• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I am building cabinets for our alcoves to finish them out. I am neaarly finsihed with the build and I am going to paint them the trim color we already have.

Question is should I use a polyurethane on the interior? I tried a satin poly I have and it was not good.

Should I finish them inside or leave them bare?

20130615_211557_zpsd4509fab.jpg

20130615_211446_zps121d5e78.jpg
    Capitol Armory ad

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Use a good oil based paint/alkyd for inside and out. It gives a much better finished look, is more durable to some abuse, and lasts a lot longer than a latex based paint. Just be sure, if possible, to paint With the grain of the wood. Gives it a more professional and finished look that way. And make sure to wipe the wood with a good lint free cloth prior to painting so you don't have any unwanted hangers on showing up.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I use cheese cloth to wipe down wood projects for paint. The trim paint that I am using for the exterior is a tough but thick paint. Is this something I should thin out or should I be looking for a different paint?

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If this is a latex paint, yes a Minor thinning with water is to be used. PLEASE avoid latex. If this is an oil based paint, you can thin out with an "extender", but NOT a thinner. AVOID at all cost using paint thinner in your paint, it will leave a very drab and dull look to the finish. Only use paint thinner/mineral spirits to clean your equipment at the end of the job. A "thick " paint is fairly normal with oil based, just be sure not to put it on thick, as in 2-3-4 strokes per. And only use what little the brush will use when you are painting. Don't glob it on is what I'm saying.

I'm having a brain fart on what I used to use as an a "thinner". A coupla don't help. Paso maybe

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The paint that I am using is an oil based paint and is tough as nails. I will go to our Benjamin Moore paint store and ask for an "extender" when I am piking up paint. You don't think that a polyurethane clear would look better?

Byrd666

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Knowing pictures don't do justice to really seeing something, and not knowing exactly what kind of wood it is you are using, but it does look like a pine wood. a clear coat could be okay. Whether that be over a stain or not. And normally, with a clear coat, a thinner is NOT required. And a clear coat would also "brighten up" the area.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Knowing pictures don't do justice to really seeing something, and not knowing exactly what kind of wood it is you are using, but it does look like a pine wood. a clear coat could be okay. Whether that be over a stain or not. And normally, with a clear coat, a thinner is NOT required. And a clear coat would also "brighten up" the area.

The wood is Poplar and the drawer bottoms are Luann. I did more research and I think I am going to simply clear coat the front of the rawers and leav it be. The cabinets are not going to be an everyday use and they are just going to hold AV equipment.

Top Bottom