• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    A month or 2 ago i traded my HEAVY AR10 upper to another member here with plans on building a new upper that would be useable for more than bench shooting

I think the barrel on my old upper was heavier than my whole rifle as it's currently built.

New upper is an
    Aero reciever
    Faxon 16" gunner barrel in 308 win.
    Aero adjustable gas block
    Hogue knurled handguard

All reasonably light components.

Lower is my original sun devil reciever with ace skeleton stock and Geissele 3gun trigger.

I'm working overtime on weekends for the next few weeks so OP is going to be a slacker with the range report.

How does she look?
    IMG_20220412_195903245.jpg
    IMG_20220412_195405903.jpg
    IMG_20220412_195410312.jpg
    IMG_20220412_195414061.jpg

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk
    Guns International

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    I should add, the scope is probably not going to stay. It's a 10+ yr old falcon menace. I'll probably find something with 1-6 or 1-8 power

And the brake on the end is hand tight just to protect the threads. I'll be shooting suppressed most of the time.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I just went the opposite way with mine... I had a 16" DPMS Oracle that I had put maybe 150 rounds through... I decided I wanted it to be more of a longer range kind of thing. I doubt seriously that I will be doing much CQB stuff, and if I have to, I'd much rather have one of the AR-15s....
    This one is going to be my do-nearly-everything rifle.
    I put a 20" barrel, free float handguard and adjustable gas block on it. Mounted a 1.5-4X Leupold scope, and am ready to go to the range to try it out.

Whole thing (unloaded) weighs just under 10 lbs.... definitely do-able...

here it is.... leaning up against the garage doorjamb... I turned it sideways so it's easier to "see"...

AR10 20.jpg

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    What did you find as the best/worst in your experience?
    The most effective and yet still loud has been Ultradyne, LANTAC and SI (j-comp). There was another discontinued comp 30cal rated I use on a 338LM. It cost about $45 and weighs 2#. I've tested about 20 different styles and manufacturers with barrel lengths from 12.5 - 26". Guns weight range from 5.5# - 15#. There is still 4 or 5 more to test and all having 5/8x24tpi with up to 30cal rating.

alouisf02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2021
    Tomball
    Nice. Get some decent glass. I was using an NF SHV and I liked it, but going for more next time. I just got a vudu 5-25 for another gun, so hopefully I like that and will get one for my .308 also.

Congrats on the future retirement! ha

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Nice. Get some decent glass. I was using an NF SHV and I liked it, but going for more next time. I just got a vudu 5-25 for another gun, so hopefully I like that and will get one for my .308 also.

Congrats on the future retirement! ha
    Need help with the glass I'm. Saving up and planning on between 2-3k. For glass

alouisf02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2021
    Tomball
    Ya glass can be tough if you're not experienced with it, like myself. I ended up taking a precision rifle class and really started to understand what was what and that helped when deciding what I wanted for glass the next go around.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    How far are you wanting to reach? I've got steel at about 900 yards with my 20" and 175gmm.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk
    What twist is your 20? My new one is a 1-10.... I hope I can shoot up to 170's or so in weight. 180's would be fun to play with.... might make a good close elk load...

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Walther used to make great barrels.... I imagine they still do.
    I'm not sure who made mine.... I got it at the gun show ..... I'll email the folks and see who made it. They said it was guaranteed 1/2 MOA under good conditions/shooters with match ammo, so it likely is from a reputable company...
    I'm not a 1/2 MOA shooter.... if this one shoots anywhere near MOA I'll be tickled.

alouisf02

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2021
    Tomball
    Walther used to make great barrels.... I imagine they still do.
    I'm not sure who made mine.... I got it at the gun show ..... I'll email the folks and see who made it. They said it was guaranteed 1/2 MOA under good conditions/shooters with match ammo, so it likely is from a reputable company...
    I'm not a 1/2 MOA shooter.... if this one shoots anywhere near MOA I'll be tickled.
    Man I've probably had mine almost 12 years now. The build was a wild one and seen a few iterations, now in it's 3rd go being rebuilt. I'm a decent shot, but no 1/2 moa shooter haha.

Sent from my LM-G900 using Tapatalk

RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    The most effective and yet still loud has been Ultradyne, LANTAC and SI (j-comp). There was another discontinued comp 30cal rated I use on a 338LM. It cost about $45 and weighs 2#. I've tested about 20 different styles and manufacturers with barrel lengths from 12.5 - 26". Guns weight range from 5.5# - 15#. There is still 4 or 5 more to test and all having 5/8x24tpi with up to 30cal rating.
    Thanks! Also found Ultradyne effective, and produced the maximum level of displeasure from folks on adjacent lanes (grin). Tried the Pegasus (tanker style) and then the Apollo Max on a .308W RPR with good results. Eventually swapped for Surefire SOCOM for less, but adequate recoil mitigation, and easy suppressor attachment. Still loud, but less brutal on shooting buddies :)

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Worst comp (loudness to shooters near by) I've used for my AR is Benny Hill's "rolling thunder". It is an awesome comp. Helps keep things flat

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom