• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    So I just got a cmmg kit for my ar15 and my 1911 is having a 22 slide put on it currently so I'm looking at finding 22 ammo in large quantities that can cycle these? OBvoiusly I need to try the ammo before making a large scale bulk purchase but I'm looking at 5-15k rds for some good practice over the next 5 months. Suggestions? I'm in the Houston area if local purchasing like that is posssible.

Either way some brand suggestions would be helpful as well as places for potential purchases/people that could order it for me.
    Hurley's Gold

Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington
    I agree and I'll probably go grab one box like that, but afterwords if I like it can I buy it in real bulk like 30 of those boxes?

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Try Dunn's Sporting Goods - but order by the brick, not by the case (it's five bucks cheaper than the case price); I've used Dunn's they're good to go. I haven't tried or looked closely at SGAmmo but I've been told they're ok on .22 pricing too. And of course if you can catch Weapons World with .22 on sale or Palmetto Sate Armory - they frequentyly have decent pricing (just watch the shipping charges on the last one).

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    +1 on the Cabela's thing too.
    I've done that a couple of times and when they have the Federal bulk on sale (& offer the Dry Box), it makes for a good deal. Looks like they run that deal at least two or three times a year (the 2100 rds of Federal w/Dry Box for around 70 bucks).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'd like to see how winchesters "555" bulk ammo groups vs. the federal bulk packs of 550. I know the federal rounds are 36 grain plated hp's. I'm not sure what the standard 555 weight/tip is ?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Go to walmart/Academy and pick up a brick of each of the big bulk packs. See which one your gun likes before commititng to large purchase. I like the federal bulk a lot more than Winchester,

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Remington bulk packs seem to have a higher percentage of misfires than others I have tried. If you strike them on a different spot they usually fire, but it is a PITA. Just saying......

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin

Interesting...I know it's only pennies per round, but that's almost double what I paid for the Federals. Now, I'm just punching holes in paper, so I'm not too picky as to grain, etc....as long as it cycles well and goes bang when I pull the trigger.

Mayhaps, Cabela's will put this one on sale. The Federals would have been ~ $28 for this amount.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Not all .22 ammo will cycle the conversion kits. CCI minimags have always worked for me. The others are still above 90% though.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Not all .22 ammo will cycle the conversion kits. CCI minimags have always worked for me. The others are still above 90% though.
    That's what I thought when I purchased a variety of 22lr for my SIG 229. The MiniMags and one other high-velocity CCI ammo type had all sorts of problems...even loose bullets. Nearly everyone said(and I thought) that CCI would be the best 'standard, off the shelf' 22lr; but I'm having near 100% success with the Federal bulk from Cabela's. Even passed a couple dozen to the lane next to me where a guy was having MANY failures using some Remington from a plastic box('sounded' like lower velocity).

Sure is fun to shoot and shoot and shoot and still spend less than six to eight bucks on ammo!

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Federal is flawless in my semi-auto. Remington is real spotty. Haven't tried the 555.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    IMHO:

Federal Bulk Packs (36 grain Copper Washed) cycle every .22LR auto (pistol or rifle) I own.

Remington Golden Bullets are the ONLY Remmies I'll shoot.

The ONLY Winchester ammo I shoot is the "Dynapoint." Hard to find, but by far the most accurate .22LR round I have found in a bulk pack.

CCI makes good ammo, but you will mostly find it in 50 or 100-round boxes.

When you see those listed above at Wal-Mart, Buy it! NO-ONE sells for less.

Stay far, far away from the others.

Be well.

hardcase60

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Central Texas
    "+1 on the Cabela's thing too.
    I've done that a couple of times and when they have the Federal bulk on sale (& offer the Dry Box), it makes for a good deal. Looks like they run that deal at least two or three times a year (the 2100 rds of Federal w/Dry Box for around 70 bucks)."

This sale is currently running. The $0.03 cents per round plus the dry box is a good deal.

Top Bottom