• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    First, I have a Taurus 709 Slim. (waits for snorts and laughter to die down) Traded for it used. Went to the range yesterday. I know I did not drop a magazine at all. At one point I noticed a piece of plastic appear on the table. I looked at it and the gun, tossed it and finished the session. I don't piss around at the range I did 150 rounds, adjusted the sights, and was out in less than 1/2 hour. Upon cleaning I found the right side of the extended mag base was broken. Here is a picture.
    Just wondering if this is a one off occurrence or do these after market additions have defects? Its not a Taurus product, probably Pierce but it's not marked so I have no way to know.
    Sorry in advance but I really like this gun. Its a sweet shooter. BasePlate.jpg

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I'd contact Pearce and see if they have markings. Wouldn't hurt to contact Taurus, too, if any of theirs come with pinky-extension floorplates.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That's a Pierce magazine extender, so Taurus won't do anything for you even with their excellent customer service. You can get another one for $6.77 off Amazon, or an OEM one for $1.95 from eBay. I would recommend the latter...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Blag blah blah. An aftermarket magazine base plate breaks, and you blame the gun manufacturer?

If it was the OEM plate, Taurus would replace it for free (as they did with the PT111 mag that had a bent lip for me).

But I guess the hundreds (or even thousands) of flawless rounds I have shot through my Taurus pistols don't count...

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Blag blah blah. An aftermarket magazine base plate breaks, and you blame the gun manufacturer?

If it was the OEM plate, Taurus would replace it for free (as they did with the PT111 mag that had a bent lip for me).

But I guess the hundreds (or even thousands) of flawless rounds I have shot through my Taurus pistols don't count...

if you get a good one, I've heard they are awesome. I've had one too many that had to go back. Got sick of seeing the Fed Ex Truck at my house.
    They all got sent back, returned to me and sold.

sorry OP for pooping in your thread...

I would take the advice of getting a couple OEM plates and keep one spare.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    OP says no problem.
    My history with Taurus has been spotty at best. I want to repeat this was not the fault of Taurus. Its an aftermarket base. This happened about half way into the session. The magazine performed fine throughout. It would still be working except I like to clean the mags with the gun.
    I'm not upset or mad. I'm 60 and this is the first time a base plate has ever broken. Used to train where we had to dump every mag on the concrete. Still never broke one. Chewed up a few old metal based S&W mags. I ordered the set of 2 from Amazon today. Kinda wondered however why one pinky grip for a Glock was almost $10 and 2 of them for a Taurus was less then $7. Sure hope there is no quality difference.
    One thought just came to me. I use a Mag Lula to load these mags. Both the flat one and the pinky base caused the magazines to lean making me apply more pressure to operate the loader and hold everything steady. Maybe I just put too much pressure on the base. As I ponder this I think the mystery of the broken base may be solved.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    If it's a Pierce, call them. They're the only people I've ever used who made Glock extended base plates that were worth a damn for a good price.

Those $2 no namers are pure shit. Had about five of them. Four wouldn't feed right, one emptied its contents onto my foot halfway through the first batch of 14 rounds. They all went in the trashcan at the range. I hope no one fished them out. Replaced them with Pierce and never had an issue since.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Sent the pic to Pearce. Received the new one from Amazon. The Pearce grip extender does not look like the old one. For one thing Pearce brands their products. So I am not surprised that they have not replied. The Pearce extender is a better made product than the original. Thicker channel walls. The fit is perfect. If I don't hear from Pearce I won't be surprised but I will cease to do anymore business with them. I'll stick to the flat OEM bases.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Coriolis308
    Top Bottom