attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

treyw

Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    I've seen some pretty bad failures with reloads that pushed pressures a little too far. Buddy of mine overloaded a .45 LC here recently. Gladly when he pulled the trigger in his Blackhawk the only damage done was it unseated the bullet on the next round in the cylinder.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2008
    That was not a S&W fail. That was an operator error.

The rounds on either side did not fire. The bullet would not be still at the end of the charge hole had the primer ignited the powder.

That is a test book example of over loaded cartridge damage in an S&W revolver.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bad primers would be my guess, smokeless doesn't do sympathetic explosions that I know of. Much more common on black power cap and ball revolvers.

Eli

All it takes is a spark in that powder...

But you're right, looking at it again it doesn't look like that happened. More like the gases coming by from the (probably overloaded) cartridge blew the soft brass apart and unseated and "shot" the bullets out.

KellyAsh

Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Since we're throwing guessed out about how the other 2 were damaged, it looks to me, like theye were set off from the heat of the first explosion...maybe aided by the cases being torn open mechanically from the cyclinder coming apart. Whatever happened, I bet he wont do that again.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Or it could have been a squib round that got lodged in the barrel, and the shooter was doing some rapid fire, and/or didn't notice the different sound and feel, and just pulled the trigger again. That would explode the top most chamber, and the shock could ignite the adjacent rounds.

What ever happened, there's some underwear that needs changing.

Top Bottom