Texas SOT

Buddy wants to buy a guns but does not know if he can.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    He pled guilty a few years back on a charge of assault. Seems he pulled a gun on a guy who was going to beat him up after a traffic encounter. Guy was charging him screaming and yelling. Anyway he thinks there is a new law that says he can't own a gun after being in a "violent encounter".

Any thoughts?
    Target Sports

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    He pled guilty a few years back on a charge of assault. Seems he pulled a gun on a guy who was going to beat him up after a traffic encounter. Guy was charging him screaming and yelling. Anyway he thinks there is a new law that says he can't own a gun after being in a "violent encounter".

Any thoughts?

According to the penal code basic Assault using threats of force is a Class C misdemeanor.

My personal opinion is that he's OK. You pretty much have to have a domestic, multiple drug offenses (DWI, etc.), or a felony to be excluded.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    According to the penal code basic Assault using threats of force is a Class C misdemeanor.

My personal opinion is that he's OK. You pretty much have to have a domestic, multiple drug offenses (DWI, etc.), or a felony to be excluded.

If the person uses or EXHIBITS a deadly weapon while committing the assault it is Aggravated Assault, a felony.

So it depends on the grade of what the person was convicted.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    He needs to go back to his attorney at the time and find out exactly what the charge was. Makes a big difference. Also get copies of all court disposition papers and hang on to them. They're going to be important at some point in his life, like maybe now.

poolingmyignorance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2011
    houston
    if he was never convicted, ( he'd know if he was, and of what) then no worries. if you have a disqualifying misdemeanor there is no harm in atempting to purchase. or even get a CHL. Just being arrested and charged isn't enough to be DQ'd in texas.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, that's definitely not just a class C, lol. I would think along the lines, depending tour DA, deadly conduct, disorderly conduct, or even terroristic threats. I've seen those play all those different ways. You friend at the VERY LEAST should be able to tell you what level his charge was. Either being issued a ticket, or A/B misdemeanor.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Thanks guys, it looks like he is confused by the law regarding domestic violence and what is simple misdemeanor violence. I don't think he's a felon trying to get around the system. Just a guy who got in a tight spot and was not properly represented by a good attorney.

He was looking to buy an NFA item and I have referd him to you Sean.

txfireguy2003

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Temple
    I'm not sure, but from what you said, sounds like he should have never pled guilty. A good lawyer could have gotten him off if the whole story is true. Guy charges you, and you feel you are in danger of death or serious bodily injury, you're justified in using deadly force. I'm betting what may have happened, is they charged him with a felony that they knew they wouldn't win, then allowed him to plea bargain down to a lesser offense (which he shouldn't have been charged with anyway). Did he do time in jail, get sentenced to "time served", pay a fine, probation?

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    but, it also depends on what put him in that situation leading up to the pulling of the weapon....the facts of the "traffic encounter." but, would definitely consult back with his original attorney if possible.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm not sure, but from what you said, sounds like he should have never pled guilty. A good lawyer could have gotten him off if the whole story is true. Guy charges you, and you feel you are in danger of death or serious bodily injury, you're justified in using deadly force.
    Negative. Your feelings are meaningless. To have the justification in chapter 9, you must REASONABLY BELIEVE DEADLY FORCE IS IMMEDIATELY NECESSARY TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE OTHERS USE OR ATTEMPTED USE OF UNLAWFUL DEADLY FORCE. A guy charging you MAY qualify, but the circumstances would have to be very much more than him screaming and running at you.
    I'm betting what may have happened, is they charged him with a felony that they knew they wouldn't win, then allowed him to plea bargain down to a lesser offense (which he shouldn't have been charged with anyway).
    I'll take that bet. How can you get that without knowing ANY facts?

Top Bottom