Bipods

Discussion in 'Rimfire' started by rednekked, Apr 11, 2018.

1. rednekked

rednekked New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Rockport
    I think I might like a bipod to mount on my .22s. They have sling studs on the forearm – so mounting should be easy. I looked on EBay, Amazon and Midway USA. The prices are all over the place! What Id like to know – is a $100 bipod 5 times better than a $20 bipod?

I’ll only use it to shoot at the range…can I get by with a low priced model? I’ll use it on my Boyd stocked 10/22 and my heavy barrel CZ 22s.

Michael

2. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    You could get by with sandbags also.

3. robertc1024

robertc1024 Not That Guy TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Vaquero likes this.
  4. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Short answer, a $100 Harris will last 5 times longer than a $20 knock off bipod.

Will a cheap bipod hold the front of your rifle up? Yes but it will flex and it is much easier to accidently fold the feet up as the springs are weak. Plus the bolts will come loose and possibly get stripped when you tighten them.

Bipods are like any other accessory such as scopes. Even if you change rifles the accessories will move from one to the next and keep earning their value.

5. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have both the cheap ones from Amazon and some Caldwell bipods. I am not in the same class of shooter that some on here are, like Dawico, but even I can tell the difference when I shoot.
    Yes,, quqlity matters.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

6. rednekked

rednekked New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Rockport
    Thanks Robertc1024 - the article was informative. Maybe a sandbag is my best choice.
    M

7. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Remember, bipods can be switched between different rifles. You will notice quite a lot of difference between a well made bipod and a cheap knock-off. If you plan on ever using one on a heavier rifle I would suggest an Atlas, IMO they are the best, but yes they will cost considerably more.

8. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I once saw a very expensive bipod that attached to a ring around the forend. The bipod could be moved to any position on the ring and locked in place. You could literally steady the rifle by pushing it up against overhanging cover if you wished. More commonly, it was easy to swing 90 degrees left or right to steady against a wall.

It looked like a very nice piece of kit but I remember it being a bit bulky and very expensive.

Unfortunately, I've lost the link. Does this description ring a bell with anyone?

9. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire I wake up, put a good dip in, crack a cold one... TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Borden County
    I run Harris on all my rifles. Bought some cheap ones last year. They are sitting on the shelf..

10. rednekked

rednekked New Member

Dec 5, 2017
    Rockport
    Thanks guys. After seeing the responses I'm not sure I "need" a bipod. I don't think I'd use it enough to justify the cost.
    Michael