• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Something like that was my dream - once upon a time. Now I want my air to be "conditioned" and that means electric!
    His current home is a dog leg log cabin that he built. He stays in half using the bathroom in the guest side. He had built an out house that has a tub with shower, toilet, washer & dryer with a hot water heater in it.

He eventually built a covered porch around 3/4 of it. Then he closed the one end in making it his old processing room. I spent many a winter night sleeping in that on an old surplus bed.

He’s got satellite TV, cell phone & electric now. Still heats with wood, but has added several electric heaters.

Back during big ice storm the hot stem on the bathroom sink blew out & flooded him out.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Many folks live in a travel trailer while constructing a more permanent dwelling.
    Build a pole barn that you can park an RV under one side, then build out the other. Sell the RV and live in the finished "half" while building out the other half, or use it for a carport/patio area. It's doable.

When I was a kid, we owned a space in a private campground up in Washington state. There was an HOA of sorts - but the HOA allowed for building these structures, so long as they only had 3 walls. YOu could build any "lean to" style structure around your RV.

We had a 35' Prowler fifth-wheel, nicely appointed for its day (3/4 size bath tub + stand up shower, stacked washer/dryer, queen size hide a bed couch in the back, queen bed up front with a small closet, folding dining booth that turned into a twin size bed. When it was parked and the lean-to built, they put cinder block piers under it to reinforce it, I think the jack stands it came with were also deployed (part of the covenants) for reasons.

Our "lean to" structure was the living room and mud room. It had normal house-style floors, an ornate cement slab w/ polished agates embedded in it that our cast iron stove sat on. Big bay window that looked out over the lake and the rest of the campground below.

We had a terraced garden behind the trailer with roses and other flowers, plus huckleberry bushes. We spent literally every weekend up there, and sometimes we'd go spend a month or two at a time there, and the grandparents would commute the 30-50 miles to their jobs in Oregon.

It worked very well, it was very comfy, and if you build it right and seal it up - you have no worries about critters getting in. Just realize you're *not* moving that RV without dismantling part of the the building attached to it.

Winters up there were no problems at all, summers likewise. The AC units in the roof of the trailer did plenty to cool the bonus rooms.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Factor in water well, septic, electrical and land. You can definitely get it done under $300k, would take a lot of leg work on your behalf as far as pricing out materials and such. Pretty much any contractor will mark everything up so the more you can do yourself the better off you’ll be.

Definitely doable on that budget if your willing to put in the work. Give me rough dimensions of what you have in mind and I can give you a realistic number of what you will be looking at cost wise.

To be extremely clear I stay booked approximately 9 months out so this isn’t me trying to sell a job because I’m way to busy. However I don’t mind giving you a idea of what to expect around this area so you know and don’t get overcharged.
    Was having a slight stroke, over the whole dirt pile thing, so this got delayed. But here is my crude drawing that is poorly thought out, lol. Some general idea of this. I have no idea what size doors are but I made then 2' wide 6' tall. Garage door is 18' wide 8' tall. Roof should have more overhang in the front and back and probably be smaller. Should also have gutters. The garage could be totally open like, and there is a flat floor above the house portion. More storage for the garage. Insulation and drywall the garage at a later time or not at all is what I mean.

The building is (WxL) 40x30. All on a concrete pad?
    Garage 20x30
    Living room/kitchen split 20x15 (kitchen on garage wall?)
    Bedroom 15x15
    Closet 5x5
    Bathroom 5x10

one thing I now wonder after looking at more listings is that some don't list any water or electricity. They really don't even have a road... Just maybe a dirt driveway. Wonder if I would be forced to go solar or something and have a water tank and get water deliveries.

Higgins909

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2016
    Pflugerville
    Completely forgot to attach the photos...
    House.png

House 2.png

House 3.png

House 4.png

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    When looking for land, I tried the valley and areas around Alice and Kinsgsville. Beautiful and affordable. I found 28 acres well below my price range. Remote. Just what I was looking for. The last mile was behind a shared gate, multiple locks with an unpaved, badly maintained road. Shacks on adjacent properties where people were attempting to live off-the-grid. No water. No electric. And rocky soil where septic was going to be VERY expensive. I forged ahead. To get electric to the property I was looking at, was going to cost me $85,000. Water was unavailable unless I drilled a well through sheer rock. There was already a shell cabin on the place that would have to be torn down. Someone else had tried to make it there, but it didn't work.

Deal off.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Was having a slight stroke, over the whole dirt pile thing, so this got delayed. But here is my crude drawing that is poorly thought out, lol. Some general idea of this. I have no idea what size doors are but I made then 2' wide 6' tall. Garage door is 18' wide 8' tall. Roof should have more overhang in the front and back and probably be smaller. Should also have gutters. The garage could be totally open like, and there is a flat floor above the house portion. More storage for the garage. Insulation and drywall the garage at a later time or not at all is what I mean.

The building is (WxL) 40x30. All on a concrete pad?
    Garage 20x30
    Living room/kitchen split 20x15 (kitchen on garage wall?)
    Bedroom 15x15
    Closet 5x5
    Bathroom 5x10

one thing I now wonder after looking at more listings is that some don't list any water or electricity. They really don't even have a road... Just maybe a dirt driveway. Wonder if I would be forced to go solar or something and have a water tank and get water deliveries.
    You might want to look into finding an architect to do some drawings or plans for you. Be a good way to plan the layout according the the land details and for pricing materials to give yourself a cost estimate of building.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When looking for land, I tried the valley and areas around Alice and Kinsgsville. Beautiful and affordable. I found 28 acres well below my price range. Remote. Just what I was looking for. The last mile was behind a shared gate, multiple locks with an unpaved, badly maintained road. Shacks on adjacent properties where people were attempting to live off-the-grid. No water. No electric. And rocky soil where septic was going to be VERY expensive. I forged ahead. To get electric to the property I was looking at, was going to cost me $85,000. Water was unavailable unless I drilled a well through sheer rock. There was already a shell cabin on the place that would have to be torn down. Someone else had tried to make it there, but it didn't work.

Deal off.
    Utilities can be a huge expense of buying land. Finding a section of land without any utilities, a person needs to contact the providers to find out what the cost is going to be have then put in.

A lot of people think they want to live off the grid, until they actually live off the grid, and many times, the romance of the idea fades quickly.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    You can go to. Mueller metal building location and they will prepare a quote for you. We have two steel buildings (not pole barns) and one is fully furnished inside. If I was moving to the country again I’d live in a steel building. They go up faster than stick construction and per square foot were cheaper - I don’t know if that’s changed or not. We had a 30 by 80 (the finished one) built in 2015 for $43K. We finished the interior ourselves for about 15K. AIr conditioning, electrical, and septic were about another 20K. We did the plumbing and the 110 electrical. Exterior and interior pics below.
    8BB5551F-ABEA-4724-9AE7-6F4EB6A936EA.jpeg
    E3DB4AC8-2E5D-4B7A-A61E-73A93C6F0393.jpeg

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I have a buddy that has some relatives that built a pole barn to store their 40' travel trailer in. The trailer has 3 pop-out sections and when fully deployed is extremely nice inside. Their plan was to build an nice 250K home about a year ago, but the contractors are from 1-2 years out before they could break ground and then with the God awful increase in the cost of materials, he's just decided to live in the TT. It's completely protected from the elements and since the TT is jacked up on its own hydraulic jacks, it's solid as a rock sitting on the slab. The pole barn is big enough to have room for both their car and truck and has full outside sink/stove facilities. It's actually very nice according to my buddy.

We are about finished with our two story barndominium that we built on out place in Fayette county. When done we will have about 89K total in it. Looking forward to having Christmas with the whole family there. We are on top of a hill and have beautiful views in all 4 directions.

Top Bottom