Texas SOT

Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my record?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • djrocky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Houston
    I was arrested in 2003 for felony possesion of controlled substance and did deferred adjudication. Can I still buy a gun?
    Texas SOT

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Re: Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my recor

Your best bet is to probably take the time and pay the fee for consulting an attorney on this matter so as to get proper legal advise.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Re: Can I still buy a gun if I have a felony deferred adjudication arrest on my recor

When was the final day of your probation? I agree with Dcav, consult a lawyer to be 100% certain. It's my understanding that you must wait 5 years after PROBATION ends, then you can possess firearms.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX

5 years, 10 years, lifetime. these are the usual routes for any type of conviction that would cause concern for firearm ownership. there are too many variables to say what your result might be. have you completed the terms of your adjudication and when was the final/complete term finished?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Renegade is the member with excellent knowledge of the federal firearms laws. He has advised, and my research has supported, that a deferred is not a conviction for purposes of the federal firearms laws.

It is also not a conviction under state law regarding firearm possession.

There are plenty of resources available online to show that.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston

Once you successfully complete deferred and the charges are set aside you should be fine to purchase. Depending on the conviction it is 5 years to get a carry permit as the carry law considers a deferred a conviction. This should also not prohibit you from owning NFA items once the term is complete. Just be VERY careful on deferred. They call it DA layaway for a reason.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Once you successfully complete deferred and the charges are set aside you should be fine to purchase. Depending on the conviction it is 5 years to get a carry permit as the carry law considers a deferred a conviction. This should also not prohibit you from owning NFA items once the term is complete. Just be VERY careful on deferred. They call it DA layaway for a reason.

The OP said it was a felony, and since it was not for Title 5, Penal Code, Chapter 29, Penal Code, Section 25.07, Penal Code, Section 30.02, Penal Code, nor was it an offense punishable under Subsection (c)(2) or (d) of that section, nor an offense under the laws of another state that contains elements that are substantially similar to the elements of an offense listed above, then he would be eligible 10 years from date of disposition.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Arrests do not matter. Only indictments and convictions.

If your answers to 11b & 11c are NO, then you are OK.

ETA:

Since it was drug-related, you also have to be able to say NO to 11e.

4473Questions.gif

jgalvanatx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2011
    Austin, TX

You should be able to purchase, once you're discharged from supervision and complete all terms.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston

DJ - You should be fine. I had something similar back in '05 and have not had a problem.

djrocky

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Houston

Thanks gramps.

Yes I have been discharged after completing my terms in early 2007. I haven't been in trouble with the law since and am also not addicted to drugs. I know I couldn't get a chl but I don't need one. I just want to go shooting at the range, and maybe something for home defense against zombies... Just kidding about the zombies, but yeah thanks for all the advice guys.

Yocan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2011
    Ellington

I think you should be fine too, still I'd check with a lawyer if you get one and your not fine then your actually going to go to jail. IMO at 7 or 10 years you could get it expunged entirely if defered adjucation still shows up on your background check and be totally clean, again consult with an attorney.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

A successfully completed deferred adjudication is not a conviction. Therefore you are not a prohibited person.

Make sure you successfully completed the def. Adj. And the guilty plea was setbaside and the case dismissed.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I think you should be fine too, still I'd check with a lawyer if you get one and your not fine then your actually going to go to jail. IMO at 7 or 10 years you could get it expunged entirely if defered adjucation still shows up on your background check and be totally clean, again consult with an attorney.

Deferreds are not eligible for expunction

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

I know that's what is said, but I have been told buy attorneys that have done it that it is still possible.

Eli

Eligibility for expunction is in the Code of Criminal Procedure. Look it up.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX

I know that's what is said, but I have been told buy attorneys that have done it that it is still possible.

Eli

They were incorrect.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Redacted

Top Bottom