabelas in Buda. The price was very good compared to other big bores. The 458 Lott is a good round. Ammo is fairly cheap compared to other big bores, at about $4 a shot. Componants are readily available so it is reloader friendly also. Offhand I would guess that I reload them for $2 a round or less. Ofcourse, the 458 Lott may not be enough for you if you shoot the 460 Weatherby for fun.

Fleetman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Here's mine....

LAR .50 BMG
    CZ 550 .458 Lott
    Rem 700 .338 Win Mag

Missing from the picture is my Marlin GG .45-70 and TC Contender .444 Marlin.

I want a .416 Rigby next but my first choice if I could afford it would be a Lahti 39......20mm

Attachments

• big rifles 1..jpg
      big rifles 1..jpg
      5.1 KB · Views: 108

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I fired a Winchester M70 in .458 Win Magnum. The bullets were solid and recoil turned my whole body 90 degrees. That's just a whole lot more gun than I need, thanks!

Another bruiser I fired was a Thompson Center Hawken shooting the Maxiballs. I used to vaporize bricks with it. I used a rolled up towel as a "sissy" bag but the rascal kept loosening up the teeth on the right side of my jaw.

For those wanting the experience but don't want to spend the money on heavy artillery, The 12 gauge 3" and now the 3 1/2" magnums will rattle your cage. My hands are huge and the heavy magnums will split my fingers wide open on the trigger guard. Figured that was enough of that!

I shot military rifle matches for a long time and preferred the 1903A3 in 30-06. Shooting that baby 56 times in a match will send you home slightly battered!

Had a tour of Pauza Specialties, a company that makes the 50BMG rifles. Didn't shoot one but imagine that one could rattle you pretty well.

Flash

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    I have a Weatherby 338-378 that has never been fired I'd be willing to part with. The muzzle brake screws on and off for days when you're feeling frisky.

Fleetman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I seriously doubt a .458 Win Mag could turn your body 90 degrees UNLESS you are holding it way wrong. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone but come on....a .458 Win Mag does not kick that hard. I've bench-rested my Lott many times and although not my favorite way to shoot it (I prefer sticks), it isn't that bad.

I agree with the .338-.378.....I'm sure that one has some meat behind it! My .30-378 (Ruger #1 Tropical) is terrible!

My .50 BMG doesn't recoil as bad as one would think but the concussion is tremendous.

The absolute worst firearm I've fired though is my gf's S&W M&P 360.....with full-house mags, it is very painful, at least to me. Luckily, .38 Specials tame it down to a comfortable level.

LFOD1776

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Austin
    Suppressed 50BMG kicks pretty hard -- you don't get the benefit of the jet propulsion from the brake, as all the gas is contained by the can (at least for a spell). But it is not inexpensive.

aw50_cyclops.jpg

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Suppressed 50BMG kicks pretty hard -- you don't get the benefit of the jet propulsion from the brake, as all the gas is contained by the can (at least for a spell). But it is not inexpensive.

aw50_cyclops.jpg

Interesting ... I've always experienced a fair amount of recoil reduction running suppressed on other calibers. I wonder if some of it is the reflective wave you get from a suppressed gun. The .50 BMG is pretty unique since it uses a huge powder volume, and that kind of pressure wake would have alot of slap, much more than a .338 Lapua.

Top Bottom