• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    I was at Academy on Friday evening and got a kick out of a guy shopping for ammo. I almost said something to him, but chose not to. He was with his wife and young daughter. He was looking at the different boxes of ammo and explained to them the 165 grain had 165 grains of gunpowder and the 180 grain had 180 grains, so would have more kick.

I didn't want to embarrass him, but wanted him to understand that it was the weight of the bullet in the cartridge, not the amount of gunpowder. But I kept my mouth closed. What would you have done? Now that I have some TGT cards, I would have probably handed him a card, told him about the group and hoped he showed up. Prior to joining this group and several others, I wouldn't have known either.
    Texas SOT

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Probably should have told him regarding the bullet weight, just so he would know. Lots of "non" gun folks just don't have the knowledge. But you have to choose carefully what you say so as not to offend. He'll eventually figure it out though.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I would have done same as you, walk away. If an uninformed guy wants to pass bad info on to a wife and child who likely will never need or remember what he said, that's OK. If a salesman or dude buying a can of powder said that? I'd be obligated to correct them as diplomaticaly as possible.

kris lee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    I would have done same as you, walk away. If an uninformed guy wants to pass bad info on to a wife and child who likely will never need or remember what he said, that's OK. If a salesman or dude buying a can of powder said that? I'd be obligated to correct them as diplomaticaly as possible.

+1

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I heard a guy tell his girlfriend that hollowpoints had the inside of the bullet hollowed out so that they wouldn't kill someone or something, just embed in the skin like shrapnel. I chuckled a bit and just said, "thats not true". He shrugged and she smiled a bit and they both walked away. If I could go back I would have liked to have come up with a better way to explain things correctly without being a jerk.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I heard a guy tell his girlfriend that hollowpoints had the inside of the bullet hollowed out so that they wouldn't kill someone or something, just embed in the skin like shrapnel. I chuckled a bit and just said, "thats not true". He shrugged and she smiled a bit and they both walked away. If I could go back I would have liked to have come up with a better way to explain things correctly without being a jerk.

Unsolicited information is a tough sell, no matter how you word it. Sometimes you gotta try though.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Happens all the time. Usually I smugly keep my stupid trap shut.

Other times, I might have muttered something like ..., "well, Sir, the angle of the dangle is equivalent to square of the hair plus three clicks in elevation, and when in doubt, Fire for Effect!"

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    Sorry it took me so long to add to this thread. I just finished using the vacuum to clean up the 180 grains of Unique I tried to put in a case a whole ago......

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    ^^^ This

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have corrected the academy "experts" because I think someone buying a gun deserves correct information. I think you made the right choice considering his wife and daughter were there, finding the right way to say something would not have been easy in that situation.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    OHBOY! Another Academy story...

I went to the Academy here in town (San Marcos) the other day, because I noticed they had Speer Gold Dots on their website, and I wanted to see what kind of prices they had in their store.
    I looked for a bit, and didn't see any. So I asked the guy behind the counter "I noticed you don't have any Speer Gold Dot out here. Do you have it behind the counter, or do you not carry it in this store?"
    He looked slightly puzzled, and replied "We have Speer ammo, but I don't think I've seen Gold Dot."
    Followed by "Is that just brass ammo or something?"

I stared at him like he had grown a second head for a few uncomfortable seconds before one of his coworkers came in and said "They're hollowpoints. No sir, we don't have any Gold Dot"

I looked at him, looked at ol' "clueless", said Thank you and spun around and walked right back outta there.

If it was some new exotic kinda ammo or something, I would have understood. But the Gold Dot has been out for nearly twenty years that I know of...

Top Bottom