• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dovii4ever

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Waco
    I'm looking for a good place in Texas to go bobcat hunting next year. I seen a couple of ranches online but I just though I would ask around and see if anybody has any recommendations or any places they know.
    ARJ Defense ad

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I don't know where they bagged 'em but a lot of guys in the Huntsville area have mounts. I was at a guys place yesterday and he had 6.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    I saw a bobcat the size of a border collie last fall seven miles south of Colorado City, TX.

Sent from the mind of a genius. Forrealz.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Why hunt predators? Unless they are nuisance animals or rabid. If you want to hunt something for your wall, kill pigs. More impressive mount from a 250+ pound boar than an oversized housecat.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Why hunt predators?

They kill the rabbits off of the ranches I hunt.
    1. I enjoy hunting rabbits.
    2. Rabbits provide a quick meal when I'm on an extended hunt.
    3. I sometimes use rabbits as bait for cats, pigs, etc.
    4. I promised a German friend of mine that I work with that I would get him a rabbit fur hat.

Don't mess with my rabbits, man.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Relatively speaking bobcats sightings are rare and according to TPWD website their population is strong so if I got the chance, I'd take one.

Besides, they look a damn site better mounted than some ole warty hogs head :p

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I like predator hunting....just not very good at it.

I also like my rabbits. If I catch anything messing with my pet jackrabbits I plan to intervene at around 2,650 FPS.

Hoping I can get the rabbit populations built back up enough to allow for some hunting in the future but they are having a hard time making a comeback. Something's getting them, pretty sure it's coyotes but have gotten a fox on the game can about a year ago and wouldn't be surprised if there's a bobcat hiding out somewhere. They can be pretty elusive.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Hoping I can get the rabbit populations built back up enough to allow for some hunting in the future but they are having a hard time making a comeback.

Ditto. The places I used to hunt, and the places I currently hunt, the rabbit populations have been seriously crippled. Upton, Midland, Tom Green, Mitchell, Howard, and Crockett counties are all missing too many rabbits.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    They kill the rabbits off of the ranches I hunt.
    1. I enjoy hunting rabbits.
    2. Rabbits provide a quick meal when I'm on an extended hunt.
    3. I sometimes use rabbits as bait for cats, pigs, etc.
    4. I promised a German friend of mine that I work with that I would get him a rabbit fur hat.

Don't mess with my rabbits, man.

Fair enough. If you read my entire statement I said unless they are nuisance or rabid. I am assuming you kill enough rabbits to keep the ecosystem balanced.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I like predator hunting....just not very good at it.

I also like my rabbits. If I catch anything messing with my pet jackrabbits I plan to intervene at around 2,650 FPS.

Hoping I can get the rabbit populations built back up enough to allow for some hunting in the future but they are having a hard time making a comeback. Something's getting them, pretty sure it's coyotes but have gotten a fox on the game can about a year ago and wouldn't be surprised if there's a bobcat hiding out somewhere. They can be pretty elusive.
    Fireants are having more of an impact than native predators. Orthene would probably work better than a .556.

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ditto. The places I used to hunt, and the places I currently hunt, the rabbit populations have been seriously crippled. Upton, Midland, Tom Green, Mitchell, Howard, and Crockett counties are all missing too many rabbits.

Again, fire ants are your culprit.

Stumpy

Landman/Presbyterian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Slaton, TX
    Really? I have heard the same thing about horny toads. I heard that fire ants killed a bunch of them off as well.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Really? I have heard the same thing about horny toads. I heard that fire ants killed a bunch of them off as well.

In large part. Horned Lizards eat ants. They can not differentiate between the invasive fire ants, and the native ants they feed on. When they eat the invasive fire ants they get stung in the soft tissue of the mouth, throat, and stomach which kills them dead.

If you want rabbits and quail back, control the fire ants. It is difficult, but can be done.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Fireants are having more of an impact than native predators. Orthene would probably work better than a .556.

I've used every fire ant killer locally sold and all tend to move mounds instead if kill them. They take a huge toll in any animal that raises its young on the ground an have destroyed native qual populations.

That said, I'm gonna keep hunting the four legged critters.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I've used every fire ant killer locally sold and all tend to move mounds instead if kill them. They take a huge toll in any animal that raises its young on the ground an have destroyed native qual populations.

That said, I'm gonna keep hunting the four legged critters.

Try nematodes. Three acres almost fire ant free for almost a decade.

If you are going to use commercial insecticides, the best time of year to use them is when the queens are about to swarm. Maximum population control there.

Last edited:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Come to san marcos,, there is a whole campus of em down here!!!!
    We hunt the small ones, and we only hunt the females,,
    Cause they taste like chicken...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Try nematodes. Three acres almost fire ant free for almost a decade.

If you are going to use commercial insecticides, the best time of year to use them is when the queens are about to swarm. Maximum population control there.

Thanks, I'll look'em up.

Top Bottom