• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shane77624

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    As I sit here at 3:15 in the morning my mind begins to wander and I cam up with this question. What are the different requirements for buying a handgun and obtaining a CHL (asside from the classes)?

If you can legally purchase a handgun would you qualify for a CHL? OR.....If you have a CHL do you automatically qualify to purchase a handgun?
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Near Rio Vista, Texas
    The background check which is done when one applies for a Concealed Handgun License is much more thorough than the phone call a dealer makes at the time of a handgun purchase. Therefore, you might legally be able to buy a handgun, but would not necessarily pass the CHL background check.

Once one obtains a CHL, the phone call by a dealer is no longer required when one purchases a handgun. As long as one obeys the law, and keeps his/her license up-to-date, all that's required for you to buy a handgun is the money.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Misdemeaners can keep you from gettting a CHL for a time. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    Once one obtains a CHL, the phone call by a dealer is no longer required when one purchases a handgun. As long as one obeys the law, and keeps his/her license up-to-date, all that's required for you to buy a handgun is the money.

That's a really nice convenience factor. Makes waiting on that phone call a thing of the past.

Joat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Kenefick, TX
    Also add to the fact that if you owe the State of Texas any money (i.e. business taxes, child support, etc.) you will not get a CHL.

joat

Top Bottom