• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I'm curious. How many of you believe in personal body armor? I'm on the fence about buying them and I was hoping some of you can talk me off the fence one way or another.
    Lynx Defense

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have a level 3 set with level 3a options if I change the armor plates/pads. I'm glad that I got it, hope I never need it but at least I have the option, now. You get insurance for your house & car but hope that you never need it. It's the same concept.

Flash

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Well, think about where and how you might use it and then you can try and judge if it's worth it. I see trainers and Range Officers often wear them. So if you put in a lot of time and ranges that don't have lane separation and or very little range supervision maybe it would be something to think about. If you live in the country were police response is slow maybe you might want something incase you had some kind of a shootout situation but in the city you would have cops arriving before you would get a vest on so... Are you looking for something you might really use or is it just a SHTF gear? Odds are you'll never need it but if it makes you feel better to have it then...

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I heard that HR 5344 is a bill that may prohibit civilians from purchasing/possessing body armor. How likely is that to happen?

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I built a rack to hold my Level 3 gear. It has steel plates so it's pretty heavy. I keep the Velcro straps set up for easy "donning." I lay the vest on the bed front side down, Bend and slide my body into the vest. I tighten the waist band and that's it! It takes about 30 seconds to put the vest on. Later, I can tighten the straps but the initial goal is to get the vest on me!

Taking the steel plates out and replacing them with the soft (and light) level 3A panels, weight is reduced a lot. I'm certain that just slinging the vest over your head would suffice for wearing the vest in level 3A configuration.

A word of advice. If you go with steel level 3 plates, my initial thought was to only use a front plate. That makes the vest terribly off balance. You really need the weight of the rear plate to keep the whole vest (and YOU) balanced! The level 3A soft panels only weigh about a pound so that isn't a problem.

Flash

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Flash, do you suggest Level IIIA or go straight for the Level III steel? The 3A is more expensive, offers less protection but thinner and lighter...

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Those are good questions!

My plan was to hunker down and ward off a threat to my position. I never planned to walk around with the vest so I chose Level 3 steel plates front & rear. The most important design of these AR500 plates is that they have a protective coating to keep any impact splatter from harming the wearer. They aren't just plain steel plates. They are really high tech body armor plates!

They have no shelf life limitations. They can also resist repeated impacts. Check out their tests online. These level 3 plates can take a pounding ................but the vest is very heavy.

I have two soft, level 3A panels that can be substituted for the steel plates but it takes a while (10 minutes) to install them. I like the lighter weight and would hope that I'd never take a hit from anything more powerful than the 44 magnum that the 3A handles!

The down sides to the soft panels are cost first, and that they have a shelf life of 5 years. That sucks. They can't take repeated hits in the same place as they are rapidly destroyed by the hits.

So...each has it strong points and limitations. If I intended to walk around with the vest, it would need to be a level 3A soft panel for sure. The level 3 set up is just too heavy!

Flash

Last edited:

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Check out a plate carrier with ceramic rifle plates. I think the rating is 4A or so, fairly lite and much much cheaper than soft panels. Soft armor also has a "expiration date"....can't tell me steel or ceramic plate will expire lol.

I'd only get soft panels If you plan on wearing it under your clothes. Iirc, depending where you look you can get two ceramic plates and a carrier that will cover most vital areas for $400 or so.

My 3A soft panel with concealable carrier was 600 for a "less known brand"

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Does a vest take several minutes to put on? Either that or police response times have improved a lot recently...
    Where do you see keeping it and where will you be when shooting starts? Maybe you'll have several placed strategically though your house but those that just stick it in the closet like most people would, yes, I think it would take a couple of min to get a vest and put it on.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Where do you see keeping it and where will you be when shooting starts? Maybe you'll have several placed strategically though your house but those that just stick it in the closet like most people would, yes, I think it would take a couple of min to get a vest and put it on.
    A couple of minutes? Sounds like a training issue.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Repeating what I posted earlier, I have my vest on a rack that I made. I lay the heavy level 3 vest on the bed front side down, slide my body into it then stand up. Attaching the Velcro waist band is last. Later, I can tighten the vest straps for comfort.

Donning my vest takes 30 seconds but I do NOT attempt to swing it over my head or step into the open side as they suggest.

Flash

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    I've ordered a plate carrier and pouches. I'm going to do a bit more research on the actual plates before I jump in and make a purchase. I like the durability of the steel plates but not the weight. I like the light and thin ceramic plates but not the shelf-life or fragility. I may end up with steel plates since I want the rig primarily for home defense... not sure yet.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I've ordered a plate carrier and pouches. I'm going to do a bit more research on the actual plates before I jump in and make a purchase. I like the durability of the steel plates but not the weight. I like the light and thin ceramic plates but not the shelf-life or fragility. I may end up with steel plates since I want the rig primarily for home defense... not sure yet.

Level IV FTW!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom