Build an AK 47??

Sarge

Dec 11, 2008
Has anyone built an AK from the parts kits?
I am a good mechanic and have lots of good tools, but not a gunsmith.
How hard is this to do?
Thanks, Sarge

accordingtoome

Oct 13, 2008
I have a unfired romanian G kit already demilled and ready for a reciever. All the hard stuff is done. I also have all the US parts to make it nice and legal. Selling for 400.00.

I bought it from somone on the board and im a freaking retard when it comes to tools.

nalioth

Oct 13, 2008
Houston Metro
If you are a mechanic, you're easily able to build a Kalashnikov from a kit.

Find a build party near you and go watch. You'll figure it out.

Sad part is: It's no longer financially exciting to build an AK from a kit.

seattleducati

Sep 24, 2008
Austin
And not to bash anyone, but I wouldn't pay $400 for a kit! Nalioth has it right, I have my builds done and have two left to build and I never paid more than $100 for a Romy kit.

The other problems you'll run into, besides gouging, are...if you plan on building your own receivers you'll need a jig and they're spendy, or get a nodak spud receiver (which are slightly spendy) and then pay the FFL transfer fee. Rivet jigs are also spendy and therefore the only way to justify buying them is to build en mass. So I don't doubt your mechanical skills but you've pretty much missed the boat.

Leper

Sep 28, 2008
If you buy a flat $20-$30, the bending jig +/-$300 and a couple other special tools $150 then you are able to make your own. Parts kits are around $300 or more now. It is not too hard to build one, but it is not like an AR by any means.

Ride4TheBrand

Mar 3, 2009
The Lone Star State
And not to bash anyone, but I wouldn't pay $400 for a kit! Nalioth has it right, I have my builds done and have two left to build and I never paid more than $100 for a Romy kit.

Not bashing here either, but under $100 for Romy kits are a thing of the distant past. The current market is at least $350. They are not as available as they used to be since no more are being imported like the good old days.

All matching numbers fetch a premium.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
It's not that hard. I think you can get a run-down on what you need to do it and a how-to at akbuilder.com

I wouldn't do a screw build. Rivets only (except for the trigger guard - screws are fine there)!

If you buy a flat $20-$30, the bending jig +/-$300 and a couple other special tools $150 then you are able to make your own. Parts kits are around $300 or more now. It is not too hard to build one, but it is not like an AR by any means.

Don't bother building a flat; as you noted, it's the more expensive way. It's also harder, and you'll wind up with an inferior product.

It's hard to even consider a flat build, IMO, when an NDS-3 is $55 shipped.

1Andy2

Apr 28, 2008
Beeville
Not bashing here either, but under $100 for Romy kits are a thing of the distant past. The current market is at least $350. They are not as available as they used to be since no more are being imported like the good old days.

All matching numbers fetch a premium.

Glad I got a couple of the "rusty" kits from DPH awhile back. That was right when the prices started to rise much about $120 and I got them both for $60 apiece.

There's alot of good info on pookieweb or gunsgutsandgod on how to build an AK from a kit.

If you're just doing one, don't bend the flat yourself. It'd be much cheaper just to buy a complete receiver from Nodak Spud. Also easier. After you bend the flat, you still have to heat treat the lower rails, rivet or weld them on to the reciever, install the cross-piece, and heat treat the reciever itself. Or at least some of the FCG and trunnion holes.

Build your own rivet crusher out of a bolt cutter for the short rivets.

Build a rivet jig for the long rear trunion rivets and another for the trigger guard rivets and simply crush them on in a press.

Hotrod

Feb 5, 2009
Where you at Sarge? I'll be doin a complete build on a AMD-65 over the week of Easter down in Houston from folding and welding your own reciever to riveting and and pressing the barrel in and refinishing the exterior

Top Bottom