• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juggernaut762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2021
    Belton, TX
    Just wanted to hear people's thoughts on what they use for boots and socks for camping/hiking/outdoor training. Right now I'm running McRae waterproof boots with cotton socks spring-fall and 100% wool socks during the winter. I find the boots decent during the winter with the wool socks but I always manage to find a deep puddle or some other body of water and go knee deep getting water all inside my boot(s). They're quite unpleasant in the summertime and manageable spring and fall. I've had a pair of the classic jungle boots but they never really seemed to vent the water out enough and I still had puddles in my boots even after walking around for a couple hours; I've seen some boots that have double vents and might get those for 3 season use. The cotton socks work to a point but I've been looking at some wool blend socks to replace them. I live in central Texas between Waco and Austin so it doesn't often get cold here and the terrain isn't that rugged. I do most of my camping around here but have gone down to the Houston area and Dallas/Longview area a few times. The wife and I have been talking about taking some trips out to Big Bend sometime next year.
    I have a good idea of the boots and socks I want to get but wanted to see what other people use.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Having been in 'Nam and seemingly always crappy wet conditions, I don't know how our feet survived. The number of days between even taking off our boots and socks were too many but the least of our worries at the time. I do remember extra socks and lots of foot powder were essential. At telco I got the expensive insulated rubber boots plus wool socks but never got them soaked above the top as you describe. They make hip waders for that but they aren't friendly for distance hunting, hiking and camping. My advice is to avoid situations where you suddenly get knee deep in water., have excellent boots for support and accept your feet are going to get wet and damp and they won't be locked into that environment long enough to do any damage. If camping, kick them off and air out best you can and powder up

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    a986a1e0df77ca23d7508de65ba289cf.jpg

Incredibly comfortable for me. Had a pair for the past 3 years, the only pair I put on when I hunt. Still holding up good. On socks I carry extra with me as my feet sweat a lot.

ea4885a8c6f11a6652ea971ced7114b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Realistically the vents that let water out are going to let it in too.

Buy a second pair of boots and rotate them daily or as needed so one set can be drying. Putting on wet boots is miserable.

My experience is with work boots so limited on recommendations for hikers but Redwing makes some nice boots that cover both areas well.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Go full waterproof/no vents and don’t walk in water up to your knee.

Pretty much any lines waterproof boot will work. I don’t care for unlined waterproof boots because it will start to soak through the leather.

I have a pair of Redwings now and will say they are holding up really well. My only complaint is that for the cost I wanted to replace the insole the first day. Redwing offered their upgrade for a ridiculous price, lol.

My experience is working outdoors in all weather conditions, from August in Texas to the deep freeze last winter, and spring and fall storms.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Goretex keeps moisture (sweat) in just as well as it keeps rain out. I have an old issue military goretex jacket I used walking to and from work. In cool, wet, conditions it was great. But in cool, dry, conditions I would sweat like a pig.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Goretex keeps moisture (sweat) in just as well as it keeps rain out. I have an old issue military goretex jacket I used walking to and from work. In cool, wet, conditions it was great. But in cool, dry, conditions I would sweat like a pig.
    No vents to open? My jacket has underarm vents that work well in even warmer rainy weather!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    I switched from RedWing to Danner

I wore Redwings for 15+ years and raved about them. 10 or so years ago they turned to not being as solid of a boot.

As far as socks I laughed at guys that paid 20 bucks for a pair of socks. Someone gave me a pair of Darn Tough socks and its all I wear now lol.

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I like both Merrell and Keen boots, and alternated between them while in Afghanistan. Still wearing them now, along with a pair of Altamas that I bought from Boot Campaign (an excellent program.) But since I moved back to Texas you can barely get me out of my flip flops!

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I wear at least a 13 and had trouble with the Darn Tough large and Lorpen and other XL socks being too tight.The Darn Tough XL are too large and bunch.

Been extremely happy with MirMaru and have several sets. They are holding up well and my feet are more comfortable than they've been in years this deer season.

Available at Amazon.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I like to have plenty of ankle support in my boots.

I typically go for Danner boots - same I'd wear while working. They're heavier, because full grain leather. Are they super breathable? Not the ones I wear. Are they water proof? Nope. Leather will soak up water. But the soles give good traction, and the ankle support is top notch. They're also resoleable.

For socks - I have abandoned anything that is not wool or at least a wool-synthetic blend. No more cotton socks, ever. Wool will keep your feet warmer when they are wet, and I found my feet stay *cooler* in warm weather, in wool (because wool is more breathable) than they did in cotton. I've really come to loathe cotton as a fabric because it just sucks all around. I started going to breathable, lighter weight synthetics for my base layers and outer layers before moving here to Texas, but the warmer climate has accelerated that. I might have a handful of cotton-poly blend T-shirts left, but no cotton socks, no cotton undies. All my outer shirts are light weight breathable synthetics. My warm layers are light weight breathable synthetics. My rain coat(s) is/are a light weight breathable synthetic.

I have not wade-fished here much - I waded a little bit in the Colorado River in Austin, and I'd wade fish some Hill Country streams. I used to wade fish a LOT in Oregon and Washington. I don't wear leather boots for wading. I typically go with Keen sandals - they make a full synthetic targeted to fishing guides that was very comfy, and dried quickly. I also have leather sandals - not as great for wading, but it's happened a few times. You can get synthetic, light weight wading boots / booties from Cabela's or Bass Pro. Cabela's has had a neoprene wading bootie for decades that zips up and provides some protection from rocks/snags with some ankle support.

Korkers brand wading boots might be the best option though - they use a modular sole system - so you can switch between a rubber lug sole for hiking / easy wading, and either a studded lug sole or felt sole for wading in slipperier conditions. If you're wading on algae covered rocks - you NEED either felts or studs for safer wading. It takes less than a minute to swap the soles out on the Korkers and you don't have to take the boots off to do it.

If stream crossings / wading wasn't as big a deal, and you wanted something lighter than full leather - Keen makes a hell of a hiking boot.

I have never owned a pair of Salomon boots, but those I know who have loved them. The biggest complaint they had though, is that despite being a premium boot, they do not last as long as say, Danners will. If I had to guess, its because they're largely glued together, rather than mostly stitched.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I tried one pair of Danners. Very comfortable but only got 6-7 months out of them. Seems my experience is different than most.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I did like the Danners I got in the military though.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Redwing for me. I needed something without laces and waterproof that I could actually walk any distance in for motorcycling, so I went with these. Cotton socks in the summer and 100% wool socks in the winter. Walked all over Washington DC in these over a five day vacation right before the plandemic hit, and did just fine.

5D6684E0-CC06-411D-9662-B519F53ABDB5.png

equin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I recently did a 10K running biathlon 30 minutes southwest of Waco carrying about 20-25 lbs of gear (rifle, ammo, water, handgun, etc.). The course had us go about 75 yards through a creek in knee deep water. Knowing this, I eschewed waterproof boots for the event. I knew water would get in them, making them water-logged, heavy, slow-to-dry, and uncomfortable.

Instead, I wore low-cut Brooks trail running shoes with Merrell wool blend “hiking” socks. That combo worked great. The trail running shoes were still light when I exited the water, and since they’re designed for muddy trails they provided much better grip and traction climbing out of muddy and slick-rock creek banks. After about an hour, they dried off for the most part.

The temps were in the 80’s at the time, though. I don’t know how I would’ve fared in below-freezing temps with that combo. I might’ve just brought an extra pair of wool socks to change into and hope for the best.

And speaking of socks, I’ve tried Darn Wool and a few other wool brands. Some were just too thick, while other “light running” socks were too thin, almost like dress socks. But the Merrell hiking wool blend socks worked perfectly for me.

Anyway, at my first such event 3 years prior, I wore Garmont NFS 8” “military compliant” boots. They’re lighter than regular boots and surprisingly easy to run in. They’re also “water resistant” and have side drain holes, but not waterproof. Jogging and running in them on wet grass and low puddles worked great. But the morning of the event it was drizzly, cold and had rained really hard days prior, making the course really wet and muddy. The rains were so bad they had flooded the creek, so the course was re-routed to avoid it. Even so, there were still deep puddles and very wet and muddy conditions throughout. My feet were miserable, and the caked on mud and soaking wet boots became heavier, making jogging/running the course that much harder.

Just thought I’d share my limited experience. Keep us updated if you find a good solution since many of us also spend a lot of time outdoors in wet and muddy terrain.

Top Bottom