• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    10-4. If I had to rely on a pistol in combat conditions it would be a Colt. These high end "Custom" 1911s work great in civilian like, but I wouldn't trust one in the deserts of the middle east. The factory pistols may not be as accurate as a custom but they will still work when they get wet or get some sand in them. A pistol that shoots 2" groups at 25 yards is better than one that jams in combat. The 1911 has proven itself time after time in many wars. Newer semi-auto pistols hold more rounds than a 1911. Beretta has proven it's worth in combat, but guys I have talked to that have used them in Iraq wished they had a 45 caliber pistol in lieu of the now standard 9mm the militaries are using. What ever works best for the shooter is the best choice for him.
    Capitol Armory ad

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I readily agree that the gun I'll carry in my belt is different than the one I'll shoot in competition - and neither would be carried in combat. Each has its' own specific needs and specialty - and a tight gun in combat can get ya in trouble faster'n a 15 year-old-gal datin' a college freshman! However...one of these days we'll need ta meet up and compare groups on our favorite carry guns....<G> In the meantime, guns are like motorcycles - what works for me may not work for you - but because it does, it doesn't make mine YOUR best choice - or vice-versa.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am not trying to say my gun is better than yours. My point was a pistol does not have to cost 2k to be good. When a person orders a Les Baer and specifies the 1 1/2" group option, Les Baer does not do anything special to make the pistol you order shoot better. They are all built with great care. Les takes all of his 1911s to the range prior to them being shipped. He test fires each of these pistols in a Ransom rest at 25 yards. The small cardboard taget is enclosed in the box with the pistol. He also encloses a certificate stating the pistol was test fired and it did in fact shoot 1 1/2" groups. The ones that shoot 1 1/2" groups are then matched with orders for that type of pistol. The remaining pistols are shipped to people who do not specify a tighter pattern pistol. The same accuracy thing probably happens with other manufacturers. My Springfield may fall into this catagory. I may have been lucky with my purchase. I had A Colt 1911 Series 80 enhanced model several years ago. It performed flawlessly, but like many people I wanted to make it better. I had a Barsto fit one of their match grade barrels and bushing to it. I had a custom gunsmith named Ken Crawley do several other enhancements. In all I spent over $500 in upgrades to this pistol. It was as reliable as any 1911 that I have ever owned, but it never really lived up to my expectations. I sold it to a friend for $750. He loves it. The key to any 1911 shooting well is in the barrel lock up and bushing fit. If you have a 1911 that has a tight barrel lock up when it goes into battery and a good fitting bushing, it should shoot very good. The 1911 is like a Chevy small block engine, it has been around long enough that everyone makes upgrade parts for them and almost every major gun company is now building a 1911 of their own. As far as motorcycles go, I ride a Harley Softtail. Almost every other motorcycle on the road rides better and has more horsepower, but the Harley is an American icon. You are riding a piece of American history.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned a lot of 1911 style pistols and can't say I dislike any of them. I found that the smaller versions are more cranky and fussy and the nickle plated ones aren't my favorites as I use heavy ammonia based cleaners and that's not the best plan with nickle.

One of them was a no name slide on an Essex frame that I sold to my neighbor. I tried many times to buy that gun back! It shot like a dream! The gun had no finish on it and it rattled like a can of BB's. Don't let appearance run you away from a fine pistol.

The last Colt I purchased cost $550 and overlooking a few wear issues in the finish, was a terrific buy.

I bought a S&W model 19 with about 10% finish that is 100% mechanically sound. My S&W model 36 was carried a million miles by a former, now deceased police officer in New Mexico. It is also 100% mechanically perfect with about 40% finish.

Those guns have character and I wouldn't sell them at any price. I like tools that have been used and show the character from jobs well done. When I see a gun that is brand new fresh, it has little appeal to me. Similarly, you need to buy what suits YOU!

Over the years, I tended to keep the Colts. I think the world of the Rock Island .45's and bought two of them. Those are keepers.

My rule of thumb goes like this: "Buy what you really want and not what you can afford. If you buy something else, you won't be satisfied and will end up buying the first choice anyway."

Flash

blacksheep

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    the range
    I ended up buying a series 70 ( colt ) from B&B Sales in Fort Worth, got a nice price and had to go with it. Why a Colt, just like them and don't mind working on them, besides it's not my first Colt and it certainly wont be the last.
    Thanks for all the input guys.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    My rule of thumb goes like this: "Buy what you really want and not what you can afford. If you buy something else, you won't be satisfied and will end up buying the first choice anyway."
    How true.

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    Go with a new Series 70. Extremely well-made, accurate and reliable out of the box. It comes with good, high-fixed sights. No MIM or cast parts, except for the grip and thumb safeties, which aren't important and easily replaced. I got mine in San Marcos for $775.00 OTD.
    Bob

DSC_0622.gif

19.gif

DSC_0684.gif

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member