• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chitty777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    United States
    Hey everyone.

I want to see if there is an interest to go in on a bulk purchase for reloading components. I'm primarily concerned with building .223. I believe by buying the powder, primers and bullets in bulk and splitting the hazmat fee will be good for all parties.

If this has already been tried or if it's not a good idea, I am open to recommendations/other options.

thanks

Andy
    Capitol Armory ad

mikeofcontex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Midlothian, TX
    The hazmat fee only applies to the powder and it is good to buy all you can for one fee. I haven't found "great" pricing for quantities over 500 or 1000 and that's not so much that I can't use it all myself.

I've decided to buy my powder locally and allow the business to recoup it's hazmat fee and make a little profit. It's not as easy as shopping in my underwear, but it works.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    From what I've heard & seen group buys typically don't end well. Maybe if you know 1 or 2 other reloaders well it could be ok, but rando's from the internet is a bit risky. But like Mike said I buy locally but did bulk up at the HCGA show in Houston last weekend, the Saxet may be worth a look for supplies.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Group buys only work when all the participants are members of a close-knit group of re-loaders, that they live in close proximity to each other, and put money in the kitty before the order is placed.

Otherwise, it is far less expensive to pay local prices for primers, powder, brass, and projectiles.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Group buys only work when all the participants are members of a close-knit group of re-loaders, that they live in close proximity to each other, and put money in the kitty before the order is placed.

Otherwise, it is far less expensive to pay local prices for primers, powder, brass, and projectiles.

I think this depends a lot upon your location. I get primers online for half price and powder is usually 5-10 bucks cheaper/lb. Bullets also run about half price from precision delta over local purchase. I don't think I would save more than a few dollars in a group buy though because I order enough to make shipping and hasmat fees negligible.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Went to local reloading supplier today. They wanted $38 for 1000 small pistol primers. Ordered from Powder Valley. Have 10,000 coming in for just over $300.

Also local guy was limiting you to 1000 per purchase.

Tapatalk sent it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Doin better than me, LGS wants $50/1000 for CCI 500, when they have them. Don't think they have any powder under $20/lb

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    That's just wrong. No need to rape your clients. Obviously, some are willing to pay or they would drop their prices.

Tapatalk sent it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Them's good prices.
    Grab em while you can. My local shop has a flier on their front door..."due to the recent shortage of SPP, you are limited to 1000 at a time"
    Blaming it on DHS's order for 350million hollow points...

chitty777

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    United States
    Well, thanks for the help and information on this. I agree that group buys are kind of a beast to work with and will keep it to a small group. Time to support the local shops.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I participated in some group buys that worked very well. We were all friends and that made it a fun and profitable venture. I would not chip in with a group of folks that I didn't know and would rather pay the hazmat fee for a single order.

I'm paying $30/1k for primers from a lady that I've been buying from for years. IMR4895 was $24/pound because I couldn't get an 8 pound keg. I paid the per pound price.

I don't worry a lot about the price as I just load for personal enjoyment and to fine tune loads. I don't run it like a business. If the price is reasonable and the seller is reliable, I'll buy.

Flash

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I have a site we can get wc844( same powder the military uses in their 5.56 and you use h355 reload data) for $85 for 8lbs. We need to buy 4 jugs to skip hazmat fees.. but shipping is $44.00.. If we get 4 austinites in we do 85+11 for shipping for 8lbs of powder.. this will do at 25grns per rounds.. about 2000 rounds of .223 with some screw ups and spills involved..

Who is in?

We meet up, make the order at a web cafe on my card, exchange cash, and in exchange I will let you know where I live.. I have 40 positive seller reviews on ar15.. I just bounced 1000 rounds out of my dillon last week at cabelas reloading prices and I am not willing to do it again.

FYI the same site has 62grn FMJ m855 projectiles (pulled) without marks for $70 per 1k. I have found with 4 people involved we can do $140 per 1k mil spec copy reloads.. (not including your cost for brass).. I don't include brass because you don't have to have 1000 cases to load 1000 rounds.. Do it in lots of 100, or 200, and you can keep your costs down, and shoot the same stuff a few times.

If anyone is serious about this please email me.

Brojon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I think this depends a lot upon your location. I get primers online for half price and powder is usually 5-10 bucks cheaper/lb. Bullets also run about half price from precision delta over local purchase. I don't think I would save more than a few dollars in a group buy though because I order enough to make shipping and hasmat fees negligible.
    I'd like to know where you get your primers if you don't mind. As far as powder - I'm with the rest of the guys - seems cheaper to get it local. Jacketed bullets the shipping eats your shorts and honestly McBrides has about the same as most online prices I've found. Cast bullets I get from Dardas and he's a smart cookie - he (ab)uses the postal service flat fee boxes so I can get 1,000 240 grain cast bullets shipped for about $11. I wish the rest of the online vendors were that smart - a box of 100 Hornady bullets would fit in a $4.95 flat rate box.
    Just my 2 cents...

Top Bottom