Bringing the worlds ugliest AK back to life....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    From the markings it looks like a MAADI (mine has the same)? Finish was never their strong point. Mine looks pretty rough, too. I'm assuming yours has they neutered bayonet lug, as well?

One cool thing about them is that Egypt was the only country to stamp its AKs out on original Russian machinery. Many people say it's the closest thing to an original AK as most people will ever get.

Nice work! I thought it would be fun to buy a junker AK and do a gold duracoat job on it. It's the poor man's Hussein AK. It would certainly turn heads at the range (maybe not for good reasons). Most people would probably think it's "Gangsta."

mkillebrew

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    Austin
    Are you sure that's an AK? The front bits sure do look like it, but then it got confused towards the rear and thought it was an M4. It's like you ran out of time, money, and interest and just said "screw it, I don't need a proper folder or even an ACE block adapter" and slapped on the most horrid stock you could possibly put on an AK.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Are you sure that's an AK? The front bits sure do look like it, but then it got confused towards the rear and thought it was an M4. It's like you ran out of time, money, and interest and just said "screw it, I don't need a proper folder or even an ACE block adapter" and slapped on the most horrid stock you could possibly put on an AK.
    this is a gun I intend to actually shoot. therefore I put a stock on it that is comfy. AKs with folding stock suck donkey parts. They are horid IMO. that stock is a bit longer and fits my taller frame better than the teeny tiny AK furniture that many offer.

I am sad that you dont approve.

Wait...no I'm not. I like the way it looks.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    4695583925_bda6df5a7b_m.jpg

Just kidding. If someone wants to customize a gun for to their own liking, I'm all for it. I have some Glocks which are so modified to fit my hand they'd either resell for a lot or not at all. To each his own.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not sure I get you??? The old stock is gone. Has a new stock and pistol grip.

OOOOOHHHhhh!

Some how i did not see that you had removed that old dragunov style stock in the updated pictures, so i thought you just sprayed it a different color, and left the old stock on it. Nice!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I was thinking of painting my AK an OD green, was just gonna use camouflage spray paint.
    That will work too.
    I figured if I am going to strip it down and have it sandblasted or soda blasted, I might as well throw the duracoat on. This one had some deep scratches which I wanted gone and not covered up.
    The spray paint method can look good too if done right. Its definately cheaper!!

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think maddis are excellant AK's for the money. What where you looking to replace the muzzle nut with and are there any plans for restoring the bayonet lug?

goodfellas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    San Antonio
    I put a regular slant brake on mine as well and didnt experiance any problems but just a heads up that some people have reported larger groups after putting a slant on. I have a more traditinal looking maadi and plan to keep it that way but i can apriciate a man making a rifle his own. If you get any slap form it you might wana put in a G2 trigger group or if you want a nice RSA adjustable trigger.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Thanks for the tips. If a had a real cherry looking Maadi I would probably leave it stock, but this one was real rough so I though it was a good candidate for a makeover.

balloo93

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Oddly enough, I did my WASR in AlumaHydeII Coyote Brown awhile back. I did the stock gas tube in coyote brown as well, but I have the ventilated guard on there now.

AK1-1.jpg

AK2-1.jpg

AK3-1.jpg

AK4-1.jpg

I had previously done my Commander as well.

Comm1-2.jpg

Top Bottom