not pictured… .22short

there used to be many more

IMG_8275.jpeg

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My husband and I did that caliber consolidation and firearm downsizing several years before his retirement.

Plus more consolidation after he retired.

He sold his LAST sweet 12 gauge shotgun several years ago.

Remington 870 - MARINE MAGNUM.

I do not think that HE will get another shogun although he and I have discussed this on and off. He sold several shotguns and a BUNCH of handguns and rifles long before I knew him too. He quit reloading for his shotguns a long time ago too.

He has had MANY firearms in various calibers and gauges during his lifetime. We are in our 70's.

I do not know if he will keep his one and only nice bolt action rifle in .223 caliber or not. He only has one in the .223 caliber.

He reloads for all of his CF firearms shy of the .380 acp caliber. He buys factory ammunition for those 2 pistols.

He reloads for these calibers:

45acp

30-30 Winchester

30-06

45-70 Government

I do not know (?) if he will continue to 'cast' bullets and he used to do a LOT of that in the past too.

His reloading products are easier to stock up on since he downsized. He does not need anything there!

He sold some dies, one OTHER reloading set besides the shotgun reloading set and gear, gifted some more items from a to z, and sold a BUNCH of stuff over the years.

He gifted a BUNCH to friends, close friends, who shot and still shoot and hunt/fish with him too. Several of those OLD gun buddy friends of his have died too.

He and I shoot 22lr and 22wmr firearms too.

I gifted him my last 2 rifles (CZ) in 22wmr and in 22lr.

On Tuesday, today, he is going out to a close and old friend's ranch with another close friend of his and they will eliminate - shoot some gophers and rock chucks for his rancher friends.

He is talking his older RUGER 77/22 rifle (22lr) and one of the CZ Lux 457 rifles in 22wmr. He bought 2 matching Lux 457 rifles in 22wmr several years ago.

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    The more that I think about ALL firearm calibers @ my age of almost 74 years old this summer... my IDEAS have changed somewhat compared to what I used to own and shoot. I still LOVED what I did buy, own, carry and shoot but I have thought about this on and off as I have aged.

Especially RECENTLY when it comes to STUFF and with some of my own (His too.) gifting and downsizing.

If I was still back east with my late husband, I would do what he did, pretty much, for his firearms and choosing only SPECIFIC calibers.

His small amount of firearms in his lifetime (By his CHOICE!) were ONLY in 22lr and in 357Magnum. (Some 38Special ammunition was there too.) So he only owned 22lr and 357Magnum handguns and rifles during his life. He owned more boats than firearms too! Sail and power boats.

I think that I may (?) have gone this route over the years considering our rural location - farm/lake brick house.

My late husband did not hunt. I do not hunt.

We did not reload ammo but I did think about getting INTO it way back when before his cancer discovery and death. After that time frame, I personally had and still have NO desire to do this for MYSELF.

I do encourage my MT husband to do his own thing for his GUN interests since he has reloaded since the early 70's.

I do NOT REGRET owning the smaller amount of very specific 'calibers' that I did own in handguns and rifles.

Many of my firearms could SHARE ammunition in RF and CF handguns and in CF pistol caliber rifles and in RF rifles.

I did not OWN a CF rifle until I moved out west. My first one was a sweet Marlin 336C in 30-30 Winchester. Walnut and blue steel.

So I think that I may have gone my late husband's route in even LESS calibers as in his choices of 22lr and 357Magnum.

Or I would go to 22lr and 30-30 Winchester for 2 BASIC calibers for firearms.

Yet, with all of that SAID, grin, I absolutely LOVE, love and love the 22wmr caliber/cartridge coming out of a RIFLE!

Several years ago, even before the CZ buying BOLT ACTION time frame for us, out here in MT, I had a beautiful yet pretty heavy walnut LEVER ACTION rifle in 22wmr. I told my husband that IF I could only CHOOSE or OWN ONE RIFLE in 1 caliber - it would be in the 22wmr caliber. I had matching LEVER action rifles in that brand - 22lr and 22wmr.

Anyway, I was just thinking out loud here and if I bored some of you - sorry about that! Grin.

Have a nice Tuesday!

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I should add that what worked for me in the PAST with some handicaps and what works for me NOW with more severe handicaps especially since I do not own, shoot or carry handguns now - may NOT have worked for any person HERE in the past, present or future.

What works for my senior citizen husband @ 6' 1" with some physical issues compared to me @ 5' 3" with different physical issues are like comparing apples and oranges.

We work with what we have in those issues and WE still keep on MOVING, exercising and swimming!

Most of us have very specific tastes, likes, dislikes, etc. in FIREARMS and in many other subject matters.

Plus some of our tastes may change or stay the same even if we do not use the same firearm, knife, tool, etc. that we used 20 or more years ago.

Back to my James Bond movies. We are keeping a few of them and GIFTING the rest of them.

Old Lady Cate

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Yet, with all of that SAID, grin, I absolutely LOVE, love and love the 22wmr caliber/cartridge coming out of a RIFLE!

Several years ago, even before the CZ buying BOLT ACTION time frame for us, out here in MT, I had a beautiful yet pretty heavy walnut LEVER ACTION rifle in 22wmr. I told my husband that IF I could only CHOOSE or OWN

Anyway, I was just thinking out loud here and if I bored some of you - sorry about that! Grin.

Have a nice Tuesday!

Old Lady Cate

My wife and I are a dozen years behind you and I’m moving in your direction. I very much appreciate your thoughts and insight. I have also been thinking about adding a .22 mag to the safe.

Take care!

Buzz

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I’ve pared down a bit as well and am more “right sizing” as I see it. I’m adding .22 rimfire guns (long and handguns).

I am thinking about a couple more easy shooting bolt action rifles in .223/.243/.308

I’m wondering why I have any .357 revolvers at all but when I bring them to the range, I’m reminded how fun they are to shoot…so maybe a lever rifle in that great cartridge.

The Ruger PC Carbine in 9MM was probably a mistake…it’s not really something I like…I thought I would, and did, but compared to an AR it’s not my preference. Gotta move that out.

I’m good with my 12 gauge shotguns but might pickup another 20 gauge or 2 my grandkids.

I don’t own a 1911. Blasphemy I know…I’ve owned them. They are iconic and fun. But call me a loser if you want, I much prefer striker fire guns like my Glocks or XDm’s. Same deal with any DA/SA guns like a CZ75 or Beretta. Hard pass.

I like and will add to my AR’s. I recently took a very enlightening Carbine Course and what I used to like and shoot good I now really like and am learning to operate effectively. Huge difference.

I’m NOT debating anyone’s opinions. You do you, I’ll do me.

Iowashooter

Bitter Clinger
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Iowa
    I enjoy reading about how others have handled it (aging and firearm ownership/chanues).

Yes, we are all different and will make different choices, but it is informative and gives me ideas to think about.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    I enjoy watching this knowledgeable youtuber Big Swoll58 - he refinishes wooden pistol handgrips amazingly. He is downsizing his amazing collection to 5 guns. I like that idea so I made a deal that every 3 guns I sell, I can buy one...hopefully I can get to the point that just the true favorites remain. This AFT selling rule baloney is throwing a wrench in my works, however.

Fabulous pistol collection he is liquidating.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I’ve pared down a bit as well and am more “right sizing” as I see it. I’m adding .22 rimfire guns (long and handguns).

I am thinking about a couple more easy shooting bolt action rifles in .223/.243/.308

I’m wondering why I have any .357 revolvers at all but when I bring them to the range, I’m reminded how fun they are to shoot…so maybe a lever rifle in that great cartridge.

The Ruger PC Carbine in 9MM was probably a mistake…it’s not really something I like…I thought I would, and did, but compared to an AR it’s not my preference. Gotta move that out.

I’m good with my 12 gauge shotguns but might pickup another 20 gauge or 2 my grandkids.

I don’t own a 1911. Blasphemy I know…I’ve owned them. They are iconic and fun. But call me a loser if you want, I much prefer striker fire guns like my Glocks or XDm’s. Same deal with any DA/SA guns like a CZ75 or Beretta. Hard pass.

I like and will add to my AR’s. I recently took a very enlightening Carbine Course and what I used to like and shoot good I now really like and am learning to operate effectively. Huge difference.

I’m NOT debating anyone’s opinions. You do you, I’ll do me.

I would not call you a loser or anything like that if you sold or kept any specific firearm.

My MT husband was ALWAYS a '45' man. He still is a '45' man to a degree too. HIS favorite caliber for a handgun was in '45' - 45acp or 45Long Colt with 357Magnum coming in second.

He (And I.) had SEVERAL CF pistol caliber rifles too.

He competed a LOT too. I competed but it was NOTHING compared to him.

Although, I did shoot MANY rounds per week for years and years on end in CF and in RF but MORE in RF due to the COST of my ammunition back east and even out here in Montana.

He sold ALL of his 1911 pistols. SWEET pistols and in top brands. Tack drivers.

He sold ALL of his 45Long Colt, 454 Casull, 357 Magnum and ALL other CALIBER single action revolvers including the Freedom Arms, Custom guns, Ruger single actions, etc.

He did get a RUGER single action revolver - Wrangler in 22lr a couple of years ago AND he does shoot that. Christmas/New Year time frame.

He sold ALL but 2 of his LEVER ACTION rifles in CF and in RF shy of his MADE IN CT - MARLIN rifles in 30-30 Winchester and in 45-70 Government models.

And HE was ALWAYS BIG INTO LEVER ACTION and bolt action rifles from A to Z in the CT MARLIN brand, Winchester, Browning, Henry, etc.

I was ALWAYS BIG into LEVER ACTION RF and CF RIFLES THE MOST too! I have only BOUGHT and owned ONE semi automatic rifle and that was in the CT MARLIN PAPOOSE.

He does OWN, shoot and carry a GLOCK PISTOL in 45acp and 2 Glock pistols in .380 acp.

We LOVE the GLOCK brand!

I do NOT care if some people scoff at that. Oh well and to each their own.

He has owned several of them and I did too. Both of us in 9mm. (Past times.) He owned a duplicate 45acp like the one he still has NOW and another one in the past too. He no longer owns anything in 9mm.

He does OWN MORE RF firearms NOW in rifles and several RF handguns. Mentioned previously.

I used to own and bought these calibers back east and out here.

Back east when I FIRST got into buying my own firearms in very specific brands and specific calibers. Late 90's and on.

GLOCK 19 - 9mm

SEVERAL 22lr Handguns and 3 RF (22lr) rifles back east. SMITH and WESSON and RUGER brands.

BROWNING BL 22
    WINCHESTER 94-22
    MARLIN PAPOOSE with the blue bag - CT made.

22 wmr (RUGER single action convertible with the EXTRA cylinder.)

(OUT here - 22wmr rifles.)

357 Magnum - 38 Special

45 Long Colt

I was GIFTED 2 S&W Model 29s in a -2 and -3 and one came with the presentation box, etc. I never ASKED for them and I mainly shot MORE 44Special and only a bit of 44Magnum ammunition. Those were the ONLY 2 firearms that I ever owned in 44Magnum/44Special.

They were not SHOT or carried that much by me.

I did RENT a S&W Model 629 at my old gun store back east just to see what it was LIKE TO SHOOT a 44Magnum handgun BEFORE I went to a COLORADO shooting event.

I carried the RUGER Blackhawk 45Long Colt and the S&W 357Magnum d/a revolvers and one RUGER 357Magnum s/a revolver a LOT. Especially OUT HERE. Plus the RUGER single action 22lr/22wmr revolvers.

My husband and I had SWEET rifles in 357Magnum and in 45Long Colt.

Plus the 30-30 Winchester caliber in the MARLIN 336C which was my FIRST CF rifle and in the Winchester brand. ALL of the Wins were sold too.

My calibers were specifically chosen by me, myself and I over the years. I DELIBERATELY bought some of my firearms so they could SHARE CF and RF ammunition too. To save MONEY and because I LOVED/love the specific caliber - cartridge.

Plus I like the KISS METHOD for myself. My late husband used to say KISS in some things as in the military saying of KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID and I did that in MANY of my things in life including BUYING some firearms, knives, appliances, tractors, push mowers, HOUSEHOLD goods, and in MANY other tools too!

If you do get the 357Magnum lever action rifle - tell us about it and what you decided to buy!

I know A BIT about the 357 Magnum rifles - the CT MARLIN one, the older HENRY one from several years ago, the WINCHESTER ones but I do not KNOW or have owned many of the OTHER BRANDS out there MYSELF.

I have NOT SEEN the RUGER 'MARLIN' rifles in 357Magnum yet OUT HERE but I have SEEN them here and in other places ONLINE!

BEST WISHES TO YOU and to your wife!

Sincerely,

Catherine in Western Montana aka Old Lady Cate

TYPOS and added more since I accidently pushed SEND too quickly! Apologies.

Last edited:

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    I enjoy watching this knowledgeable youtuber Big Swoll58 - he refinishes wooden pistol handgrips amazingly. He is downsizing his amazing collection to 5 guns. I like that idea so I made a deal that every 3 guns I sell, I can buy one...hopefully I can get to the point that just the true favorites remain. This AFT selling rule baloney is throwing a wrench in my works, however.

Fabulous pistol collection he is liquidating.

Beautiful firearms!

I wish him well on his sale.

Thank you for sharing this video!

Old Lady Cate

PS: Best wishes on what YOU decide to do with your own firearms too. Take care!

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I would not call you a loser or anything like that if you sold or kept any specific firearm.

My MT husband was ALWAYS a '45' man. He still is a '45' man to a degree too. HIS favorite caliber for a handgun was in '45' - 45acp or 45Long Colt with 357Magnum coming in second.

He (And I.) had SEVERAL CF pistol caliber rifles too.

He competed a LOT too. I competed but it was NOTHING compared to him.

Although, I did shoot MANY rounds per week for years and years on end in CF and in RF but MORE in RF due to the COST of my ammunition back east and even out here in Montana.

He sold ALL of his 1911 pistols. SWEET pistols and in top brands. Tack drivers.

He sold ALL of his 45Long Colt, 454 Casull, 357 Magnum and ALL other CALIBER single action revolvers including the Freedom Arms, Custom guns, Ruger single actions, etc.

He did get a RUGER single action revolver - Wrangler in 22lr a couple of years ago AND he does shoot that. Christmas/New Year time frame.

He sold ALL but 2 of his LEVER ACTION rifles in CF and in RF shy of his MADE IN CT - MARLIN rifles in 30-30 Winchester and in 45-70 Government models.

And HE was ALWAYS BIG INTO LEVER ACTION and bolt action rifles from A to Z in the CT MARLIN brand, Winchester, Browning, Henry, etc.

I was ALWAYS BIG into LEVER ACTION RF and CF RIFLES THE MOST too! I have only BOUGHT and owned ONE semi automatic rifle and that was in the CT MARLIN PAPOOSE.

He does OWN, shoot and carry a GLOCK PISTOL in 45acp and 2 Glock pistols in .380 acp.

We LOVE the GLOCK brand!

I do NOT care if some people scoff at that. Oh well and to each their own.

He has owned several of them and I did too. Both of us in 9mm. (Past times.) He owned a duplicate 45acp like the one he still has NOW and another one in the past too. He no longer owns anything in 9mm.

He does OWN MORE RF firearms NOW in rifles and several RF handguns. Mentioned previously.

I used to own and bought these calibers back east and out here.

Back east when I FIRST got into buying my own firearms in very specific brands and specific calibers. Late 90's and on.

GLOCK 19 - 9mm

SEVERAL 22lr Handguns and 3 RF (22lr) rifles back east. SMITH and WESSON and RUGER brands.

BROWNING BL 22
    WINCHESTER 94-22
    MARLIN PAPOOSE with the blue bag - CT made.

22 wmr (RUGER single action convertible with the EXTRA cylinder.)

(OUT here - 22wmr rifles.)

357 Magnum - 38 Special

45 Long Colt

I was GIFTED 2 S&W Model 29s in a -2 and -3 and one came with the presentation box, etc. I never ASKED for them and I mainly shot MORE 44Special and only a bit of 44Magnum ammunition. Those were the ONLY 2 firearms that I ever owned in 44Magnum/44Special.

They were not SHOT or carried that much by me.

I did RENT a S&W Model 629 at my old gun store back east just to see what it was LIKE TO SHOOT a 44Magnum handgun BEFORE I went to a COLORADO shooting event.

I carried the RUGER Blackhawk 45Long Colt and the S&W 357Magnum d/a revolvers and one RUGER 357Magnum s/a revolver a LOT. Especially OUT HERE. Plus the RUGER single action 22lr/22wmr revolvers.

My husband and I had SWEET rifles in 357Magnum and in 45Long Colt.

Plus the 30-30 Winchester caliber in the MARLIN 336C which was my FIRST CF rifle and in the Winchester brand. ALL of the Wins were sold too.

My calibers were specifically chosen by me, myself and I over the years. I DELIBERATELY bought some of my firearms so they could SHARE CF and RF ammunition too. To save MONEY and because I LOVED/love the specific caliber - cartridge.

Plus I like the KISS METHOD for myself. My late husband used to say KISS in some things as in the military saying of KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID and I did that in MANY of my things in life including BUYING some firearms, knives, appliances, tractors, push mowers, HOUSEHOLD goods, and in MANY other tools too!

If you do get the 357Magnum lever action rifle - tell us about it and what you decided to buy!

I know A BIT about the 357 Magnum rifles - the CT MARLIN one, the older HENRY one from several years ago, the WINCHESTER ones but I do not KNOW or have owned many of the OTHER BRANDS out there MYSELF.

I have NOT SEEN the RUGER 'MARLIN' rifles in 357Magnum yet OUT HERE but I have SEEN them here and in other places ONLINE!

BEST WISHES TO YOU and to your wife!

Sincerely,

Catherine in Western Montana aka Old Lady Cate

Cate,

What a spectacular response! Warmed my heart this morning!

There is a special place in my heart for the Big Sky State…I was stationed in Great Falls for 7 years, but the best 7 in a 28 year military career! The Good Lord gave me my wonderful wife of now 34 years in Montana, my first child, and a great many wonderful memories of friends, hiking, hunting, fishing, and enjoying His greatest creations. Montanans (true folk, not the CA imports) are truly special and wonderful people.

I spent equal time in Alaska, but Montana won my heart!

Most of my fishing was in the Missouri south of GF, but I loved my fishing trips to the Bitterroot and Big Hole rivers. And hunting around Lincoln and up in the Lolo.

You live in a special place. I’m not telling you anything you don’t know, just reminiscing on great days gone by.

All my best to you and your lucky man!

Buzz

Top Bottom