• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Has anybody been following the story about Byron Williams going off hunting the ACLU and some group called the Tides Foundation based on Glenn Beck's ranting?

I first heard about it when I followed a link from an article about some stuff that Limbaugh was saying that redirected me to the link below.

Eric Boehlert: Glenn Beck's Incendiary Angst Is Dangerously Close to Having a Body Count

But it sounded like it had a severe progressive liberal bias to the way the article was written (I looked up Eric Boehlert on wikipedia... used to write for 'Salon' and 'Rolling Stone') so I wanted to find something that just had some of the facts printed in it and I found this:

Cop Firefight Suspect Byron Williams Was Hunting Glenn Beck Foes

The man charged with firing on Oakland cops in a highway shootout was on a rampage against liberals and hunting down Glenn Beck enemies. Unemployed carpenter Byron Williams was after the ACLU and the Tides Foundation, a particular favorite villain of Glenn Beck, who has repeatedly lambasted the organization as part of President Obama's "liberal cabal." Williams opened fire on cops earlier this week while on his way to "start a revolution" because he was upset about Congress' "left-wing agenda," according to his mom.

It's too early to know if Beck's attacks were the inspiration for Williams, but the relatively obscure Tides Foundation isn't likely viewed as much of an enemy beyond Glenn Beck's fan base. The group, which describes itself as a promoter of economic justice, robust democracy and a healthy environment, has been ripped repeatedly by Beck as an "army of thugs" behind Obama's agenda, and the "nasty of the nastiest," reports Talking Points Memo.

I've been saying that it's only a matter of time before Glenn Beck's inflamatory ranting drives someone to commit an act of violence and I'm sad that it has come to this.

Capitol Armory ad

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    That's ok, Jodie Foster being in movies drove John Hinkley to shoot a president...

Beck didn't have ny more to do with this than Jody Foster. Some people are just wack jobs and are going to do what they are going to do.

You may not AGREE with Beck, but then maybe you haven't looked at the Tide Foundation closely for yourself...He may get wound a little tight some time, but what he says is right on, and backed up with facts.

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Yeah, theres Hinkley. Crazies will be crazy, you're right. ;)

No, I haven't looked at the Tide Foundation. Never heard of them until this artilce and by the sound of it they wouldn't be worth my time anyway. A fair amount of the things he says aren't backed up by facts, WT. There are several websites out there that are devoted to researching the things that he says and report their fact-finding. Though a lot of it, I'll admit, is fairly good information... though I still think his chalkboard is kinda fruity and/or campy.

I don't think Glenn Beck is directly responsible for this but he KNOWS his demographic -- pissed off conservatives -- and I think it's irresponsible on his part to carry on the way he does getting people fired up because there ARE people out there like this Byron Williams guy who are mad at the government and think they are going to start some kind of a revolution.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    I think you miss his demographic as well...it's unhappy AMERICANS, not just on the conservative side. And if you look at most of the websites that are devoted to researching the things he says, you'll find they are run by progressive liberal groups, or have VERY close ties TO said groups, who have a stake in trying to discredit him.

Do I think he can get a little over the top?...yep, he can...I alsoo think that he loves this country and has brought a lot of things to light that people may never have heard about otherwise...like the Tide Foundation. You really SHOULD look at it, because it is writing laws and policies these days that congress is passing....

TexasR.N.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Rampart
    I've been saying that it's only a matter of time before Glenn Beck's inflamatory ranting drives someone to commit an act of violence and I'm sad that it has come to this.

Funny, I haven't heard Beck calling for violence, in fact just the opposite. But I have heard / seen a man calling for the killing of cracker babies and crackers. I think I'll worry more about this dirt bag than I will Beck.

Craig

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    alsoo think that he loves this country and has brought a lot of things to light that people may never have heard about otherwise...

Definitely I agree with you there.

I think you miss his demographic as well...it's unhappy AMERICANS, not just on the conservative side.

I haven't known any liberals to watch him for reasons other than to dislike him more.

Funny, I haven't heard Beck calling for violence, in fact just the opposite.

He has to state the opposite to avoid potential lawsuits but the language that he uses on his program is still inflamatory. But bringing it back to the topic at hand, Byron Williams, if there is another American revolution it needs to be fought with words and with ballots. Not with guns or with bombs. Domestic terrorism will not bring America back to its golden age.

B17-FE

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    SE TEXAS
    Funny, I haven't heard Beck calling for violence, in fact just the opposite. But I have heard / seen a man calling for the killing of cracker babies and crackers. I think I'll worry more about this dirt bag than I will Beck.

Craig

Correct ! The peoples voices must not be silenced .... but "violence is not the answer" (it's what the fringe is hoping for).
    If you tune in you will be surprised how much of the content is documented in their own words.
    He and his staff just do the homework. (The work the regular so called media doesn't do.)
    You can still research it yourself and make up your own mind .... which is also encouraged.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Correct ! The peoples voices must not be silenced .... but "violence is not the answer" (it's what the fringe is hoping for).
    If you tune in you will be surprised how much of the content is documented in their own words.
    He and his staff just do the homework. (The work the regular so called media doesn't do.)
    You can still research it yourself and make up your own mind .... which is also encouraged.

We DO have recourse...at the ballot box and even beyond, with armed revolt as the LAST resort...

Personally, I think that should things come down to an armed revolt, it won't be because of some nut job going after a progressive/liberal/marxist organization because Beck/Rush/Hannity told him to...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Personally, I think that should things come down to an armed revolt, it won't be because of some nut job going after a progressive/liberal/marxist organization because Beck/Rush/Hannity told him to...

Certainly not, but I think it just highlights the fact that at least a portion of America is teetering on the edge of sanity right now. I just hope that cool heads and cooler voting prevail over lunacy, you know?

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Certainly not, but I think it just highlights the fact that at least a portion of America is teetering on the edge of sanity right now....

I agree...and those people that have fallen over the edge are easy to spot. They are all supporting Ron Paul!

(sorry dude, cheap shot, but I HAD to do it...Beck told me to!)

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    SEE I knew you were a whacked out LIBERAL!!! give me a F-CKING BREAK!! yeah i know everyone who listens to death rock , Ozzy Osborne, Glen Beck and all that other violent music will eventually go and kill someone!! this time im really laughing at you!! Um how about we hold EACH PERSON who commits a crime ACCOUNTABLE THEMSELVES for said crime comitted??? yeah, i know you want to blame someone else and not the actual person who commited the act of breaking the law!! what a F-CKING JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    lol

Skeeter, I'm all or individual responsibility. I'm not saying that Glenn Beck should take responsibility for this man's actions and I'm not saying it's his fault but the language that he uses on his program could be presented in a less volatile manner. It's a good thing that Mr. Beck brings information about this Tide group to light and I don't think that people would have known about it otherwise, but for that same logic it could be said that if this angry Byron Williams fellow hadn't been listening to the program then it wouldn't have even known about the Tide group and gone off on a personal crusade which makes conservatives AND gun owners look bad in the public eye yet again. Whenever something like this happens the progressives point the finger and say, "See? This is exactly why we need to tighten down on gun control." Sometimes Mr. Beck's fiery style of presentation contributes to already angry conservatives causing damage to conservative reputations and 2A rights. How many people will read this news story and think "Those crazy gun nuts!" Not everyone thinks about individual responsibility

See what I'm getting at?

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    i understand what you are trying to say and still dont agree with it. i dont care how long someone sits in a KKK, Black Panther or Radical church meeting and then goes out and commits a crime, I will never blame that Group!! you say it as if Beck persuaded that freak to do whatever it is he did!! the ONLY person that can persuade ANYONE to do ANYTHING is YOURSELF!! Lastly, just cause one doesnt want to hear Becks Volatile message so you claim, he should tone it down??? its called freedom of speech whether one likes the message or not.......

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't think Beck persuaded him to do it but I think Beck's angered enthusiasm is contagious. It's good for some folks and gets them excited about politics and voting but bad for crazy folk. :)

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    as much as i cant stand listening to Kieth Overbite, Rachael Maddcow, John Stupid and all those lack of intelligence,ignorant soon to be out of a job Libterds, i still dont want them to change or be silenced!! thats the difference between me the conservative and you the Liberal!! because if your kind doesnt like it, you want to ban it!! see what i mean??

MAJIK_BONE_77

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Nowhere
    Look there are Crazies on both sides, on the right u have guys like this idiot trying to take out the Tides foundation, and on the left u have people like the Douche who flew his plane into the IRS building a few months ago (because even though nobody talks about it he was a left winger) and then u got crazies that are in their own corner like the Hardcore Racist Black panthers & Neo/skinhead/KKK Nazis & the La raza "we hate anyone whos not hispanic & the U.S. owes us" Assholes (all of whom are wastes of human flesh, and they all just need to be dropped in the same place so they can all wipe each other out)

....... Anyway, the crazies are everywhere, and the facts are that what they do is their own fault and nobody elses, there is just as much inflamatory speech coming from the left as there is from the right (which Glenn Beck is not, hes actually a libertairian, and talks almost as much crap about the right as he does about the left)

....... anyway again, the left has just as much B.S. going on as the right, they have plenty of nutjobs running around doing stupid stuff making their side look bad, and u could just as easily point to some media figure as the reason someone on the left did something stupid, but unfortunately most of the media (and even liberals will admit this) is liberal in nature and doesn't mention these things, just like you'll never hear Rush limbaugh mentioning something that is a stain on the reputation of the right.

Its all political B.S. nothing is being taken seriously, we are all being used as pawns to try and win elections for one side or the other, the only ones I trust are people like Glenn Beck who don't like or trust either side & who respect our constitution. Anyone who believes in freedom (left, right or inbetween) should be paying attention to all sides of the story, including Glenn Beck's, because wether u are on the right or left that FACTS are pointing to the U.S. moving closer to big government, and less freedoms as defined by the U.S. Constitution, and no matter what side your on that should scare the crap out of u.

People don't seem to realize that our country and its freedoms are a rarity when looking at the history of the world, and unless we work at keeping it a free country it WILL go away, we've gotten spoiled and lazy in the last 70 years, and we seem to think that nothing horrible like loss of freedoms, or more government control, or going from a republic to a democracy (which is a bad thing) will ever happen, but that's wrong, it can happen all to quick, and we need to stop worrying about the left or the right, and what talk show host from what network said what, and start paying attention to what going on in the country, no matter where the information came from, we need to stop voting politicians into office, and start voting people into office ..... people who understand that they are public servants to "We the People"

Moss_Berg5150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Look there are Crazies on both sides, on the right u have guys like this idiot trying to take out the Tides foundation, and on the left u have people like the Douche who flew his plane into the IRS building a few months ago (because even though nobody talks about it he was a left winger) and then u got crazies that are in their own corner like the Hardcore Racist Black panthers & Neo/skinhead/KKK Nazis & the La raza "we hate anyone whos not hispanic & the U.S. owes us" Assholes (all of whom are wastes of human flesh, and they all just need to be dropped in the same place so they can all wipe each other out)

....... Anyway, the crazies are everywhere, and the facts are that what they do is their own fault and nobody elses, there is just as much inflamatory speech coming from the left as there is from the right (which Glenn Beck is not, hes actually a libertairian, and talks almost as much crap about the right as he does about the left)

....... anyway again, the left has just as much B.S. going on as the right, they have plenty of nutjobs running around doing stupid stuff making their side look bad, and u could just as easily point to some media figure as the reason someone on the left did something stupid, but unfortunately most of the media (and even liberals will admit this) is liberal in nature and doesn't mention these things, just like you'll never hear Rush limbaugh mentioning something that is a stain on the reputation of the right.

Its all political B.S. nothing is being taken seriously, we are all being used as pawns to try and win elections for one side or the other, the only ones I trust are people like Glenn Beck who don't like or trust either side & who respect our constitution. Anyone who believes in freedom (left, right or inbetween) should be paying attention to all sides of the story, including Glenn Beck's, because wether u are on the right or left that FACTS are pointing to the U.S. moving closer to big government, and less freedoms as defined by the U.S. Constitution, and no matter what side your on that should scare the crap out of u.

People don't seem to realize that our country and its freedoms are a rarity when looking at the history of the world, and unless we work at keeping it a free country it WILL go away, we've gotten spoiled and lazy in the last 70 years, and we seem to think that nothing horrible like loss of freedoms, or more government control, or going from a republic to a democracy (which is a bad thing) will ever happen, but that's wrong, it can happen all to quick, and we need to stop worrying about the left or the right, and what talk show host from what network said what, and start paying attention to what going on in the country, no matter where the information came from, we need to stop voting politicians into office, and start voting people into office ..... people who understand that they are public servants to "We the People"

+1

Top Bottom