• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Quig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2018
    Plano
    The first round is buck shot making sure you hit the target. 2nd round is slug to finish the target off. alternating these 2 in case of multiple threats.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All.

IF you have to shoot down a dark hallway or a stairway, #4 BUCK will do the job with near 100% certainty.
    (Over 85% of HOME INVASIONS are at night.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    ....but 00Buck will take the nearly out of the equation.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

seeker_two,

Imo, 00 Buck is FINE for hunting BIG GAME but EASY to miss with, given the low pellet-count.
    (For deer/predators, I prefer #1 Buck & for "house defense", #4 Buck.)

Note: During my LE career, I investigated 2 attempted murders with 12 gauge shotguns/00 Buck. = BOTH victims survived, so even 00 isn't a SURE KILL..
    Fwiw, I've met a few professional hunters, who for "TURNING" WOUNDED/DANGEROUS GAME, prefer a 10 gauge DB shotgun with 3.5" shells & 000 Buck.
    (Harry Selby, who was arguably the most famous modern professional hunter, was never known to be without a SXS MATADOR in 10 gauge magnum, with buckshot, IF the job was taking out wounded BIG game in Africa. - His shotgun is "on long-term loan" to the NRA Museum.)

yours, satx

Quig

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2018
    Plano
    I should have been more descriptive on my original post. For the buckshot I would use #4 with a turkey choke and a 3.5 shell

a full or extra full should do the trick as well even in the 2 3/4 and 3 inch

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Quig,

IF I had to go into the thick stuff after a wounded Cape Buffalo, lion, tiger or leopard, as Selby did all too many times (His gunbearer peeled a wounded lion off of him, just before the lion removed Selby's face with nothing more than a simi.) my CHOICE would be an Ithaca ROADBLOCKER Police Model loaded with 000 Buck.
    (With typical British understatement, Selby later said, "It was a near thing." - Selby's "stitch count" exceeded 300.)

just my OPINION, satx

rdcott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2018
    Katy
    You don't have to choose with this -
    12gaAmmo.jpg

shooker8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Killeen area
    There good YouTube videos that look at penetration of common house materials. I'd checked it out. Both at house range will usually not spread if you are using quality buck or slugs. I go with buck for the house as I dont want my slugs going into the neighbors house

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

perfor8

God, guns, and guts
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 30, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I double dare someone to wake up out of bed at 3:30 in the morning. And immediately fire a high brass buckshot load (any size) out of a riot shotgun. I'm gonna need a video.

Set up a tent outside and fall dead sleep. You have 3 seconds to engage a target at 15 feet....timed from the second you wake up. No earlier then 2:30a.m.

I wanna see it.

Here's another way to do this. I've trained where the first exercise of the day was to partner up, blood choke each other unconscious (alternately), the purpose being to seek cover while putting rounds on target upon regaining consciousness. Some of you may be familiar with the instructor/training. I won't mention any names because he's quite controversial and it will generate effeminate emotional responses; I will say I respect the gentleman immensely. You have to be among men you respect and trust to do this. Our time to regain orientation X 4 (person, place, time, situation) is MUCH longer than 3 seconds - maybe up to 30 seconds. Orientation from sleep would be faster than from a blood choke, but grasshopperglock has a valid point. My go-to bump-in-the-night rig is a battle belt with G22, 2 extra mags, light, fixed-blade knife, and cuffs. Hanging next to the battle belt is a plate carrier and Mossberg 590 with 00 buck, but I don't remember the last time I employed either of those in the house. Anyone entering your house while you're asleep is way inside your OODA loop. You have seconds to get back inside his.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Here's another way to do this. I've trained where the first exercise of the day was to partner up, blood choke each other unconscious (alternately), the purpose being to seek cover while putting rounds on target upon regaining consciousness. Some of you may be familiar with the instructor/training. I won't mention any names because he's quite controversial and it will generate effeminate emotional responses; I will say I respect the gentleman immensely. You have to be among men you respect and trust to do this. Our time to regain orientation X 4 (person, place, time, situation) is MUCH longer than 3 seconds - maybe up to 30 seconds. Orientation from sleep would be faster than from a blood choke, but grasshopperglock has a valid point. My go-to bump-in-the-night rig is a battle belt with G22, 2 extra mags, light, fixed-blade knife, and cuffs. Hanging next to the battle belt is a plate carrier and Mossberg 590 with 00 buck, but I don't remember the last time I employed either of those in the house. Anyone entering your house while you're asleep is way inside your OODA loop. You have seconds to get back inside his.
    d8zyfy4-4f17ab7a-02ec-43f4-b5a3-0d6894f2d0bf.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• d8zyfy4-4f17ab7a-02ec-43f4-b5a3-0d6894f2d0bf.jpeg
      d8zyfy4-4f17ab7a-02ec-43f4-b5a3-0d6894f2d0bf.jpeg
      26.4 KB · Views: 614

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    #4 Buck.
    Final answer.

At bedroom range a hit is a hit and is incapacitating with any slug or buck shot.

A miss is a miss and over-penetration of your home structure takes on deadly importance to others nearby.

Agree that a 2 or 3 inch pattern is an inconsequential spread offering little in the way of increasing hit probability.

I'm recalling that a hit with #4 Buck is tantamount to 25 simultaneous hits with CCI 22lr Mini-Mag ammo and is devastating.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock

You don't have to say the name.
    We all know it's GECKO45

Top Bottom