• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wattsdk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Spring
    I new a guy up in Nebraska about 10 years ago, he shot one with a rifle, no big thrill, shot one with a bow, fun but not enough, so he tried with a spear. BIG mistake, he was in the back of his brand new pickup truck and the speared it. The buffalo got pissed and climbed in the back of his truck with him, Jacked him and the truck up, then climbed out and went about his way. VERY expensive hunt.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I new a guy up in Nebraska about 10 years ago, he shot one with a rifle, no big thrill, shot one with a bow, fun but not enough, so he tried with a spear. BIG mistake, he was in the back of his brand new pickup truck and the speared it. The buffalo got pissed and climbed in the back of his truck with him, Jacked him and the truck up, then climbed out and went about his way. VERY expensive hunt.
    But you can't buy a story like that....

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    I know I am gonna catch shit for this so I am wearing fire proof undies.
    Stipulations:
    1) I don't hunt, never have. Never really had the opportunity on the one hand, no interest in killing Bambi on the other.
    2) I was born and raised in the Peoples Republic of Kaliforniastan so I understand that experiences are from a somewhat warped perspective on issues like hunting.

If you hunt for say pest control (ground squirels, prarie dogs, etc.) I get it and fully support it.
    If you hunt because of tradition and other social reasons, I get it and fully support it.
    If you hunt to stock your freezer to feed legitimately feed your family, you would find me in support of lessening current rules and legislation.
    The 2nd one with the Africans...I totally get too.

But the first one I don't get. I mean, there's a lot that wasn't shown between him throwing the spear and the animal lying dead at his feet. And by using a spear instead of a more effective killing method, what was gained? Some adrenalin? At what expense? It just seems unnecessarily cruel to use such a primitive method when there are so many more effective ones. I mean, why not insist your doctor do your appendectomy with with some flint cutting tools from the same era?

Flame away.

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    I see your point Rum my issue is that is totally unsafe what if he got gored or worse some jackass is bound to try this and could get potentially killed my only hope is that this was a short clip of the full episode where the risks of the hunt was fully explained

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I know I am gonna catch shit for this so I am wearing fire proof undies.
    Stipulations:
    1) I don't hunt, never have. Never really had the opportunity on the one hand, no interest in killing Bambi on the other.
    2) I was born and raised in the Peoples Republic of Kaliforniastan so I understand that experiences are from a somewhat warped perspective on issues like hunting.

If you hunt for say pest control (ground squirels, prarie dogs, etc.) I get it and fully support it.
    If you hunt because of tradition and other social reasons, I get it and fully support it.
    If you hunt to stock your freezer to feed legitimately feed your family, you would find me in support of lessening current rules and legislation.
    The 2nd one with the Africans...I totally get too.

But the first one I don't get. I mean, there's a lot that wasn't shown between him throwing the spear and the animal lying dead at his feet. And by using a spear instead of a more effective killing method, what was gained? Some adrenalin? At what expense? It just seems unnecessarily cruel to use such a primitive method when there are so many more effective ones. I mean, why not insist your doctor do your appendectomy with with some flint cutting tools from the same era?

Flame away.

as far as killing bambi goes, this is jsut silly. anthropomorphism at it's peak.

animals aren't people, people are in charge of animals, if you are hunting to feed your family or even just yourself, who cares how you do it? if you want to use a spear, a rifle, a pocket knife and some brass knuckles? who cares.

to me the idea of hunting with primitive tools is mostly a novelty, but it would come in handy having those skills in a survival situation. so i am all for practicing killing stuff with a pointed stick a slingshot, a knife or whatever. good practice, and sure looks like a lot of fun!

and no, i wouldn't want to get an appendectomy with a sharp rock heateed over a campfire, BUT, i wouldn't mind shooting, stabbing or bludgeoning some goats or something to practice emergency gunshot / knife wound first aide etc. or minor surgery (removal of a bullet). because in a survival situation those skills would be priceless. and ofcourse it is hard for average joes to elarn this stuff as cadavours are hard to come by ;) goats on the other hand...

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I wanna hunt buffalo with a howitzer.

modern-howitzer.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics