Join TexasGunTalk

Blue counties along the border

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Guy Fawkes, Nov 7, 2018.

1. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I was trying to answer your question in post #28, "Given your job stats, what percentage of those jobs are well above minimum wage?"

Since the Texas MW of $7.25 per hour equates to $15,080 per year for a 40 hour week, I would say $29,000 at nearly double that is "well above" the minimum, but perhaps you need to be more specific in your definition of "well above".

toddnjoyce likes this.
  2. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    AustinN4,

Thanks, but my definition of 'well above' isn't $29,000 a year.

Of course, if one's PhD is in some bogus effort like pottery making, or something else like diversity expert or something akin to such, hell, maybe one's being overpaid at $29,000.....

Or, just remembered it was GilbertC.

This young guy, very likable, was recently looking for a job and was quite disappointed in what he encountered in the job market even with a degree.

To be sure, degrees in a variety of sciences, ditto engineering, medicine (which is of course science too) ) will be make a prospective job seeker much more attractive - not so much if you're degree is simple fraudulent window dressing......

Anyway, sorry, I'm rambling. Is the 2% unemployment due to many being counted when doing minimum wage jobs or ...?

Thanks!!

3. Gilbertc13

Gilbertc13 Member

Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    That would be me you’re referring to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    The BA of today is the high school graduation of 40 years ago.

The reading level of the average HS graduate is now at 5th grade level. Employers are hoping that someone who attended enough college courses to get a degree is at least reading at a 7th grade level.

5. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    This, for sure! Before I retired 20 years ago, we were already having to provide remedial english and math to entry level HS grads. I imagine it is way worse now.

6. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Lots of skilled trades work in Houston and Dallas.

7. zincwarrior

zincwarrior TGT Addict

Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Salaries and cost of living are higher in Texas urban areas than rural, if that is what you are asking.

8. Mowingmaniac 24/7

Mowingmaniac 24/7 Well-Known

Nov 7, 2015
    Austin,

Were you a member of the teacher's union?

If so, is it true they're a leftist organization or is that a popular misconception?

Thanks!!

9. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Why would you ask me that? I have never been a member of any union, nor have I ever needed anyone to negotiate on my behalf. I do very good on my own and I pretty much abhor labor unions.

10. popper

popper Active Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Follow the money! Border towns get cheap labor from across the border. Read the latest (big give away) farm bill passed by congress. University towns are liberal (started in the late 40s). Big welfare cities are blue. Yea, SNAPs and unemployed money is down but that is due to work requirements and actually prosecuting the fraud. Report back here with a state capitol that isn't blue.