• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I have several questions regarding the specs of a rifle used for long range hunting
    I'm looking at the savage model 10 FCP-SR with a 20" barrel in .308

First off: how much does barrel length matter past 400 yds? Like out to 1000yds. They make this model with a 24" barrel as well

Second: scope magnification.
    Should I be looking for one that is 14-18x?

Third: caliber
    .308 v .30-06
    Is .308 any better than .30-06 at long range? I already have a .30-06 and I'm wondering if having two different caliber rifles is worth it. I'm hunting whitetail, hogs, maybe mule deer

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I love my .308 and will talk down to all these metric fanbois just to aggravate them. Also never been a fan of 30-06 although I can't say why.

That said, you need to define "long range". A .308 will not carry a lot of energy past 600 and the 30-06 is probably the better option. Inside 600 the .308 will probably due ok depending on the game you intend to hunt.

And lastly, unless you can consistently get first round hits in varying conditions on a 6" plate at the distance you intend to hunt...I don't believe you should attempt it. You also have to be able to accurately determine the distance when hunting. Just putting it out there because I don't know your skill level.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Your 30.06 will be fine for shooting those distances if you and the ammo/ rifle combo can do your part.

The only real advantage 30.06 has over 308 is case capacity, and that only helps with heavy bullets. Most people load 308 with 180 grain bullets at the most. 30.06 can handle the 220s and keep good velocity. That is just because it has more room for powder.

The 308 does seem to have a little less recoil and tends to be a little more accurate.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Honestly, if you just want a new rifle go for it.

The only people that will say you need a 308 even though you have a 30.06 are the 308 fanbois that refuse to believe there is anything else better on the market.

They really just hate the metrics because change is bad, m'kay.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Metrics have been the ammunition of communism and fascism for over a century.

Hasn't worked out too well for them.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    20" barrels seem to be the standard on 308 rifles and will get you to 1000 yards with the right ammo.

If you really plan on hunting at 400 yards then get the longer barrel. It could use the extra velocity.

The 20" is more suited to 300 yards or less.

If you really want to push the 308 to its limits then go with the longer barrel.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    6.5 Creedmoor.
    I don't own one, but I've shot a few. Quite a few rounds.
    Velocity.
    Range.
    Accuracy.
    Downrange energy.

Unless you're headed for Africa, nothing better on the market today.

I'm a few months away from owning one of these "boringly accurate" rifles. Targets or game animals, this round delivers.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    6.5 Creedmoor.
    Velocity.
    Range.
    Accuracy.
    Downrange energy.

I'm a few months away from owning one of these "boringly accurate" rifles. Targets or game animals, this round delivers.
    I agree completely.

Should guys sell their Fudd guns to get one? Their call but probably not necessary for most shooters.

But if you are buying new and not leashed to a different caliber it is definitely worth looking in to.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will say this.

I stick with my .308 because I know the rifle. I've learned what ammo it likes, how it handles wind, the feel of the trigger, etc. Switching would require starting from scratch.

If you know your rifle it's something that should be considered IMO. If you only shoot a few rounds a year before deer season it probably won't make any difference and you'll be shooting enough to build your skill that you'all have time to learn a new rifle.

Swarf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    If you already have a 30-06, it'll do what you said you want to do better than a 308... unless you just don't like the way it shoots.

OTOH, if you just want/need an excuse - in this case LR shooting - to get another rifle, then consider getting a chambering that is better suited for the purpose. The reason 6.5CM is getting all the buzz has nothing to do with the metric system, and has everything to do with its ability to load long-for-caliber bullets. I don't have a 6.5CM (yet...:laughing:) but my 6.5x55 SE CZ557 is the same way.

If you want to shoot LR, the caliber is not as important as the ability to load high-BC bullets. You can do that with your 30-06 using 220gr low drag bullets. These long pills will be seated deeper into the case neck and eat into your powder load, but 30-06 has plenty case capacity, whereas 308 would lose quite a bit. Downside is though that 220gr is gonna kick quite a bit. This is why folks gravitate toward smaller calibers like 7mm, 6.5, 6mm, etc. for high-BC shooting.

I'm not into this whole LR precision shooting craze, mostly because there isn't a lot of places around here where I need 400+yd for hunting, much less 1000. If I were, I'd load 180gr in my 7 mag. Higher BC than both 6.5 and .30.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    6.5 Creedmoor.
    Velocity.
    Range.
    Accuracy.
    Downrange energy.

I love the .264 aka 6.5 creedmoor. Much flatter and forgiving round than a 308. 6.5 creedmoor in 140 grain has great BC. and yesterday at 1000 yards I was hitting steel with ease. I will never get rid of my 308. but hot damn the 6.5 is an awesome round.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    It's just so expensive to shoot. I'd love to get a 6.5 creedmoor upper but it costs a buck a shot.
    I am guessing you don't want to know what I have spent on ammo the past two weeks prepping for a PRS competition. I am at over 1000 dollars just in ammo. I have my reloading equipment just haven't had a chance to set up so been buying hornady eld match 140 grain for the 6.5 which is a great round but I know I can load a better custom round.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I
    am guessing you don't want to know what I have spent on ammo the past two weeks prepping for a PRS competition. I am at over 1000 dollars just in ammo. I have my reloading equipment just haven't had a chance to set up so been buying hornady eld match 140 grain for the 6.5 which is a great round but I know I can load a better custom round.

If you shoot lapua or 6.5 I'm sure what you spend on ammo in a week I spend in a year. I mean I go through 3 or 4k rounds a year easy I bet you do that in a month. And I shoot cheap stuff. 22lr 9mm 5.56

EDIT... if you're ever in the Fort Worth area and wouldn't mind someone tagging along I'd love to shoot 6.5 creedmoor. I've shot 6.8 (out of a 10 inch) I'd love to see what 6.5 is like.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    If you shoot lapua or 6.5 I'm sure what you spend on ammo in a week I spend in a year. I mean I go through 3 or 4k rounds a year easy I bet you do that in a month. And I shoot cheap stuff. 22lr 9mm 5.56

EDIT... if you're ever in the Fort Worth area and wouldn't mind someone tagging along I'd love to shoot 6.5 creedmoor. I've shot 6.8 (out of a 10 inch) I'd love to see what 6.5 is like.
    My new 6.5 creedmoor I have had about 2 weeks I already have close to 1000 rounds through it already.

I have been negleting my 308, 5.56 22lr and many other cal/mm rifles just trying to be as good as I can because I have a company sponsoring me and paying my way minus my practice rounds which adds up lol I just put in an order for 400 rounds that cost me 590 hope it gets here by tuesday comp is this weekend coming up

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    My new 6.5 creedmoor I have had about 2 weeks I already have close to 1000 rounds through it already.

I have been negleting my 308, 5.56 22lr and many other cal/mm rifles just trying to be as good as I can because I have a company sponsoring me and paying my way minus my practice rounds which adds up lol I just put in an order for 400 rounds that cost me 590 hope it gets here by tuesday comp is this weekend coming up

Where is your comp I might come watch you!

Top Bottom