• ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Re: Buying a firearm arm in TX

Mortgage papers, utility bills and school registrations DO prove residency if they're current.

Maybe they don't prove residency for the purposes of getting a CHL or something governmental like that, but I'm talking about buying guns.
    people that live out of state can have a Texas mortgage and Texas utilities and not be a resident here.
    Hurley's Gold

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

So as long as i have a TXDL im GTG? Ive been reading around that with long guns it doesnt matter where my residency is, but handguns must be a TX resident.

Since you are from CA, you cannot buy rifles/shotguns in TX as a nonresident. Some other states can.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro

Not if they are not government issued.
    Whatever you say.

If a buyer comes to me with his current college credentials (you know, the ones that show he's taking a course at UofH) or his kid's school enrollment papers and says he's living here and waiting on his DL, I'm gonna take him at his word.

I go by the law of the state and Federal government, not imaginative and highly restrictive "laws" that some people make up in their heads.

Oh yeah, last time I looked, primary schools were run by the government.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

Whatever you say.

If a buyer comes to me with his current college credentials (you know, the ones that show he's taking a course at UofH) or his kid's enrollment papers and says he's living here and waiting on his DL, I'm gonna take him at his word.

I go by the law of the state and Federal government, not imaginative and highly restrictive "laws" that some people make up in their heads.

Ill be coming to see you, as long as you accept TSU papers along with UofH : )

Im going to be applying for my TX drivers licence reguardless, and getting my residency. Tuition is about 1/3 of out of state, and Ill be in TX for at least 2-3 years either way.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Whatever you say.

If a buyer comes to me with his current college credentials (you know, the ones that show he's taking a course at UofH) or his kid's school enrollment papers and says he's living here and waiting on his DL, I'm gonna take him at his word.

Sorry, but I did not make it up. It is printed on the 4473. You should read it sometime. Note it uses the phrase "government issued" TEN times.

Form4473-ID.gif

So sure, if your mortgage, electric bill, or school id is govt issued, you are GTG. Most are not.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro

Sorry, but I did not make it up. It is printed on the 4473. You should read it sometime. Note it uses the phrase "government issued" TEN times.

IMAGE REMOVED

So sure, if your mortgage, electric bill, or school id is govt issued, you are GTG. Most are not.
    . . but

. . but

I'm not a gun dealer :D

Those papers are valid with me :)

. . . and let me ask you this:

What if zfields hits the lottery and decides to live in California a month at a time and Texas every other month?

He'd be a resident of both states, but what if he declines to get a TDL?

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

. . . and let me ask you this:

What if zfields hits the lottery and decides to live in California a month at a time and Texas every other month?

He'd be a resident of both states, but what if he declines to get a TDL?

It is right there in the instructions 20.B, He shows me his CA/DL which establishes who he is, then he shows me another Govt issued ID such as tax document which shows his residence in TX, and his GTG.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

Makes getting my residency for tuition impossible.......its worth saving a few thousand.

Hell, Ill probly stay in TX either way. Im pretty sick of CA.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

i believe that if you are only here as a student you can keep your CA license....I think.
    And your vehicle registered in CA also. That goes for military also. It is some kind of necessary temporary resident thing.

I had that trouble going to school in MN with TX plates and DL, but the cops couldn't ever write me a ticket. A couple of times they called it in and then just left without a word.

medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico

Here's some factual information for you. I base this on my own experience. I have homes in both Texas and another state. I have a Texas DL and CHL. I also have another state's CHL.

OK, residency. As noted on the 4473, you may buy a firearm only in the state in which you reside. There is no minimum time requirement for residency. If I go to state #2 I can buy a firearm there as soon as I arrrive there. It is the fact that I have a residence there, and I reside there when I am in that state. I reside in Texas when I am here. Simple.

Now, in order to prove residency in Texas, I have my DL and CHL. To prove residency in state #2, I have a home mortgage, a vehicle registered there (this satisfies the government-issued document showing my address), and utility bills there. I use these documents to establish residency there. In 7 years I have had exactly one dealer insist I could not buy a firearm without a DL from that state, but I asked him to call the ATF office in that state. They confirmed to his satisfaction that if I indeed resided in that state and had the listed documents I was OK to purchase there. He sold to me then.

So, if the OP is going to go to school here, he really should get a Texas DL and establish residency ASAP. As I recall, there is something like a 1 year requirement of residency before attending school in order to get in-state tuition rates. A cavaet here: It's been 45 plus years since I attended graduate school here so this may have changed since then. Maybe if he were an illegal-- make that UNDOCUMENTED-- he could get in-state rates...I might suggest that he get a DL issued here using any address he can obtain, in advance of the actual move here. Check into this.

In short, you simply have to have the intention of being a resident whenever you are in another state. In the ATF FAQ pages, they state that simply owning property in another state does not make you a resident. Renting gives the same right. You actually have to live there but that there is no minimum time required.

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

Thank you Medal.

I plan on establishing residency in TX, Just was trying to see how soon I could get some new toys. Im going to start the DL / car registration when I fly down in a couple weeks, and will be moving in early july.

As for tuition, 1 year still applies, but there is some waviers you can get, not sure what all is involved though.

high_lander

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Denton County, TX

As a former CA resident, get your TX DL, it not that hard and can be done in one day if you have all your docs AND you need to also register your car in TX as well (that's what the DPS lady told me). Make sure you have your CA DL, birth certficate, and SS card and car reg. You can also use a valid US passport. I got my passport renewed at our local PO. I also had to go get a certified abstract at the local SS office as well. Once I had all my docs it was cake. The would not take my old passport, or my birth cert. abstract. I believe you also have be a resident for at least 6 months to get your TX CHL, (I may be wrong there) but I am using either my UT or NV permits for carry purposes.

BTW are you another CA refugee from CalGuns?

zfields

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    San Marcos, TX

Yeap I am.

As a former CA resident, get your TX DL, it not that hard and can be done in one day if you have all your docs AND you need to also register your car in TX as well (that's what the DPS lady told me). Make sure you have your CA DL, birth certficate, and SS card and car reg. You can also use a valid US passport. I got my passport renewed at our local PO. I also had to go get a certified abstract at the local SS office as well. Once I had all my docs it was cake. The would not take my old passport, or my birth cert. abstract. I believe you also have be a resident for at least 6 months to get your TX CHL, (I may be wrong there) but I am using either my UT or NV permits for carry purposes.

BTW are you another CA refugee from CalGuns?

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx

I moved from Santa Clarita, CA to San Antonio, TX just shy of 2 years ago. i miss a CA for quite a few reasons, primarily due to friends and weather and the god awful drivers here that have their heads so far up their..... nevermind. but when it comes to gun laws, GOD BLESS TEXAS!

In CA the DMV does 2 things, residency and vehicle registration. here that is 2 different places. Once i got those finished, it took about 2 weeks to get a hardcopy Drivers LIcense and that night i went and bought a Springfield XDm.

so if you hustle, you will have to wait about 2 weeks to get a gun. Now, i may or may not have bought a gun private party the first week here because i was so eager :)

Texas Bulldog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx

Me too!

Was a cal Gunner (still visit to keep tabs on whats going on). I worked at Oak tree gun club in Newhall, Ca.

Ya know, i just thought of another thing i missed about CA. BLM Land! Here in TX everything is privately owned and you have to stick to the ranges unles you have the hookup which i don't.

There was nothing better than going to the desert and just shooting targets at my own free will. Here its all structured at a range and IMO the ranges in San Antonio SUCK.

Top Bottom