• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    And look who got charged in the incident;

He did commit the criminal act of assault on the woman when he slapped the phone out of her hand. So yes he should be charged.

Where I have a problem is, they aren't charging any of the protesters with obstructing traffic in public roadway. So if they aren't going to charge the protesters, then he shouldn't be charged with assault either. The actions of the protesters, indirectly were responsible for the assault occurring. The man who assaulted the woman, was upset and angry at being denied use of a public roadway that he had every right to use, just like anyone else.

With a good attorney, I think he has good grounds for getting the charge dropped, if they aren't charging the protesters.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    And look who got charged in the incident;

Class C Misdemeanor for a swat and a miss. Nothing burger, charging him is petty.

Seems more like trying to appease the mob "The woman questioned why police didn’t arrest the man who was confronting the protesters.", in order to avoid another protest, this time against the police.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    He did commit the criminal act of assault on the woman when he slapped the phone out of her hand. So yes he should be charged.

Where I have a problem is, they aren't charging any of the protesters with obstructing traffic in public roadway. So if they aren't going to charge the protesters, then he shouldn't be charged with assault either. The actions of the protesters, indirectly were responsible for the assault occurring. The man who assaulted the woman, was upset and angry at being denied use of a public roadway that he had every right to use, just like anyone else.

With a good attorney, I think he has good grounds for getting the charge dropped, if they aren't charging the protesters.

So, all that happens is he's out the money for a good attorney....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    So, all that happens is he's out the money for a good attorney....

Well, he has two choices. Pay the fine, and is stuck with it being on his record, or fight the charge in court, and hopefully it gets dropped because none of the protesters were charged with a criminal act. A good attorney could argue that of they hadn't been obstructing the roadway, the man charged with assault, more than likely would never have gotten out his vehicle and had cause to assault the protester.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Well, he has two choices. Pay the fine, and is stuck with it being on his record, or fight the charge in court, and hopefully it gets dropped because none of the protesters were charged with a criminal act. A good attorney could argue that of they hadn't been obstructing the roadway, the man charged with assault, more than likely would never have gotten out his vehicle and had cause to assault the protester.

Sorry.
    I didn't have the sarcasm font on.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the fact that no one else was charged will have any bearing on his trial.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I could be wrong, but I don't think the fact that no one else was charged will have any bearing on his trial.

It may or may not have any bearing. but it's what I would put forth.

If the protesters hadn't been in the street obstructing a public roadway, he probably would never had gotten angry, and gotten out of his vehicle to assault the protester.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but in all fairness, it's not right to charge him with assault, and not charge the protesters with obstruction. IF they charged the protesters, then he should just suck it up, pay the fine and go on with his life. No LE officer, or prosecutor should be picking and choosing which laws to enforce. Assault is a criminal act. Obstructing the public roadway was a criminal act. Either both should be enforce, or neither IMO.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I suspect many LEO's across the nation feel that way right now.
    Suspect? If you've paid any attention to any news, you know that's the case.

I'm all for it. It's not that I don't respect the job they do, in fact that's the point. They aren't getting the respect in major cities.

The way I see it, if you're a cop in a major city, is that you are the next Derek Chauvin on one side, or you're the boot licking puppet of the mayor by the other side.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Too many times, we are seeing politics determine what laws are enforced, and against who they deem they should be applied to.

That is entirely wrong. Laws are suppose to be applied fairly and without prejudice against, and for everyone.

This I think is why many people have lost faith in the criminal justice system. Politics, rather than equal enforcement of the law, determines who gets charged and prosecuted, rather than the law being enforced equally for all.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    It may or may not have any bearing. but it's what I would put forth.

If the protesters hadn't been in the street obstructing a public roadway, he probably would never had gotten angry, and gotten out of his vehicle to assault the protester.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but in all fairness, it's not right to charge him with assault, and not charge the protesters with obstruction. IF they charged the protesters, then he should just suck it up, pay the fine and go on with his life. No LE officer, or prosecutor should be picking and choosing which laws to enforce. Assault is a criminal act. Obstructing the public roadway was a criminal act. Either both should be enforce, or neither IMO.

Agree it is not right, but I think the judge will have to try the case in front of him.

Top Bottom