Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If anyone is interested check out stangskyting on YouTube. It's Norwegian speed shooting using bolt action rifles and I believe only iron sights
    Watched several vids. That's some seriously cool shooting and looks like it would be incredibly fun. If only my back were 20 years younger... :)
    Guns International

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Thank you Ben. I had no idea this type of competition existed. My first thought when I see these types of videos is how much would it cost me. :-) This would cost a bit to start up to be competitive. I need to subscribe to some of these youtube channels.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ask him how far handguns should be shot...
    Engraving on the side of an XP-100 pistol stock often used by SSK Industries:
    yFVtIWZ.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Manual bolt seems to be action of choice for long range accuracy but why? I can see it as more reliable but what are the other advantages over a gas or other type action?
    As Dawico pointed out, stiffness is important for accuracy. Ideally, a perfectly accurate rifle wouldn't flex when fired. In fact, though, they all flex. Barrels bend. Even actions bend while containing the high pressure of a rifle shot.

One reason (a big one, imo) that bolt actions are generally more accurate than other action types is because it's easier to make all the parts stiffer. A thicker barrel will vibrate less and it's easier to put a monstrously bull barrel on a bolt action.

Anothber of the big factors to consider is how much the action itself flexes and bends under load. When the action flexes, the entire rifle is flexing. The scope mounts move and the scope flexes. The barrel changes its relationship to the stock. None of that is good for accuracy.

An action that isn't stiff can be quite accurate but it can't be "win a world benchrest championship" accurate. Since most of what we know about extracting maximum potential mechanical accuracy from rifles comes from organized benchrest shooting, their practices are worth taking to heart if you want an accurate rifle.

Precision Shooting magazine did a series of articles where they measured actions to determine how relatively flexible they were when in use. (Then they compiled those articles into a thin book. If I can find my copy of it, I'll re-edit this post to include that information.) The not-at-all-surprising result of their research showed that stiff actions were more accurate. They certainly appeared more often in the equipment lists from trophy winners; such lists were a big feature of that magazine.

I have three Wichita Mini BR actions as shown in this picture. Can you think of any action type that would be stiffer than these things? They're short and fat and I think they're very, very special. Under the current state of the art, where ultimate mechanical accuracy potential is required, bolts rule.
    tMsMm6h.jpg

tMsMm6h

Last edited:

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Good discussion, thanks. Did get my questions answered too. It looks like that for an average shooter like myself, a bolt gun is probably not going to increase the odds of placing a good kill shot on something like a deer at a couple hundred yards. I was facing a small dilemma over getting a bolt rifle, or yet another AR platform, this time in .308/7.62N. Guess I can stick with the simplicity and versatility of the AR w/o worry now. Thanks

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Good discussion, thanks. Did get my questions answered too. It looks like that for an average shooter like myself, a bolt gun is probably not going to increase the odds of placing a good kill shot on something like a deer at a couple hundred yards. I was facing a small dilemma over getting a bolt rifle, or yet another AR platform, this time in .308/7.62N. Guess I can stick with the simplicity and versatility of the AR w/o worry now. Thanks
    I think it's easier to work on your fundamentals with a bolt gun though. Like Dawico said, you tend to shoot faster with a semi. I rarely shoot my ARs on the rifle range anymore.

Sent from my P00C using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    For deer hunting at a couple hundred yards almost any rifle will work. Few off the shelf rifles won't shoot at least 1.5 MOA which translates to a 3 inch group at 200 yards.

If you do your part you will be just fine with that. Good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom